The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note, saw this as I was heading to bed, Andruw Jones signed with LA, 2 years 36.5 mill.

Decent signing for LA, see if he can bounce back.

I'm not disappointed to see him leave, for several reasons, but most of all a kid named Jordan Schafer who's on his way up through the system, it's a similar situation to when they had Francoeur on his way up, they don't want to block his path by signing anyone to more then 1 year (They signed Raul Mondesi, but cut him later in the year and called Francoeur up), but they aren't sure they want a kid that young to start the season on the big club, so what will likely happen is sign a veteran for a year, if he plays great, then awesome more time for Schafer to develop, and if not, we'll see him on the club by June-July.

well, i'm sad to see him gone, it won't be the same without andruw...

Guest habsfan#08
Looks like the Jays are on the verge of signing Eckstein to play short...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7558686?MSNHPHMA

...Someone else with a small bat. Among other things.

In other Jays news, Gregg Zaun was named in Mitchell's reports for substance abuse :blink::lol:

Edit: Heres the link http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Guest Habs_Benny

Mitchell Report is out, some surprising names to me, such as Andy Pettitte, Mike Stanton, and Paul Lo Duca. Should be very interesting to see where baseball goes from here.

Guest LarryRobinson

The Mitchell report is drawing the following comments down here in NY:

Is Mitchell to be believed as being unbiased, despite Boston connections?

Majority answer -- yes.

Is the report somewhat flawed in that 1/3 of all the players mentioned

have ties to the Mets or Yankee?

Majority answer - yes, my answer no. The problem here is that Mitchell did not have supoena power, meaning he couldnt force documents to be released, he did issue warrants and his best sources happened to come from the two NYC teams. To think this is the only place drugs were being taken is crazy, the point is that the Report clearly fails to 'out' many players, but thats not Mitchell's fault, its very possible even if he tried to find more links, he never wouldve.

Is this going to stop the use of performance enhancing drugs?

Majority answer - ?

One school of thought that I agree with is that 'outing' of any players on this type of scale will deter players based solely on the public arena that no one wants to be a part of.

The other school of thought is that if you look at that list of players, very few of them were great players even if they cheated. If all yout got in life is a mitt and a baseball, and the hope of a contract....would the reward be worth the risk? Perhaps.

BTW -- most Yanks fans, of which I am not, already suspected both Andy and Roger. They train together and stories about their links to roids have been out for awhile.

Guest StratfordStreak

Nothing in sports surprises me anymore.

If all of these guys are found to have used steroids, then they should be held as accountable as Bonds is apparantly going to be.

I think it's almost a given that Bonds is not going to be voted into the hall of fame, which I think is a shame because he was probably a hall of famer before he ever took his first injection.

With that said though, I think Clemens better be held to the same standard, even though I always loved the guy, and if he's not, you better beleive you are going to start hearing justified cries of racism when he is elected to the hall.

Guest StratfordStreak

David Eckstein?

Ughhhhh, I guess he'll be the guy to put the Jays over the top eh?

He has 2 more home runs, and the exact same RBI as John McDonald, the guy he's replacing, and actually had 100 more at bats, and played with better players. His Bat Avg. is much better though.

I've been a fan of the Jays since their first season when I was a kid, but as the years go by I get less and less interested as it becomes more obvious that they will never be able to compete with the almighty $$ of the RedSox and Yankees.

J.P Riccardi has been a joke as well, and has not made a good move yet as the Jays G.M.

If Pat Gillick ever came back, there would at least be a ray of hope.

Guest habs_fan1160

It's hard to punish players for 'roids when there's so many doing it. 'Roids are in every sport, whether we like it or not. I can think of a handfull off the top of my head that have had athletes with 'roids in it.

Dan Haren to D'Backs

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=225193&hubname=

Jeez, they now have one of, if not the best, 1-2 punch in the league.

