The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

As a long time Sox fan , as have just been kicked in the kneecaps with the news that the ALCS series against Tampa is not available on my Starchoice dish !! What the hell ? It is on TBS nationally in the States....according to Starchoice, the channel they carry now is called Peachtree ( a TBS of shoot) , a long list of various crappy shows...no playoff baseball......how the hell does this happen ?....Tin Cup ? no Red Sox in the American League Championship Series ? This is rediculous....I wonder if Bell has it !! I gotta switch........................thanks , I just needed a place to vent.

No one in Canada gets TBS legally anymore as far as I know (I could be wrong). The Red Sox games are on the Rogers Sportsnet channels though, do you get them? I just finished watching the game on Sportsnet.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have found that Bell Expressvu does have TBS but it is under thier movie channel group which is like 20 bucks a month extra. I do have all 4 Sportsnet feeds though , maybe in my panicked state I didn't take a hard enough look for it....tomorrow I definitely will ! Let's hope that the Habs and the Sox can pull off the double tomorrow , we should be good as long as Mike Timlin gets dropped off on a deserted island somewhere.

Thank God you were right about Sportsnet...I guess I was comletely spazzing out the other night not being able to find it...too many damn channels......I was definitely tuned in last night to see one of the greatest comebacks in playoff history !!! I don't feel super confident about Beckett tomorrow but hey, these are the Sox I'm alking about right ? They got 'em right where they want'em.....A guy at Fenway had a great sign last night " Down 3-1 in the series ? been there , won that " gotta love playoff baseball.

Well the Red Sox won another one when facing elimination. Now game 7 is coming up. This series deserved going to 7 games as both teams play in the best division in baseball. Anything can happen in game 7 but I think this young Rays team is now scared to death. Btw I know James Shields is a good youn pitcher but who gave him the nickname "Big Game"? He never pitched in a meaningful and big game priorto this postseason.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
WTG BoSox... 1 more win and they are on to the Big Show. I'm a big fan of Jason Bay and he has proved his worth during the play offs..

I'm all with you there: Red Sox are only 1 away from going to the big show once more and I would love to see them go to the World Series once more in a blazing fashion. The reason why I watch a little bit of baseball since the Expos left are the Boston Red Sox destroying the curse to become the top dog, and I would be more than happy watching another chapter of this legend around this team since the 2004 ALCS.

As a newcomer to baseball, I had no previous attachment to any team, chose the Devil Rays as I saw the David vs Goliath (salary mass, overall publicity around the series) matchup for this series, and I'm kind of happy now. This seventh game was a good show even for I, who is new to the game so I guess it was a good advertisement for the sport in general. Good game, really.

I'm a Red Sox fan who has now to root for the Phillies. I respect the Rays team and they deserved to win it but I just can't stand a team with such pathetic fans.

I'm not going to totally defend their fans because I agree, a lot of what happens in Tampa is embarrassing... BUT, I will say that they play in a dump, they never had any real commitment to winning and as bad as the fanbase is, the ownership didn't do anything to help it. I put as much blame on the organization (till now I suppose) as I do the fans (or lack thereof)

As for David Price, wow, he's going to be special.

I can't stand the "trop" . What a disgrace to baseball . First place team all year and they couldn't draw flies. Stacked with exciting young talent, yawn. They had to get to the ALCS before anyone even gave a damn . Kinda like the year the Lightning won the Cup , another tragedy. The thing that kinda bugs me about the Rays (besides thier lame stadium) is the fact that they have done this overnight, thier fans also remind me of the Avalanche fans in '95, 'hey we have a hockey team...hey we won the cup,cool!" I know , the Rays have sucked for a long time but still.

Also , before slamming the Sox for thier payroll (yes,it is huge), a big percentage of this club,especially the bulk of thier best players, were draft picks (Pedroia,Youkilis,Lester,Ellsbury,Papelbon,Lowrie). Many of thier other top players (Beckett,Crisp,Bay) were obtained by trading very highly rated prospects (who they had drafted-Marte,Hanley Ramirez,Moss) . David Ortiz was claimed off waivers . This is not a club made up entirely of free agent signings (Yankees).

Time will tell but but If the Rays win the Series (wich they should be the favourite to ) keep an eye on them because I think they may well become the next Florida Marlins. ( Completely disassembled shortly after winning it all ).

The Sox may be big budget , but they are commited to winning and they do it from the ground up.(and they play in an actual ballpark)

Bring on Spring training !

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
I'm a Red Sox fan who has now to root for the Phillies. I respect the Rays team and they deserved to win it but I just can't stand a team with such pathetic fans.

I feel the same as well as a Red Sox fan myself. The Rays are the exact same portrait as the Tampa Bay Lightning are: nobody giving a damn before the team wins, shite fan support, building overrun by away fans, etc.

