The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

But there is still some. Look at how many players the yankees have bought within recent years. And its been 7 years since their last championship. They pay a 1/4 billion dollars for a guy like A-Rod who has great stats during the season, but goes home as soon as the playoffs start. They buy all these big name players and throw bags of money at them and they still lose. While you got teams like the Rays who dont spend the same amount of cash and actually get to the series with a team of decent players instead of a team of all stars who choke.

Ya but over the last decade the Yanks still have the highest win % of any team, the playoffs are a crapshoot, that 5 game series is a killer because one bad game and you lost 33% of the series already. A-Rod playoff history is bad, but taken a little too far, with the small sample of games.

For his career hes .279/.361/.483 in the playoffs, while thats not amazing, its not bad either.

Hes only played a mere 24 games in the postseason, so like always with small samples, its not conclusive enough to say he chokes. 7 years is not a long drought in todays day and age and if the Yanks keep fielding these kind of teams eventually they'll win another.

The Rays also never had more than 80 wins in their franchise history until last year so.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where does Manny end up? I think he ends up working it out with the Dodgers but I don't know that anyone needs him more than the Giants.

He will go unsigned, Dodgers can sign Dunn, Wolf and Hudson with the same money. Then nobody will want to meet his demands and because of the way he acted in Boston because he felt he was underpaid nobody will offer him a bargain contract.

I hope anywhere Manny lands he'll get boo'd and people will throw stuff at him.

It's the recession in full force, hundreds of thousands of workers lose their jobs, you can't barely get a dime in a loan from a bank to buy a house or whatever, and this guy decline a 25 million dollar deal for 1 year because he wants minimum 50 or 75 million for 2 or 3 years!

What a joke athletes have become, especially coming from a poor background in dominican republic!

He will go unsigned, Dodgers can sign Dunn, Wolf and Hudson with the same money. Then nobody will want to meet his demands and because of the way he acted in Boston because he felt he was underpaid nobody will offer him a bargain contract.

From a purely baseball stand point, sure maybe that makes sense but LA is such a star driven market and the impact he had there was enormous. I think if you're the Dodgers you almost have to bring back.

His impact and his numbers were huge but it was for only 3 month. During that time Manny knew he had to be a team player and perform well if he wanted to get the contract he was seeking. Especially his behaviour in Boston. Manny was able to be motivated for 3 month because of the dollar signs in his eyes but I doubt he can do this on a daily basis on a 2 or 3 year contract he is seeking. Don't get me wrong, Manny is still a great player when he wants to be and he might be one of the best right-handed hitters of all time. But Manny is a selfish player and nearly each and every player in Boston was happy when he left.

His impact and his numbers were huge but it was for only 3 month. During that time Manny knew he had to be a team player and perform well if he wanted to get the contract he was seeking. Especially his behaviour in Boston. Manny was able to be motivated for 3 month because of the dollar signs in his eyes but I doubt he can do this on a daily basis on a 2 or 3 year contract he is seeking. Don't get me wrong, Manny is still a great player when he wants to be and he might be one of the best right-handed hitters of all time. But Manny is a selfish player and nearly each and every player in Boston was happy when he left.

No one would ever debate what you just said, but the fact is he was probably too good and so loved there that it makes hard for the Dodgers to just let him walk, which was probably their plan when the trade was made. I just think you have to find a way to get this guy back in Dodger blue, that market needs a superstar and his personality goes well with Joe Torre's laid back clubhouse and the fact his idiocy is on the 4th page hidden behind all the celebrities doing even dumber things. Boston is just too intense for a guy like him.

From a purely baseball stand point, sure maybe that makes sense but LA is such a star driven market and the impact he had there was enormous. I think if you're the Dodgers you almost have to bring back.

Depends on LA's financial situation right now and if they feel a star could fill the seats more than winning, because Dunn is Ryan Howard V2.0 with a lesser BA, Hudson is a great leadoff guy to go 1-2 with Furcal and Wolf rounds out their rotation nicely.

Those 3 could bring many wins to that team, but what will fill the stands more, wins or Manny?

Depends on LA's financial situation right now and if they feel a star could fill the seats more than winning, because Dunn is Ryan Howard V2.0 with a lesser BA, Hudson is a great leadoff guy to go 1-2 with Furcal and Wolf rounds out their rotation nicely.

Those 3 could bring many wins to that team, but what will fill the stands more, wins or Manny?

Hudson is a good player but his defense is slipping and Arizona is a good hitters park. I think you can have both, Manny and winning. I like Dunn a lot but Wolf doesn't do much for me, you can get an equally good pitcher at a very low price if you wait around.

Also those 3 aren't a guarantee to win anyway, I don't really believe the Hudson rumors because I understand their pretty high on Blake Dewitt, Wolf they'd try and sign either way IMO, they need pitching Manny or not.

Sign Manny 3 years 60 million (take it or leave it, and he won't get a better offer) and sign Wolf 1 - 6.

Manny to the Dodgers is really the only sensible thing here (other than the Giants, which I don't see).

Well this was in 2003 and 103 other players were tested also positive in that year.

O I know the game was tainted, but now there is going to be a bagillion mics in his face the entire season with rivals such as Boston fans giving him heck at every fielded ball or at-bat.

Last time I checked he isn't the most mentally strong guy either.

Being a Red Sox fan myself I don't like the Yankees and A-Rod. I don't like people who cheated and took steroids. But I strongly believe that there also were some Sox players on that list too.

I know there were Jays and Expos also, but I don't really care, I'm going to laugh to the bank as A-Rod cumbles under the intense scrutiny. Out of curiousity I went to the Yankee board and theres a new thread popping up every 2 seconds (and I'm not even joking, I can't even get you a link because I'm pretty sure the forum crashed).

I'm so over the whole steroids thing. I think the majority of the public is too, it's not going to be the football "Who cares?" attitude when a guy like Merriman tested positive but ARod definitely won't get the Bonds treatment.

Looks like Andruw is going to Texas, can't think of a better place to try and reestablish your value but I think he's done like dinner and that's an awfully crowded outfield so it won't easy for him to find ABs.

Also big RyeHow reupped for 3 years 18 per, thoughts?

Ok good he admitted to using them now, but right now I want to see the public own up to its word. We heard with Bonds and Clemens that if they only would've admitted it, people would take it easier on them.

Well a big name player just admitted it, time for the public to man up.

Wouldn't it be neccessary for Bonds and Clemens to man up themselves and admit they used it first? Oh and in Clemens case I want him to give Dan Duquette an excuse because he was indeed entering the twilight of his career. ;)

Good for him.

So just out of curiosity what is your guy's level of interest in the WBC

I'm really looking forward to that tournament. They show the most of the games over here in Europe live on ESPN America so I'm going to see a lot of action.