Agreed, that's a great 1-2 punch, I looked at them as pretenders, last year they didn't impress me as much as their record would suggest, but this makes them the class of the NL imo, Webb and Haren is the best 1-2 in the NL, possibly baseball.

I don't understand them turning around and trading their allstar closer, like fine they got some ok pieces back, but still a head scratcher.

Maybe he's arbitration eligible and they couldn't afford the raise he'd get?

Nothing in sports surprises me anymore.

If all of these guys are found to have used steroids, then they should be held as accountable as Bonds is apparantly going to be.

I think it's almost a given that Bonds is not going to be voted into the hall of fame, which I think is a shame because he was probably a hall of famer before he ever took his first injection.

With that said though, I think Clemens better be held to the same standard, even though I always loved the guy, and if he's not, you better beleive you are going to start hearing justified cries of racism when he is elected to the hall.

I disagree, I think there's no way Bonds is kept out of the hall, for a few reasons.

A.) With Bonds, there's no question the steroids helped him, but there's no way the steroids made him a hall of fame player, like you said, he was a hall of famer long before he bulked up and started hitting the ball 500 feet. Big Mac is a different case, his greatness was 100% on his power, and therefore a case could be made, if you think the steroids are why he had that power, that the steroids made him a great player. Bonds, you can't make that case, in fact, I think I could make a case Bonds was a BETTER player before he started talking steroids, he still had very good power, was able to run and steal bases, still had the great eye, and also played gold glove defense.

B.) I think the fact we see so many guys have taken steroids, that the conception that steroids turn you from a minor leaguer to a guy who can hit 600 homers or win 250 games has been proven very false. How many minor league pitchers have been caught juicing? Yet none of them are Clemens. So these guys aren't great just because of juice, I think you gotta put them both in the hall, they did take steroids, and so did a large majority of the guys they played against.

The fact is, steroids weren't illegal in baseball at the time, blame baseball all you want, but not the players, they were doing something that wasn't against league rules to get an advantage. Yes I understand it's immoral, so is throwing a spitball, and there are guys who threw a spitball, or scuffed the ball, or corked their bat in the hall.

Guest Brisebois
Agreed, that's a great 1-2 punch, I looked at them as pretenders, last year they didn't impress me as much as their record would suggest, but this makes them the class of the NL imo, Webb and Haren is the best 1-2 in the NL, possibly baseball.

I have to disagree with Webb/Haren being the best 1-2 punch in baseball. I would rank Sabathia/Carmona higher. And we still don't know where Santana will end up. If he's traded to the Red Sox they have without a doubt the best 1-2 punch in the league with Beckett and Santana. But they'll also have a chance to it without Santana. If Dice-K makes similiar progress than Beckett in his second season with Boston they could dominate.

I have to disagree with Webb/Haren being the best 1-2 punch in baseball. I would rank Sabathia/Carmona higher. And we still don't know where Santana will end up. If he's traded to the Red Sox they have without a doubt the best 1-2 punch in the league with Beckett and Santana. But they'll also have a chance to it without Santana. If Dice-K makes similiar progress than Beckett in his second season with Boston they could dominate.

Carmona had a great year, no question, I want to see him do it again before I rank him that highly, in 06 he was 1-10 with a 5.4 ERA as a reliever/spot starter. I love his arm, and I don't doubt he can do it again, but until he does, I rank Webb and Haren ahead of him.

It looks less and less likely the Sox will get Santana, if they do, yes that's a great 1-2 punch, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dice K has as many question marks as Carmona. Going into next year, I'd take Webb and Haren over either of those 1-2 punches

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HABSrockmyboat

if aj burnett can ever stay healthy and play the way he is supposed to play the jays could be in the top 5 in the league with a one two punch in pitching.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bunglehab

really like what the tigers have done they got

granderson

polanco

ordonez

cabrera

sheffield

guillen

renteria

pudge

inge

plus they added jacque jones.......add verlander,willis,bonderman,robertson and roger's (if he can stay healthy) which is a pretty good rotation.........only downside is that pile they call a closer todd jones but if zumaya can get back to the way he was throwing a year ago then it might not be that much of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
really like what the tigers have done they got

granderson

polanco

ordonez

cabrera

sheffield

guillen

renteria

pudge

inge

plus they added jacque jones.......add verlander,willis,bonderman,robertson and roger's (if he can stay healthy) which is a pretty good rotation.........only downside is that pile they call a closer todd jones but if zumaya can get back to the way he was throwing a year ago then it might not be that much of a problem.

