The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Bud Selig is reportedly considering suspending A-Rod, even though when he was tested it wasn't against the rules.

He also is considring wiping Bonds HR record.

WORST COMMISIONNER EVER!!

That's just his way of looking good, and then it'll look like the PA is the one who got in the way of Bud's justice. He did the samething about the Mitchell Report, said he's consider disciplinary action but never did.

I actually don't mind Bud, I like a lot of the things he's done for the game.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just his way of looking good, and then it'll look like the PA is the one who got in the way of Bud's justice. He did the samething about the Mitchell Report, said he's consider disciplinary action but never did.

I actually don't mind Bud, I like a lot of the things he's done for the game.

True I liked the wild card, hes gotten the game great revenues, and the all-star game were all very good things.

But his complete idiocy when it comes to the steroid issue completely overtakes any single good thing hes done.

True I liked the wild card, hes gotten the game great revenues, and the all-star game were all very good things.

But his complete idiocy when it comes to the steroid issue completely overtakes any single good thing hes done.

MLB was also leaps and bounds ahead of every other North American sports league when it comes to cornering the internet market.

Is there anyway we can get the first round expanded from 5 games, as a Braves fan it's especially painful.

I'm still waiting for Selig to announce the logic against adding a mere 2 more games.

If you run into a team with 2 very good/hot pitchers in a 5 game series it's lights out. I've seen it before. That's why I'm so amazed by the run of 14 straight division titiles, in the playoffs anything can happen you just get hot at the right time but over 162 games it shows how much depth an organization has to make it 14 straight years.

I'm so over the whole steroids thing. I think the majority of the public is too, it's not going to be the football "Who cares?" attitude when a guy like Merriman tested positive but ARod definitely won't get the Bonds treatment.

I so over the baseball thing..... Football a way off so we best make playoffs.

I hope you're not implying that you're not longer a baseball fan because of steroids, yet you are still a football fan because that would be laughable.

If you run into a team with 2 very good/hot pitchers in a 5 game series it's lights out. I've seen it before. That's why I'm so amazed by the run of 14 straight division titiles, in the playoffs anything can happen you just get hot at the right time but over 162 games it shows how much depth an organization has to make it 14 straight years.

I guess you haven't gotten to the part in Moneyball where Beane calls the playoffs a crapshoot.

You're preaching to the wrong crowd, I'm pretty sure Roy and I can both concur baseball is the greatest sport in the world.

I guess you haven't gotten to the part in Moneyball where Beane calls the playoffs a crapshoot.

You're preaching to the wrong crowd, I'm pretty sure Roy and I can both concur baseball is the greatest sport in the world.

No Hockey the greatest in the world as far as sports go.

Why am I over baseball no not the juicing. The handling of Jays last 10 yrs has made me sick. But because of career, I probably will have to be in that corp box for 30 or 40 games again this yr. :o

No Hockey the greatest in the world as far as sports go.

Why am I over baseball no not the juicing. The handling of Jays last 10 yrs has made me sick. But because of career, I probably will have to be in that corp box for 30 or 40 games again this yr. :o

Thats your opinoin, which is why I said I'm pretty sure thats what Roy and I think is the greatest sport, its a matter of preference.

Whats wrong with the Jays? In the early part of the millenium when JP came in they needed to cut salary and for the last few years they've been an entertaining competeteive team, they have just gotten horribly unlucky when the payroll expanded.

Thats your opinoin, which is why I said I'm pretty sure thats what Roy and I think is the greatest sport, its a matter of preference.

Whats wrong with the Jays? In the early part of the millenium when JP came in they needed to cut salary and for the last few years they've been an entertaining competeteive team, they have just gotten horribly unlucky when the payroll expanded.

Count me in for Baseball is the greatest sport. The Jays however just have bad luck being in the best division of Baseball. I don't think they will be anywhere near contenders in the next few years. At least not in the AL East. The Yankees and the Red Sox have more money to deal with and the Red Sox also have a deep farm system which allows them to trade for players they need. They Rays are getting better and also have young talent in the minors which is major league ready. And don't forget the Orioles. In 2 or 3 years they have also a good team and with Matt Wieters they have the best prospect in all of baseball. Plus they also have some more bluechip prospects with Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and Erbe. So the Jays will likely lose too many games to be win this division or secure a wild card but they'll also win too many games to draft in the top 5.

