The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Braves fans wouldn't do it, in all sports fans overvalue their prospects and think they always have the next big thing.

Also was Gorkys ranked 50th by Baseball America? Because as smart a ball fan as you are roy you must know better than that to listen to them.

Well there's other factors here, lots of teams/experts are worried about Peavy's health going forward and with his delivery and history that's legitimate.

Lots of Braves fans feel we gave up too much of our future in the Teixeira trade, so I'm not sure it's even totally about over valuing prospects as much as not wanting to kill our system here, we're not a big money team that can go fill hole after hole on the market, we need kids to come up and fill a role cheap so we can have high priced guys elsewhere.

Also, it's not about listening to them, I'm indifferent towards Baseball America, but I meant it as in most Braves fans use that as a rallying cry on forums to keep Gorkys, and I'm saying despite them thinking/saying that, I'd be willing to move him in a heartbeat.

I think Schafer is the better looking kid in center, atleast from what I've seen/read. Wren keeps talking about this "core" of prospects going forward that he won't trade for Peavy, and he won't name names but I can say with certainty that Heyward is on that list, probably Tommy Hansen, I'm not sure about a kid like Julio Teheran who's 17 and is pretty highly thought of. I think the Padres want more immediate help anyway. Freddie Freeman, again is pretty highly thought of as a young 1B but they have AGone so I doubt he's that interesting.

So basically, if what Wren is implying is true, Heyward and Hansen stay, then all we really have is one of our good young CFers, a good young established middle infielder and not much else that we seem willing to move.

I don't know if it has more to do with Wren not wanting to give up the prospects, or having his reservations about Peavy going forward.

@ roy 133

You might be interessted in the following.

Link To Braves news

I'm told the Braves have already offered a major league contract to Junichi Tazawa, the Japanese right-hander who's drawn serious interest from Boston, Seattle and possibly the Cubs and Marlins.

I'm still trying to find out how much the Braves have offered Tazawa, but I'm told by one person familiar with Japanese baseball that was probably comparable to what a high first-round draft pick might get. Of that, I'm just not sure.

The Red Sox had reportedly been the most aggressive team with Tazawa, but this major league offer by the Braves might have changed that perception. Unless the Red Sox have already made an offer that's been kept secret, which seems unlikely given the veracity with which the Japanese media has covered developments in this story.

One major league team official told me today that Tazawa is comparable to Tim Hudson, but with a better curveball. He was described as a "battler" who has a mid-90s fastball, a split-finger pitch and a big, old-school 12-to-6 curveball (that's a term that refers to the big downward break of the pitch, as in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions on a clock).

Padres GM Kevin Towers told the San Diego Union Tribune that he is "down the road" in talks with two of the following three teams -- the Braves, Cubs and Dodgers -- regarding a deal for Peavy, but he doesn't see the trade happening before the end of the GM meetings.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, sources say the Cubs have only limited interest in Peavy, and Cubs GM Jim Hendry insists he hasn't had serious talks about any players.

Padres GM Kevin Towers told the San Diego Union Tribune that he is "down the road" in talks with two of the following three teams -- the Braves, Cubs and Dodgers -- regarding a deal for Peavy, but he doesn't see the trade happening before the end of the GM meetings.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, sources say the Cubs have only limited interest in Peavy, and Cubs GM Jim Hendry insists he hasn't had serious talks about any players.

The Cubs have emerged as a front-runner in the Peavy sweepstakes, perhaps even ahead of the Braves, according to major-league sources.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761340...Peavy,-Dempster

Damn hot stove and its inaccuracy lolol.

How did the term hot stove start anyways? Pretty cool baseball is the only one with a name for its offseason.

Sources have told FoxSports.com that the Cubs have emerged as a front-runner for Peavy, perhaps even ahead of the Braves.

But ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports that Padres GM Kevin Towers is prepared to keep the 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner if the Padres are unable to get value in return that is commensurate with his remarkable track record.

Given the Padres' move to cut payroll and other uncertainties within the organization, the team might be forced to make a below-value deal, although Peavy could use his no-trade clause to stall or steer negotiations. According to Olney, the Braves and Padres may well strike a deal built around shortstop Yunel Escobar, center fielder Jordan Schafer, pitcher Charlie Morton, and one more pitching prospect. The Padres are known to have interest in left-hander Jeff Locke, a 20-year-old who pitched in Class A last season.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Padres would still like to get hot pitching prospect Tommy Hanson, but the Braves have refused to include him.