I think with the changes made you'd have to call the Tigers the best team in the bigs going into Spring Training, I love what they've done.

Guest HabSteve
Johan Santana was traded to the Mets.

In one way I'm happy he didn't end up with the Red Sox or Yankees, Sox because I didn't want to see Elsbury traded and Yankees because..... u know, who wants to see them win. :P

But I feel bad for Twins fan who now see one of the best pitcher being traded for prospect and signing a huge deal elsewhere. (well it aint done yet but it will come)

In one way I'm happy he didn't end up with the Red Sox or Yankees, Sox because I didn't want to see Elsbury traded and Yankees because..... u know, who wants to see them win. :P

But I feel bad for Twins fan who now see one of the best pitcher being traded for prospect and signing a huge deal elsewhere. (well it aint done yet but it will come)

The Twins had better packages on the table in the Winter Meetings from the Sox and Yankees, they overplayed their hand and had to settle for the Mets package, but if they didn't demand Kennedy from the Yankees as the 3rd prospect, they could have got Hughes, Melky and another prospect. The Sox also had a better package then this on the table.

Twins overplayed their hand, then got desperate to move him and lost their power.

Guest FlHabsFan

Looking for another good year out of the yankees. Im torn though. Don Mattingly is now a coach of the Dodgers, and he is my all time favorite living baseball player. And I really resepct Torre as a coach Gonna suck that they traded in their pinstripes for dodger blues. (especially since unless I want to drive to miami or atlanta, I wont see his team play). But thats all Steinbrenner's fault.

Joe brought 4 world titles to broadway in 10 years. And for the past almost 30 years, Donnie has been what Yankee Pride and Respect is all about. Both on and off the field. And how are they rewarded? With a slap in the face. They basically gave Torre an awful proposal, probably expecting him to turn it down. Then give Girardi a the coaches reins over Donny and more money then they offered Joe.

And the Yankees are still in the same situation theyve been for the last 4-5 years. Their pitching rotation sucks, or is getting older. Rivera is pushing 40, and starting to lose his fast ball. He isnt the intimidating factor he use to be. Pettite and Mussina are on the verge of retirement. And dont even bring up Clemens. 1 yr $20m contract. If Rodriguez, Jeter and the rest of the guys dont pump up the run volume like last year, then this years results will be the same or worse.

The offense was the only thing clicking. So lets blame the coach instead of getting players that can actually pitch!

Guest Brisebois
And the Yankees are still in the same situation theyve been for the last 4-5 years. Their pitching rotation sucks, or is getting older. Rivera is pushing 40, and starting to lose his fast ball. He isnt the intimidating factor he use to be. Pettite and Mussina are on the verge of retirement. And dont even bring up Clemens. 1 yr $20m contract. If Rodriguez, Jeter and the rest of the guys dont pump up the run volume like last year, then this years results will be the same or worse.

The offense was the only thing clicking. So lets blame the coach instead of getting players that can actually pitch!

Even though I'm a Red Sox fan I have to disagree. The Yankees pitching rotation is getting younger and better. Wang will be 28 on opening day, Hughes 21 and Kennedy who might be a good no. 3 starter just 23. That's 3 of 5 pitchers that are still young. I believe Joba will end up in the bullpen.

The Yankees should me more concerned about their offense. Those players are getting older. Matsui, Damon, Giambi, Abreu und even Jeter are on the decline or maybe even had their best years in the past.