Some interesting points in this article about why steroids in baseball upsets people like it does, where as it's completely accepted in football.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9212720...-all-about-Babe

"Let me be clear: I am not a proponent of performance-enhancing drugs. They are a problem in ALL sports and will remain one as long as there are millions of dollars to be made in athletics. I object to the ridiculously inconsistent outrage we have about PEDs. "Perfectly acceptable" is an exaggeration, but I can't think of a more accurate description of PEDs in football. And they're all but ignored in basketball, golf, hockey, tennis, horse racing, etc."

Interest article, I'm not sure if I agree with his main thesis about protecting Ruth at all costs, but race relations in the States isn't always straight forward or rational.

The question I keep having while watching the steroid fiasco unfold is how might hockey fans react if Vinny Lecavalier, Crosby, Jarome Iginla, or any other superstar tests positive or faces serious allegations of steroid use? Ten years ago when Sossa and McGuire were chasing down Maris' home-run record baseball was positive it did not have a drug problem. When Dick Pound suggested a quarter of the league could be on the juice the hockey community reacted with outrage. How dare he accuse our players of such things? Hockey currently doesn't have a very credible response to the issue and positive tests or allegations could prove exceptionally embarrasing, as major league baseball is finding out.

IMO baseball has three major problems that are causing it be behind football and falling farther and farther behind...

1) Steroids (of course) let's face it, now with AROD on board it is just about all of the biggest names in the past 15 years or so that have tested positive...the "integrity of the game" no longer exists.

2) MONEY!!! let's be honest here, MLB has shrunk to the following teams, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs,Mets and Dodgers..every other team is just another level of the minor leagues getting players ready to move on the "Majors"( one of the six teams mentioned before.) If you are not a fan of one of those six, too bad, you may get a good team here and there and make a playoff run every now and then, but once you do, the "Majors" are going to come for your free agents because you can't compete with them on the free agent market. The result of this, the Yankees haver their own network and ratings for any team other than the big six are falling fast.....

3) The Players, and maybe a I say this because I live in a Spring Training town, but the players have what can only be described as a distain for the fans. They can't be bothered to sign an autograph or even get invovled with the community. I have been in the presence of several players and they all have an attitude. I have also met ,amy NHL players and the difference is night and day. I can remeber a night in Toronto my buddies and I saw the Leafs and Bruins, after the game we met several of the Bruins players outside the Garden. They were standing on the side walk signing autographs and talking to fans. My buddy who is a Bruins fan was getting Wayne Cashmans autrograph and telling him how far we cam to see that game. Cashman took him into the bus to meet the rest of the team and get autographs, You would never find that in MLB!

IMO baseball has three major problems that are causing it be behind football and falling farther and farther behind...

1) Steroids (of course) let's face it, now with AROD on board it is just about all of the biggest names in the past 15 years or so that have tested positive...the "integrity of the game" no longer exists.

2) MONEY!!! let's be honest here, MLB has shrunk to the following teams, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs,Mets and Dodgers..every other team is just another level of the minor leagues getting players ready to move on the "Majors"( one of the six teams mentioned before.) If you are not a fan of one of those six, too bad, you may get a good team here and there and make a playoff run every now and then, but once you do, the "Majors" are going to come for your free agents because you can't compete with them on the free agent market. The result of this, the Yankees haver their own network and ratings for any team other than the big six are falling fast.....

3) The Players, and maybe a I say this because I live in a Spring Training town, but the players have what can only be described as a distain for the fans. They can't be bothered to sign an autograph or even get invovled with the community. I have been in the presence of several players and they all have an attitude. I have also met ,amy NHL players and the difference is night and day. I can remeber a night in Toronto my buddies and I saw the Leafs and Bruins, after the game we met several of the Bruins players outside the Garden. They were standing on the side walk signing autographs and talking to fans. My buddy who is a Bruins fan was getting Wayne Cashmans autrograph and telling him how far we cam to see that game. Cashman took him into the bus to meet the rest of the team and get autographs, You would never find that in MLB!

Well I'd be dumb to deny the painfully obvious existence of steroids in baseball this isn't a baseball problem this is a sport wide problem IMO, which is at the heart of the article. I've always noticed that people have been harder on baseball then the NFL for example and I think it's more then about Babe Ruth, baseball is really a game of statistics (well all games are but baseball is far advanced). These records mean something to people, to the country, when you think about the most important records in the North American sports world it's pretty obvious the top 2 are all time home run record and single season home run record. I'm not an NFL expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shawne Merriman set the single season record for sacks and also test positive for steroids?

No sport, IMO, has the history of baseball, and baseball looked more like it's current self 75 years ago then any other of the "big 4" so the idea is, you can compare legends directly through stats and that's part of the beauty of it, the stats. It's upsetting to some that people are tainting those stats.