I hope the Rays will disintegrate somehow soon, and quicker if they lose the World Series.

I can't stand the "trop" . What a disgrace to baseball . First place team all year and they couldn't draw flies. Stacked with exciting young talent, yawn. They had to get to the ALCS before anyone even gave a damn . Kinda like the year the Lightning won the Cup , another tragedy. The thing that kinda bugs me about the Rays (besides thier lame stadium) is the fact that they have done this overnight, thier fans also remind me of the Avalanche fans in '95, 'hey we have a hockey team...hey we won the cup,cool!" I know , the Rays have sucked for a long time but still.

Time will tell but but If the Rays win the Series (wich they should be the favourite to ) keep an eye on them because I think they may well become the next Florida Marlins. ( Completely disassembled shortly after winning it all ).

The Sox may be big budget , but they are commited to winning and they do it from the ground up.(and they play in an actual ballpark)

I suppose the Rays could be disassembled, but the difference is they have mostly young cheap guys, unlike particularly the 97 Marlins, Longoria is locked up, all of their staff is young and cheap, I suppose Crawford may go but he has a very cheap option I believe. So they should be OK for a few years before they HAVE to disassemble. Whether or not they decide to go that route we'll have to wait and see I suppose, but they won't find many cheaper players they have now, even if they're willing to lose 100 games.

Also , before slamming the Sox for thier payroll (yes,it is huge), a big percentage of this club,especially the bulk of thier best players, were draft picks (Pedroia,Youkilis,Lester,Ellsbury,Papelbon,Lowrie). Many of thier other top players (Beckett,Crisp,Bay) were obtained by trading very highly rated prospects (who they had drafted-Marte,Hanley Ramirez,Moss) . David Ortiz was claimed off waivers . This is not a club made up entirely of free agent signings (Yankees).

Not that it really matters, but Marte was actually a Braves farmhand (who was actually really highly touted) that the Braves traded to the Sox for a UFA signing in Renteria (and the Sox eating a good portion of Renteria's salary) so they used their sufficient resources there. Also, Ramirez was a huge UFA signing, and they paid all his 20 million to make the deal work, something a normal resource team wouldn't be able to do. So they used their resources indirectly to get Bay as well.

Ortiz wasn't really claimed, he was released before the season by the Twins, and was UFA, and the Red Sox signed him. Steinbrenner wanted him but Cashman decided against it.

As for the Yankees, maybe now they have a lot of UFAs, but their last dynasty was built from the ground up with guys like Jeter, Posada, Williams, Rivera, Pettite as the main core of that. Right now, they're starting to find their way again... They have as deep a system as anyone, they got several good young arms and I love Robinson Cano despite a down first half. A lot of people think he has the potential to win a batting title one day.

I'm a Braves fan, so I don't like the Yankees either, but their one CC Sabathia (and Wang behind healthy) away from being atleast the co-best team in the world, and they have a deep farm system to supplement like the Red Sox do if they need to call up a kid or make a trade.

These teams have unlimited money to poor into scouting and player development, so it should be no surprise.

Wow,you're good ! I think I have met my match and then some as far as baseball talk !

Good call on the Marte thing , I had forgotten that. I was almost going to mention that the Rays could keep this group together for a while but I didn't want to hurt my own argument. Give it a couple of years though , crowds will start to dwindle again next year probably and the fire sale will be on in a couple of years ( Maybe, I guess time will tell ) Yes the Yanks and Sox pour big dollars into scouting,but the Sox probably have two recent draftees in the final MVP voting this year Youk,Ped) while I don't think the Yankees can lay claim to anything like that recently. Cano is good but he has gone from .340 to .306 to .271 in the last 3 years. ( I know he raked down the stretch this year but I actually dumped him from my fantasy team half way through the year , he was killing me, then he killed me again by heating up, but that's another story).Pedroia missed the AL batting crown by .002 with almost 120 more ab's. With the draft position the Rays have had over the years, a blind monkey could have picked those studs.

If you are interested , I semi-organize a baseball draft through the CBS Sportsline website ( very good) . They have tons of options for what type you want ; rottiserie 4x4,5x5 , AL ,NL, both leagues,head to head etc.. The website takes care of it all , totally free,10 person leagues. Live draft or automated , you can tweak your player rankings before the automated draft. Weekly line-up changes,trades,free agents. I called the league " Canadian Seamheads " and opened it to Canadian baseball guys. Last year the ten of us were from coast to coast. Just thought you might be interested,keep an eye on this board in March. PS As far as the Braves go , two years ago I bought a really nice autographed Pete Orr card. Love that Canadian content. Speaking of which,what are Thorman's chances for full time work ? How 'bout that Joey Votto ? I'm looking forward to the World Baseball Classic this year,we could do some real damage if everyone shows up.

