The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

@ royThe talks were centered around Ryan Ludwick, but seeing by what Colorado got I guess they wanted some young ML ready pitching too which nobody likes to give up when you're trying to contend (unless you're the Beanster).

@ habsgirl I could see the Cards going for Fuentes when the action starts on the 14th or trying to get BJ Ryan from the Jays. Middle infield I say they stand pat and with starting pitching, well join the always large club.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ habsgirl I could see the Cards going for Fuentes when the action starts on the 14th or trying to get BJ Ryan from the Jays. Middle infield I say they stand pat and with starting pitching, well join the always large club.

The rumor was they were interested in Kelly Johnson from us, in a potential deal for an OFer. Those talks could potentially pick up again if the Bravos lose out in the Peavy sweepstakes. They won't trade both Yunel AND Kelly, but would definitely move one of the 2.

I think the Cards might bring Renteria back, him and Tony L got along well, he played well for a lot of years there and he's just an NL kind of guy, I know he struggled last year but he's better in the NL and it's not like they've gotten much out of that position in recent years. Also the OCab might be a possibility there.

If the Cubs win the Peavy sweepstakes and resign Desmpster, as is their goal I hear, they won't resign Wood, he's a guy who would look great in St. Lou, also taking him off a rivals roster helps. They definitely need a closer, how much are they willing to spend though? The K-Rod sweepstakes might get really interesting because I don't think any team is willing to give him the money or the years he thinks he'll get, the 2 teams that were reported as possibilities (Mets, Tigers) don't seem interested in shelling out that kind of cash for a closer and seem more focused on cheaper options like Fuetens or Wood. Also word is the Rockies may just turn around and flip Street.

@ royThe talks were centered around Ryan Ludwick, but seeing by what Colorado got I guess they wanted some young ML ready pitching too which nobody likes to give up when you're trying to contend (unless you're the Beanster).

Fuentes was on the Cards radar at the trade deadline, but of course they did nothing. I think he's their best bet at this point. I suppose that would make me a little happier than I am now.

No way are the Cards going to stand pat on middle infield... Adam Kennedy asked for a trade, and Aaron Miles can't play 2B every day... and SS? My goodness, what a mess that is. I really don't see Cesar Izturis on this team come March.

Another starter, I don't think is at the top of the list for the Cardinals. We've got a potential ace in Wainwright... and he did really well filling in for Carpenter. Thank God the debacle that was Mark Mulder is gone. I wish the best for him, though. I'd like to see him pitch again, but after watching him these past 2 years, it seems like a long shot. Wellemeyer is a decent end of the rotation starter, and Lohse will hopefully be able to have a season similar to the last one. I just hope they don't sign any more reclamation projects fro Dave Duncan...

The Atlanta Braves, full-steam ahead in their pursuit of right-hander Jake Peavy, are offering a four-player package of players, and San Diego is expected to request that Peavy waive his no-trade clause so the deal can be completed, CBSSports.com has learned.

Under terms of the deal discussed by the Braves and Padres, San Diego would receive shortstop Yunel Escobar, Class A outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, one of two starting pitchers -- Charlie Morton or Jo-Jo Reyes -- and either reliever Blaine Boyer or one of two minor-league left-handers (one of which is believed to be Jeff Locke).

The Braves have been pressuring the Padres for an answer by Friday, when the free agent market opens, because they need at least two starters -- and they want to know whether Peavy will be a Brave before they dive in. They are expected to pursue A.J. Burnett, Ryan Dempster and others -- and sign maybe one if they acquire Peavy, and two if they don't.

However, now the spotlight is close to swinging to Peavy, whose preference is said to be in Chicago with the Cubs. However, internally, the Padres view the Cubs' offer -- believed to include outfielder Felix Pie, infielder Ronny Cedeno and left-hander Sean Marshall, as being nowhere close to that of the Braves.

Whether Peavy agrees to accept a deal to Atlanta could become contingent on any number of things, including Atlanta guaranteeing Peavy's $22 million option for 2013, a full-no trade clause or travel considerations for Peavy's wife and children (the Peavys intend to keep their full-time home in San Diego, according to Axelrod).

I'm a Jays fan so this doesn't concern me, but I know a certain moderator who may have his own opinoin to chime in.

I must admit, I'm awfully excited (if this goes through). Jake is being a bit of a headcase in terms of whether or not he'll accept (which he implied he would earlier). His concerns are justified, this last year was bad, and we do need a few more pieces to contend, but he has to understand that him being onboard makes ATL a lot more attractive for potential UFAs.

And if he's question the organization's desire to win, he has to look no further then this trade, the Braves wouldn't go out and get a guy like Jake Peavy unless they were serious. Yunel I love, cannon arm, he's cheap and he's gonna be a good one but a sacrifice like that had to be made.

The knock on Peavy is his ERA, who knows what you're going to get out of him. Some seasons he puts up a godly ERA (in Petco) and others he looks terribly average.