As for your 2nd point, the competitive balance is a bit of an issue but there are several teams out of those 6 who regularly compete. I mean, what have the Cubs, Mets or Dodgers done recently? LA just won their first series in ages, the Mets have been to 1 World Series in my lifetime, and the Cubs lack of any real success is well documented.

Baseball has had more different champions since 1990 then Football I heard. I understand what you're saying, and there are some franchises that don't compete, but to suggest it comes down to those 6 is a little out there.

As for number 3, that's hard to say. It's basically the same pool of people so I don't understand why "jerks" would gravititate towards baseball and nice guy's towards hockey.

"Let me be clear: I am not a proponent of performance-enhancing drugs. They are a problem in ALL sports and will remain one as long as there are millions of dollars to be made in athletics. I object to the ridiculously inconsistent outrage we have about PEDs. "Perfectly acceptable" is an exaggeration, but I can't think of a more accurate description of PEDs in football. And they're all but ignored in basketball, golf, hockey, tennis, horse racing, etc."

Interest article, I'm not sure if I agree with his main thesis about protecting Ruth at all costs, but race relations in the States isn't always straight forward or rational.

The question I keep having while watching the steroid fiasco unfold is how might hockey fans react if Vinny Lecavalier, Crosby, Jarome Iginla, or any other superstar tests positive or faces serious allegations of steroid use? Ten years ago when Sossa and McGuire were chasing down Maris' home-run record baseball was positive it did not have a drug problem. When Dick Pound suggested a quarter of the league could be on the juice the hockey community reacted with outrage. How dare he accuse our players of such things? Hockey currently doesn't have a very credible response to the issue and positive tests or allegations could prove exceptionally embarrasing, as major league baseball is finding out.

It's just beyond hard to believe that with millions of dollars and male egos on the line that no one is taking steroids. It would help, I don't want to hear prehistoric arguments about how steroids just bulk you up and you need speed to be a hockey player. Steroids can provide a lot of things and bulk is just one of them, the ability to heal faster and get less worn down over a season is one major one.

There's no question in my mind there is and has been steroids in hockey, it's just impossible to believe with that money on the table and the knowledge these things were out there and could help you even turned a blind eye.

Well I'd be dumb to deny the painfully obvious existence of steroids in baseball this isn't a baseball problem this is a sport wide problem IMO, which is at the heart of the article. I've always noticed that people have been harder on baseball then the NFL for example and I think it's more then about Babe Ruth, baseball is really a game of statistics (well all games are but baseball is far advanced). These records mean something to people, to the country, when you think about the most important records in the North American sports world it's pretty obvious the top 2 are all time home run record and single season home run record. I'm not an NFL expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shawne Merriman set the single season record for sacks and also test positive for steroids?

No sport, IMO, has the history of baseball, and baseball looked more like it's current self 75 years ago then any other of the "big 4" so the idea is, you can compare legends directly through stats and that's part of the beauty of it, the stats. It's upsetting to some that people are tainting those stats.

As for your 2nd point, the competitive balance is a bit of an issue but there are several teams out of those 6 who regularly compete. I mean, what have the Cubs, Mets or Dodgers done recently? LA just won their first series in ages, the Mets have been to 1 World Series in my lifetime, and the Cubs lack of any real success is well documented.

Baseball has had more different champions since 1990 then Football I heard. I understand what you're saying, and there are some franchises that don't compete, but to suggest it comes down to those 6 is a little out there.

As for number 3, that's hard to say. It's basically the same pool of people so I don't understand why "jerks" would gravititate towards baseball and nice guy's towards hockey.

When it comes to comparing era, yes the sport may seem the same, but its not. Pitchers are different, the athletes themselves have changed so much that you can't directly compare.

What I do to see exactly how good a player is/was is compare them to their era. If Babe Ruth hit 40% more homers than the league average was at the time, compared to Bonds 35%, then Ruth was a better player (by the way those aren't exact numbers but I did those calculations before and Ruth indeed came out with better numbers than Bonds).

On #2, I know theres still "parity", but cmon roy, you can't determine success based on WS wins, b/c the playoffs are so hard to win, look at playoff apperances and overall records over the last decade, the trends are very disturbing.

On #3, I think baseball players are more chill than most athletes, its a more laid-back sport so theres a lot of jokers and of course you got the clubhouse pranksters ;)

It's just beyond hard to believe that with millions of dollars and male egos on the line that no one is taking steroids. It would help, I don't want to hear prehistoric arguments about how steroids just bulk you up and you need speed to be a hockey player. Steroids can provide a lot of things and bulk is just one of them, the ability to heal faster and get less worn down over a season is one major one.