Nice talkin' ball with ya.

Yes the Yanks and Sox pour big dollars into scouting,but the Sox probably have two recent draftees in the final MVP voting this year Youk,Ped) while I don't think the Yankees can lay claim to anything like that recently. Cano is good but he has gone from .340 to .306 to .271 in the last 3 years. ( I know he raked down the stretch this year but I actually dumped him from my fantasy team half way through the year , he was killing me, then he killed me again by heating up, but that's another story).Pedroia missed the AL batting crown by .002 with almost 120 more ab's. With the draft position the Rays have had over the years, a blind monkey could have picked those studs.

I'm not comparing the 2 right now, the Sox group of young, active MLB players is second to none, the Yankees just aren't that bad, and they have some good stuff coming. I was trying to compare the Red Sox now, to the last Yankees dynasty when they built from the ground up more or less, with guys like Jeter, Posada, Rivera ect. Those Yankee teams actually didn't have that much star power when you think about it, a lot of unsung guys.

As for the Rays, it's like the Penguins in the NHL, it was just bound to happen with all the top picks they had. Imagine if they had kept Josh Hamilton? Put him in that outfield right now. (They gave him away for nothing in the waiver draft recently because of his drug problems) He was a number 1 pick of theirs though.

what are Thorman's chances for full time work ? How 'bout that Joey Votto ? I'm looking forward to the World Baseball Classic this year,we could do some real damage if everyone shows up.

Nice talkin' ball with ya.

Thorman's chances aren't very good. He had a chance after the Laroche trade and before the Tex trade and he hit .216. He's definitely got major league pop, but his swing has a ton of holes in it and he's already 26-27. We got an OK guy at 1st right now in Kotchman, and Thorman cleared waivers (I think) last year for us to send him down to AAA.

I love Joey Votto, he's already an upper echelon 1B imo, and I think he will be a 40 double, 30 homer guy for a lot of years. There's a big Reds fan actually who posts around here, Onzeee.

I like Canada's staff for the World Baseball, I like it a lot, especially if Jeff Francis can refind his form. Ryan Dempster going back to starting, and becoming one of the better starters in the NL helps the case. Harden if healthy is almost unhittable. Bedard still has great stuff... How many of those guys will be there? Any clue, I haven't heard much yet.

I'll keep an eye out for your fantasy league for sure.

Ohh wow. The Tampa Bay Rays are going to the World Series. Who would have predicted that? From worst to first... in one short year.

Now... my baseball loyalties are in St. Louis (and they always have been). And that is not changing anytime soon. I love that team dearly. But, as a baseball fan, how could you NOT love the story that the Rays have written this year? Worst team in baseball in 2007. Everyone was doubting them all year... even after they swept the Cubs, the "best team in baseball." There were doubters after they swept Boston in the beginning of July. Still doubters when they won the AL East. No one believed this team was for real... except the fans and the players in the clubhouse. Now they've won the AL Pennant and have a damn good shot at a World Series Championship.

This entire team is so much fun to watch. There's something different about this team... they're special. When I was sitting at Tropicana Field on June 1st, I could just feel something. It seriously sounds cheesy, but it's the truth. Maybe it's just because other than that instance, I've never been able to see a team that I'm rooting for play at home, but wow. That atmosphere was amazing. From that one game, the Rays gave me some pretty damn good memories. My first sporting event with one of my best friends, and a Rays win thanks to a Gabe Gross walk-off homer in the bottom of the 10th inning. The endless escalator ride and stair stepping to section 300, row W. That experience was probably one of the most amazing sports experiences that I've ever seen in person.

I'm completely in awe of this team, and I'm rooting for them all the way. They have a great story going, and I truly believe that this will have a perfect, storybook ending.

Go Rays!

Okay... this thread just makes me angry. I don't speak my 100% opinion often, but I just can't hold back here.

You all want to talk about how the Rays have bad fans.... but a lot of Red Sox fans aren't the best in baseball either. I'm not going to group ALL Sox fans into one group, just like you all shouldn't group ALL Rays fans into one group. Of course the Sox are going to have more fans... they play in an historic park, and have been around forever... and spend a lot of money, and recently have won a couple championships. There's a lot of bandwagon fans in Boston too, that decided to like baseball after 2004. The Rays are a new team, and it takes a long time to build up a decent fan base. I could probably go on for hours about certain BoSox fans that I've come into contact with, but I will spare everyone because it would probably just get me into more trouble.

And the Trop... it's not THAT bad. It's not the most glamorous park that I've ever been to... but it's usable. The atmosphere in that place this year was dynamic.

Of COURSE winning teams are going to have bigger fan bases... The exception being the Cubs, and that's because they're the "lovable losers," and people want to be able to claim that they've always been a Cubs fan if they ever decide to win a championship again.