The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Congrats to the Phillies team..... not the fans :P

Seriously though. An interesting end to the series, but I'm just glad they didn't cut it short by calling the game after 5 the other night.

How many days til pitchers and catchers report? lol

Go Cardinals :)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it'll be an exciting off-season with all the free agents.

Very exciting. Braves actually have some money to spend this winter and some major needs to address so I'm excited to see where this goes.

Off-topic but I'll put an over/under of 10 years for a salary cap to be implemented into baseball, what's your guys guess?

I'll never be able to understand how the MLB can justify being the only major sport not to have one.

Won't happen, and if you look at what the NHL had to go through to get one it would take ATLEAST that in baseball and maybe more based on a stronger union. With the amount of money both sides are making right now it doesn't make sense to shut it down for a year (or more).

I think you'll see a stricter luxury tax, which IMO is better suited to baseball. The parity is baseball right now is fine, 8 different champions in the last 9 years.

IF baseball ever got into an NHL type situation where they were losing money, and really had no national TV contract to lose by locking out for a year, you may see it, but with the way money is flowing in it just doesn't make sense.

I'm not Roy but I think Andruw Jones is washed up.

Yeah probably. I mean, if LA ate a huge portion of his contract it MAYBE worth it. I loved Andruw, but there's been some suggestion that he lied about his age when he came over, which isn't exactly rare. So maybe he's older then people think and that's part of his downfall?

He hasn't been in great shape for a while, he has holes in his swing. Bobby seemed to get a lot out of him though, so again, if we got him for 5 million or under and didn't give up much in a trade then I wouldn't be opposed.

However, I saw his Atlanta house on MTV Cribs and I can see why he wants to comeback.

First things first, offseason player movement a few days away.

Exciting time for sure, the first GMs meetings of the offseason are set to begin Monday and word is we could see a lot of action.

I love the MLB website, the media is cutting edge, it's not just "Everything is great" type stories, ala the NHL site.

There are real rumors, real reports before things are officially announced. I think baseball's early acceptance of how important this median really is, is why their revenues have been at record highs for a few years. Great exposure.

Also starting in the new year, there will be an official MLB Network.

I give them a 1% chance of ever mentioning the Blue Jays....

I've heard, but to be totally honest I haven't done any homework on this new channel yet. Will it be available in Canada? What kind of programming are we looking at? Similar to the NHL/NFL networks?

I've heard, but to be totally honest I haven't done any homework on this new channel yet. Will it be available in Canada? What kind of programming are we looking at? Similar to the NHL/NFL networks?

Basically, they'll have around 30 games during the year televised, post game highlights and analysis, classic game etc.

They'll also be covering the 2009 WBC, so far doesn't look like it'll be available on cable packages in Canada. Doesn't affect me but sucks for you roy unless you have a satellite provider.

Basically, they'll have around 30 games during the year televised, post game highlights and analysis, classic game etc.

They'll also be covering the 2009 WBC, so far doesn't look like it'll be available on cable packages in Canada. Doesn't affect me but sucks for you roy unless you have a satellite provider.

I have digital cable but would very seriously consider a switch to satellite if it meant getting the channel so I'll have to look into it.

I wanted to know what you guys thought about Bud Selig's work so far as commish? Compared to a guy like Bettman.

I have digital cable but would very seriously consider a switch to satellite if it meant getting the channel so I'll have to look into it.

I wanted to know what you guys thought about Bud Selig's work so far as commish? Compared to a guy like Bettman.

I don't hate Bettman as much as other people do, the consensus around Canada is to boo Gary because hes "anti-Canada" or whatever, but the man is simpky doing what the owners asked of him which is to expand into the US.

Canada is and probably always will be guaranteed revenue so thers noot much as need by the NHL to worry too much about us.

There was the lockout, but it was mainly due to the game getting out of control defensively and thereby losing fans which is hard for a commisonner to address easily.

I just hate Selig, probably about the same way Canadians hate Bettman.

The Expos was a big one, how Selig could just stand by and let Loria do what he did and watch the franchise crumble is beyond me.

Keeping mum on the steroids issue, letting Bonds and Clemens take the fall for what was equally if not more his fault.