There's no question in my mind there is and has been steroids in hockey, it's just impossible to believe with that money on the table and the knowledge these things were out there and could help you even turned a blind eye.

The PED within hockey is a joke, how fans can even think that people like Brindy, Chelios or hundreds are not on HGH or any sort of amphetamine is just sad.

I don't even know who the guy who runs doping is (hes a famous name, just can't remember), but hes right when he said hockey needs stricter drug testing.

When it comes to comparing era, yes the sport may seem the same, but its not. Pitchers are different, the athletes themselves have changed so much that you can't directly compare.

What I do to see exactly how good a player is/was is compare them to their era. If Babe Ruth hit 40% more homers than the league average was at the time, compared to Bonds 35%, then Ruth was a better player (by the way those aren't exact numbers but I did those calculations before and Ruth indeed came out with better numbers than Bonds).

On #2, I know theres still "parity", but cmon roy, you can't determine success based on WS wins, b/c the playoffs are so hard to win, look at playoff apperances and overall records over the last decade, the trends are very disturbing.

On #3, I think baseball players are more chill than most athletes, its a more laid-back sport so theres a lot of jokers and of course you got the clubhouse pranksters ;)

While I do agree that on the surface you can't compare stats, what I'm saying is it gives the illusion, it's part of the beauty for a casual fan IMO. The reasons you mentioned are dead on and I'd also like to add how differently the games are managed, Ted Williams didn't have to face the late inning, side winding lefty specialist the way guys do now and so on.

On the whole, you can't look at WS wins as success, but if you look at how many different winners there are that does imply other teams are getting a shot, you can't win the WS without getting to the playoffs first and giving yourself a shot, and when you're taking a 20 year sample it's more then just luck. I'm not even disputing a parity issue though, just that it comes down to the 6 teams he mentioned. Every year it comes down to a list of 6 teams that includes the Mets, the Cubs and the Dodgers? Give me a break.

As for point 3 I just don't understand how you can say baseball players are jerks, hockey players are nice ect.

Looks like the Braves may end up signing Jr to play LF, thoughts?

Personally I'm excited just because I've always been a big Jr fan, I'm not totally sure what he'd be able to bring if signed, there's talk that he was hurt down the stretch last year which played a part in his power loss and he can definitely still hit righties so in a platoon with Diaz (Who despite his struggles against righties last year hits lefties well)

As for point 3 I just don't understand how you can say baseball players are jerks, hockey players are nice ect.

IN my original post I never said that ALL baseball players were jerks. All is one of those words you should avoid, like never when describing something. What I said was that I had been around several MLB players and that those players were jerks. Living in a spring training town you can come in contact now and then and also become aware of the problems these players cause because of the attitude that seen to have. (ex. trashing houses they rent for spring training) I admit I have met many many more NHL players granted mostly in the late 1970's but I had met, many players from the Canadiens, Bruins, Leafs, Blues, and Sabres, also AHL players from the Rochester Americans and other teams and the many mnay players I had met were nice guys. They would not only sign autographs but stop and talk with you as well.

The PED within hockey is a joke, how fans can even think that people like Brindy, Chelios or hundreds are not on HGH or any sort of amphetamine is just sad.

I don't even know who the guy who runs doping is (hes a famous name, just can't remember), but hes right when he said hockey needs stricter drug testing.

Dick Pound. He ran the World Anti-Doping Agency when the Olympics ramped up its drug testing. A lot of people were caught in Athens and some other recent games. Of course Don Cherry came out swinging with several hysterical hissy fits challenging both Dick Pounds accusations and his knowledge of doping. If I remember correctly other hockey reactions ranged from 'aw shucks, our good little Prarie boys wouldn't do those bad things' to toned down challenges similar to Cherry's.

Pound made similar allegations about cycling in the late 90s and look at the number of positive tests in the last few years at the Tour de France.

I'd rate myself a casual baseball fan but I still find it upsetting those stats are being 'tainted'. Even if 50% of the league is on steroids, a steroid user has an unfair advantage over the remaining players that aren't on steroids. That's a big deal when you consider a juiced Bonds vs. an unjuiced pitcher.

As for the stats being comparable I don't think that's necessarily the case. Ballparks have changed so much, and were never standardized in the first place. Bonds, McGuire and Sossa had some pretty small ballparks to work with. There's also the rise of relief pitching, better fielders and an overall higher level of play.

Finally, baseball has changed the height and location of the pitchers mound several times over many decades to try and keep a reasonable balance between offense and defense. It strikes me that a sport with so much history has changed so much but there is so much resistance to even minor changes within a league like the NHL.