Excluding his rookie year which was only 17 games when he had an ERA of 4.52, he had 2 season with an ERA over 4 and four season with an ERA under 3.00 with one under 2.30!!

His WHIP is very good and his K/BB rate can get a fan hard.

His IP/start ain't took pleasing as while he doesnt walk a lot of guys, he certainly uses the full arsenal to get his outs.

The knock on Peavy is his ERA, who knows what you're going to get out of him. Some seasons he puts up a godly ERA (in Petco) and others he looks terribly average.

Excluding his rookie year which was only 17 games when he had an ERA of 4.52, he had 2 season with an ERA over 4 and four season with an ERA under 3.00 with one under 2.30!!

His WHIP is very good and his K/BB rate can get a fan hard.

His IP/start ain't took pleasing as while he doesnt walk a lot of guys, he certainly uses the full arsenal to get his outs.

There's a lot of reasons to be concerned about him, his delivery, the types of pitches he's throwing consistently. Also, he's really a 5-6 inning pitcher, he throws a lot of pitches so he's not like a CC or Halladay, a TRUE ace and totally saves your pen. His big game record isn't good, his home road splits are concerning.

I'm not trying to bash the guy, I want him and I think he'd be a great first step to rebuilding our staff, the rumor of trading for him and trying to sign a Burnett, Lowe, Dempster would give us a good rotation this year, (Peavy, UFA, Jurrjens as top 3) then going forward we'd be getting Hudson back, who knows what's going on with Smoltz (I think he'll come back, but in the pen), so we'd have a great core top 4 if Hudson came back as himself, and a guy like Tommy Hansen was ready (albeit without a lefty).

We'll see I guess, but this is getting a little ridiculous if you ask me.

There's a lot of reasons to be concerned about him, his delivery, the types of pitches he's throwing consistently. Also, he's really a 5-6 inning pitcher, he throws a lot of pitches so he's not like a CC or Halladay, a TRUE ace and totally saves your pen. His big game record isn't good, his home road splits are concerning.

He reminds me sometimes of Dice-K. Throwing a lot of pitches, being unable to go deep into the game, getting in trouble and getting out of it nearly untouched.

Look like the Braves are after Burnett, Dempster and Lowe, also looks asthough they told Towers where he can shove Peavy.

I wanted Peavy, badly, but it just got to a point where it wasn't worth it anymore.

I'm dying for something to happen here, I'm checking refreshing mlbtraderumors.com consistently.

So sportsfreak, you're a Jays fan correct? What do you think you guys are going to do, let's assume for arguments sake that AJ signs else where, is a guy like Brad Penny appealing? I've heard the Jays attached to Dempster and even Manny, but I think with the Canadian Dollar sinking to where it is the Jays will be a little more cautious. Penny is a good guy, could be had a bit cheaper and he has a positive history with Arnsberg (like AJ) from their Florida days. Also maybe an innings eater like Garland.

As for a bat, which you guys need, I've heard Giambi, who could end up being an economical source of 35 homers and 90-100 RBI. I'm guessing JP and Dunn aren't going to kiss and make up anytime soon, but I think he's an underrated impact player, his OBP and OBPS are always very good and his power is off the charts. People overrate average, which is a hallow stat, and strikeouts to an extent which is just another way of making an out. His average this year was actually 30 points lower then it was in 07, his average has fluxuated a lot through out his career, going as high as .266 and as low as .215 (only 116 games), I wonder what his BABIP was.

Sabathia offered a record-breaking contract up near the 140 mil mark by guess who, the Yanks.

I never wish injuries upon anyone in sports, but the Yankees are a special exception and I wish numerous shoulder and elbow tears on CC if he goes against his statements about staying on the West Coast for pinstripes.

Wow, so somebody flashes $140 million in front of you and you say no? That's hard to believe.

And as a Brewers fan, I greatly appreciate what CC did for us this summer and wish him the best, wherever he goes. Milwaukee couldn't have had a better pitcher/teammate for the last few months of the season.

Hey roy great news, Braves are talking to San Diego about Peavy again!!!!! :lol:

The Padres apparent best suitor was the Cubs and the resigning of Dempster all but closeed the window on that trade.

I would have to imagine Atlanta has some HUGE leverage right now, Towers knows Peavy will only go to a select few places and Atlanta's GM must know hes holding a lot of good cards.

Maybe you can get him at a discount!

Hey roy great news, Braves are talking to San Diego about Peavy again!!!!! :lol:

The Padres apparent best suitor was the Cubs and the resigning of Dempster all but closeed the window on that trade.

I would have to imagine Atlanta has some HUGE leverage right now, Towers knows Peavy will only go to a select few places and Atlanta's GM must know hes holding a lot of good cards.

Maybe you can get him at a discount!

I read that, it's possible, I thought the discussion would open up again at some point just because of the lack of potential suitors. The Padres overplayed Peavy like the Twins overplayed Johan last season.