Hes done good things, the wildcard in the playoffs, a very good all-star event, interleague, but I still can`t see past some of his errors.

I just hate Selig, probably about the same way Canadians hate Bettman.

The Expos was a big one, how Selig could just stand by and let Loria do what he did and watch the franchise crumble is beyond me.

Keeping mum on the steroids issue, letting Bonds and Clemens take the fall for what was equally if not more his fault.

Hes done good things, the wildcard in the playoffs, a very good all-star event, interleague, but I still can`t see past some of his errors.

I don't hate Bettman either and I think he gets too much blame for owners poor decisions (although I guess that comes with the job.)

I think Selig is totally underrated. He's not a good speaker, he looks so goofy with his hair, glasses and weird looking suits but revenues are at all time highs, attendance is great, the MLB's online property is by far the most valuable and cutting edge in sports.

Someone on the radio made a great point about Bud, when's the last time you remember an owner speaking out? He has control, he has all of them on the same page and that's hard. He's taken baseball through 2 straight peaceful labor negotiations.

Overall, like you said some nice innovations, interleague, wildcard and I love the World Baseball Classic... It still has a ways to go, but I love the premise. I did my homework on the new Baseball channel and read some interesting things.

"MLB Network will be the largest and most successful debut in cable television history, exceeding any other cable television launch by approximately 20 million."

Since Bud took over, 20 teams have been awarded new Stadiums.

I know about the bad, everyone does, but overall I think he's done the owners REAL good.

Also you'll be interested in this roy.

ESPN interviewed several GM's and informative baseball people and the majority think Jake Peavy will be a Brave by the time the offseason ends.

I read that, however I don't think it will happen. Frank Wren already said that he won't trade our core prospects, the kids he calls "the next wave". I'm almost positive that 1-2 of those kids would have to be involved, the Padres apparently love Tommy Hanson. So unless Wren changes his stance, I don't think we can get it done.

I think there's a lot of concern with Peavy's elbow and violent delivery going forward, he looks like a very serious Tommy John candidate, also his home-road splits from last year are slightly concerning.

Same thing with Holliday his home-away splits cause concern but its more of a fact of watching the player.

Does the pitcher have good stuff and hit his spots?

Does the hitter make good contact consistently and hit the ball hard?

Ballparks are always a factor but it a guy is talented hes talented.

For Peavy though its different than most trades of superstars, this guy is locked up at a pretty reasonable price.

Although I've also been reading that people close to the situation think the Padres will ask for 3 if not 4 good prospects.

Same thing with Holliday his home-away splits cause concern but its more of a fact of watching the player.

Does the pitcher have good stuff and hit his spots?

Does the hitter make good contact consistently and hit the ball hard?

Ballparks are always a factor but it a guy is talented hes talented.

For Peavy though its different than most trades of superstars, this guy is locked up at a pretty reasonable price.

Although I've also been reading that people close to the situation think the Padres will ask for 3 if not 4 good prospects.

I heard it was 2 top prospects, a good young middle infielder with MLB experience (a Yunel Escobar/Kelly Johnson type guy from our standpoint) and maybe another midlevel prospect to top it off.

I just don't know that Jake is worth it. Our system is deep right now, but after the Teixeira debacle I don't know that we can afford another big trade that guts our system.

However as a Braves fan are you willing to give up say Heyward and one of maybe Hanson or Medlen along with the middle infielder and such?

No, I think the organization ranks Heyward as absolutely untouchable in this deal and I can see why, this kid looks special. Hanson I'm not as opposed to give up as some Braves fans, I'd give up one of the middle infielders, preferably Kelly Johnson as I think Yunel has the potential to be a upper echelon SS even still.

We have 2 top notch CF prospects, Schafer and gorkys hernandez who we got from the Tigers with Jurrjens in the Renteria deal. I heard both are on the list that Wren doesn't want to trade but I'd give up Gorkys, who was ranked as the 50th best prospect in all baseball.

Hanson, Hernandez and Kelly Johnson seems like about as far as I'd go. A lot of Braves fans, from what I've read, thinks even that's WAY too much.