Meanwhile, the New York Daily News says the Yankees' chances of acquiring Peavy are getting better considering the roadblocks the Padres have encountered with other teams. A source told the Daily News that the Yankees could put together a package built around Phil Hughes and Austin Jackson, although they would need to include a few more players, perhaps even Ian Kennedy. The source also said the Padres have no interest in Robinson Cano.

The whole World Series fiasco with the rain this year was one more reason why I think Bud Selig needs to go. If you really want to make the World Baseball Classic really exciting and fun for the fans, why not have a tournament during what is now All-Star week. The All Star Game is the biggest joke in all baseball - the skills competitions and the home-run derby is more fun to watch than the game. It would not kill baseball to take one week off to hold this event, and I think the fans would love it. You could have regional competition early on, and the semifinalists and finalists would meet in one place, where the All Star Game would have been held - in a different city each year. I love the concept, but I think it should be played in place of the All Star Game, not in spring training. This way, we can see the players at their best.

The Gold Glove award has always intrigued me... Here's this years winners:

National League:

C: Yadier Molina, STL

1B: Adrian Gonzalez, SD

2B: Brandon Phillips, CIN

3B: David Wright, NYM

SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI

OF: Nate McLouth, PIT

OF: Carlos Beltran, NYM

OF: Shane Victorino, PHI

P: Greg Maddux, LAD

American League:

C: Joe Mauer, MIN

1B: Carlos Pena, TB

2B: Dustin Pedroia, BOS

3B: Adrian Beltre, SEA

SS: Michael Young, TEX

OF: Torii Hunter, LAA

OF: Grady Sizemore, CLE

OF: Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

P: Mike Mussina, NYY

A few of the NL ones surprised me. Now, I'm not going to hide that my absolute favorite player in baseball is Yadier Molina. I believe that the last 2 years he got robbed of the GG Award... losing to Brad Ausmus in 2006 and Russell Martin last year. Now, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that he won this year. But... it was probably his worst defensive year that he's had. He did have a respectable offensive year, though, which obviously shouldn't have any impact on the GG, but everyone knows it does. I'm left to wonder if giving Molina the award this year was to make up for the last 2 years. *shrug* I dunno. I suppose I should just be thrilled that he won this year, and leave it at that. I guess I'm just still bitter that he was robbed of it the past 2 seasons :P

The Gold Gloves Awards are a joke anyway. They are more a reputation award than about real achievement that season. Otherwise Torii Hunter wouldn't win it everyyear when his defensive play is declining. Or when a few years ago Rafael Palmeiro won the GG Award as first basemen despite only playing 28 games at first base and winnig the silver slugger as a DH.

When Nate McClouth, who was one of the worst fielders in the league this year

http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbib...leaders2-08.gif

it shows how in the trash the system is... the fielder has to be a decent name AND be good offensively (why that matters for a defensive award I'll never know).

Theres a few other bad choices "cough cough Pedroia" but its the same argument all around.

The whole World Series fiasco with the rain this year was one more reason why I think Bud Selig needs to go.

Actually I think he handled it perfectly considering Fox has his hands tied and I'm a Selig hater.

If you really want to make the World Baseball Classic really exciting and fun for the fans, why not have a tournament during what is now All-Star week. The All Star Game is the biggest joke in all baseball -

Its one of the better all-star games if not the best in all of sports. Did you not watch it this year it was epic!

the skills competitions and the home-run derby is more fun to watch than the game.

Theres a skill competition in baseball??

It would not kill baseball to take one week off to hold this event, and I think the fans would love it.

Actually it would, part of the fiasco you stated before about the World Series is in due part that the season is too long.

You could have regional competition early on, and the semifinalists and finalists would meet in one place, where the All Star Game would have been held - in a different city each year. I love the concept, but I think it should be played in place of the All Star Game, not in spring training. This way, we can see the players at their best.

The MLBPA and teams will NEVER agree to it. The WBC is an event played at an high intensity level where people take a lot of pride playing for their country and to place it during the middle of the season when players usually have their breaks (more players in WBC than the all-star game) and to add unnecessary innings onto a pitching staff is crazy.

According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, the Cubs have moved in front of the Braves in the battle for Peavy. Passan says the Padres want Jeff Samardzija (who has a limited no-trade clause), and the Cubs could also include players such as Felix Pie, Sean Marshall, Ronny Cedeno, Kevin Hart, and Donald Veal. Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times suggests Rich Harden or Mike Fontenot could be involved. De Luca notes that a Peavy trade would probably prevent the Cubs from acquiring Brian Roberts. ESPN's Buster Olney believes Josh Vitters would have to be involved, while the Daily Herald's Bruce Miles adds Jose Ceda, Welington Castillo, and Mitch Atkins as possibilities. Miles does not see the Cubs as a player for C.C. Sabathia, by the way.

The Padres would prefer a deal with Atlanta, but can't pry Tommy Hanson loose. The Braves are willing to trade Yunel Escobar, Charlie Morton, and Jordan Schafer, however Peavy would prefer if Yunel would remain in Atlanta.

The Blue Jays, Orioles and Yankees are the frontrunners for Manny at the moment Sports Illustrrated states as Boras and Manny may as well spit on the Dodgers 2 year 45 mil offer.

I'm basically sick of Peavy already, not at any fault of his but the way I see it is, right now the Braves are looking for quick fix after quick fix, like they did with Tex, it's time to rebuild.

The only thing making that decision hard is Chipper, and I think the organization wants to get Chipper and potentially Smoltzie one last run at a title.

Say the Braves go out and get Peavy, we still have atleast 1 big hole in the rotation, we need to upgrade our OF BIG time, need a clean up hitter, improve the bullpen to even think about competing with the Mets and Phillies, then we'd need Chipper to play 150 games, which seems boarderline impossible.

I just think it's time to go with the kids, start Schafer in center, give Hansen some innings ect and take your lumps.

The Gold Gloves Awards are a joke anyway. They are more a reputation award than about real achievement that season. Otherwise Torii Hunter wouldn't win it everyyear when his defensive play is declining. Or when a few years ago Rafael Palmeiro won the GG Award as first basemen despite only playing 28 games at first base and winnig the silver slugger as a DH.

for the most part man GG winners are deserved, im a reds fan so i will point out that Phillips had 7 errors in 706 chances... incredible

for the most part man GG winners are deserved, im a reds fan so i will point out that Phillips had 7 errors in 706 chances... incredible

sorry the forum was blowing up

The Tigers are interested in Japanese pitcher Junichi Tazawa, but team president/GM Dave Dombrowski cautions that it's "too early to tell" whether Detroit will come become major players in the pursuit of the 22-year-old right-hander, the Detroit Free Press reports.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution and ESPN.com's Keith Law, the Braves have made a formal offer to Tazawa but wouldn't confirm what the terms of the offer were.

Tazawa is also being courted by Boston, Seattle, the Chicago Cubs, Detroit, Florida and Philadelphia, according to the AJC and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. One of Japan's top prospects, he recently went undrafted in the Japanese amateur draft when he made it known he'd rather pitch in the U.S.

sorry the forum was blowing up

Thats very nice for Phillips, but does that justify Nate McClouth getting a gold glove because he barely made an error as well.

Bottom line is Utley's +- was nearly TRIPLE what Phillips was. Not to take away from Phillips because hes probably around the top 5 defensive 2nd baggers in all of baseball, but Utley is the best and he was the best this year and it really isn't close.

Surprising, up until the other day it looked like the Cards had a major inside track.

I doubt Holliday likes this too much, his home road splits weren't great and now he's moving to a major pitchers park in a new league in a walk year, could hurt his value.

The Cardinals are all talk... Mozeliak says that he's going to be aggressive this year, but after what I've seen the past few years, I know that it's all talk, no action. They have got to find someone to hit behind Pujols though... or it's going to be a repeat of last season.

I'm still holding out hope that the Cards will do something this offseason... but that's just my personality. They've got to get a new middle infield. And some bullpen help... LH relief to be specific. And another starting pitcher would be nice too. Who knows what's going to happen with Carpenter. That starting rotation has been in shambles the past 2 seasons.