The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Vernon Wells out for a month with a hamstring injury.

"Sigh" I'll be on the roof getting drunk if you need me.

So where do you think Halladay will be pitching after this contract runs out? Him and CC would make a nice 1-2, or throw him in with Beckett and Lester.

He's the best pitcher on the planet.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he isn't. He's one of the best but not the best on the planet.

Who's better? Johan? CC? I think Roy is 1.

Don't even say that!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as the Jays remain competetive he said he will stay.

But you do have to admit, CC and Roy 1-2 would look pretty good, Wang and Burnett 3-4.

But you do have to admit, CC and Roy 1-2 would look pretty good, Wang and Burnett 3-4.

The ghost of Roy Halladay will smite you in your sleep tonight (Roy Halladay is so amazing, he has a ghost before hes dead :D ).

Theres no way he goes to the Yankees or Red Sox ever!!! Hes too much of a Blue Jay to do that, imagine if Chipper went to the Mets, can you even see him doing it?

I don't think there's a clear no. 1 pitcher out there. A couple of guys can be the best on any given day. It's more a matter of their form on that day. Guys like Santana, Sabathia, Beckett and Halladay can win any game on any day. They are all outstanding pitchers but I just don't see anyone much better on a regular basis than the others. Plus there are a couple of young guns who have pitched extremely well but need to show they can do it over a few seasons. I'm talking about pitchers like Cole Hamels, Jon Lester or Tim Lincecum.

I don't think there's a clear no. 1 pitcher out there. A couple of guys can be the best on any given day. It's more a matter of their form on that day. Guys like Santana, Sabathia, Beckett and Halladay can win any game on any day. They are all outstanding pitchers but I just don't see anyone much better on a regular basis than the others. Plus there are a couple of young guns who have pitched extremely well but need to show they can do it over a few seasons. I'm talking about pitchers like Cole Hamels, Jon Lester or Tim Lincecum.

Beckett? Really, this guy has had 1 Cy-worth season his entire career, hes just been good in the playoffs.

Yes Josh Beckett. He's still only 28 and wins in the play-offs count the most. He's a clutch pitcher even in the regular season. When his team needs a win and a big outing from him he usually delivers.

What about the other 30 starts? The guy is good, but he's not quite in that class IMO. He's also had a bit of injury trouble, if you polled 30 GM's right now and asked who they'd take Halladay or Beckett I'd bet you'd get 30 Halladay's.

Hamels is good, but he's still not quite in the discussion for best in the game, Lester and Lincecum need to follow up last season before their even in the discussion.

Like I said, Santana, CC and Halladay are pretty close but I'd still take Roy.

Yes Josh Beckett. He's still only 28 and wins in the play-offs count the most. He's a clutch pitcher even in the regular season. When his team needs a win and a big outing from him he usually delivers.

He had 2 great postseasons, but for a so called amazing clutch player, what was last year?

14.1 innings, 14 earned runs, 6 walks and 14 K's. Thats not exactly legendary clutch stuff there, I realize he had great if not amazing postseasons before, but that just furthers my theory that "clutch players" and "chokers" have playoff stats evened out over time.

What about the other 30 starts? The guy is good, but he's not quite in that class IMO. He's also had a bit of injury trouble, if you polled 30 GM's right now and asked who they'd take Halladay or Beckett I'd bet you'd get 30 Halladay's.

I seriously doubt 30 out of 30 would choose Halladay over Beckett. Beckett is a proven monster in the play-offs while Halladay never had the chance to show what he could do in the play-offs.

He had 2 great postseasons, but for a so called amazing clutch player, what was last year?

14.1 innings, 14 earned runs, 6 walks and 14 K's. Thats not exactly legendary clutch stuff there, I realize he had great if not amazing postseasons before, but that just furthers my theory that "clutch players" and "chokers" have playoff stats evened out over time.

Last year he played injured during the play-offs. His starts were even shifted back because of his injury.

I seriously doubt 30 out of 30 would choose Halladay over Beckett. Beckett is a proven monster in the play-offs while Halladay never had the chance to show what he could do in the play-offs.

It's great that Beckett had 2 great stretches at the right time but Halladay is a superior pitcher, I just don't see a team being dumb enough to argue that we'll ignore a guy who is better because another guy made 10 great postseason starts spread over 4 years.

Like freak said, Beckett has really only had 1 ace type season, he's been injury prone and inconsistent at times and I just can't see why 2 great (small) stretches would convince anyone he's the better.

This isn't hockey, even if Beckett could always do what he did in the WS postseasons, getting to the postseason is so hard that Regular season monster>Playoff monster any day of the week.

Last year he played injured during the play-offs. His starts were even shifted back because of his injury.

Then hes an idiot and shouldn't have played, because he may very well have cost his team a WS berth.

This isn't hockey, even if Beckett could always do what he did in the WS postseasons, getting to the postseason is so hard that Regular season monster>Playoff monster any day of the week.

Yeah, when Beckett takes the mound during the regular season the Sox end up losing everytime. Halladay pitches in a place where Baseball isn't the no. 1 sport and doesn't have the pressure like Beckett has in Boston.

Then hes an idiot and shouldn't have played, because he may very well have cost his team a WS berth.

He wasn't an idiot because they still needed him even though he was injured. Colon left the organization, Masterson was needed in the pen, Buchholz already was shut down for the season, so was Bowden. Wakefield was injury plaqued and also had to pitch. Paul Byrd was the long man out of the pen every team needs in the play-offs. So there was no better option than an injured Beckett.

Yeah, when Beckett takes the mound during the regular season the Sox end up losing everytime. Halladay pitches in a place where Baseball isn't the no. 1 sport and doesn't have the pressure like Beckett has in Boston.

Awesome, because thats exactly what I said, I said Beckett sucks and hes not a good regular season pitcher at all. And in terms of pressure man, for a guy who comes through in the clutch so much, why does pressure faze him exactly and affect his perforamnces to that kind of degree.

He wasn't an idiot because they still needed him even though he was injured. Colon left the organization, Masterson was needed in the pen, Buchholz already was shut down for the season, so was Bowden. Wakefield was injury plaqued and also had to pitch. Paul Byrd was the long man out of the pen every team needs in the play-offs. So there was no better option than an injured Beckett.

Ok its very honorable he wanted to play through the pain, but after that first bad start, get him out of there if he feels hes not capable and still hurt and put Byrd in, because honstly, J.D Drew could probably pitch better than a flat 9.0 ERA.

Based on talent and ability to perform on the field no question, but the injuries..... its like 65/35 in favor of Chipper.

Yeah, he has some things in his favor right now. He stacks up well against other HOF 3rd basemen, which is a position that's surprisingly thin in terms of hall of famers, he's got the MVP, he's played on a World Series team. Only switch hitter in history to have a .300 avg and 300 homers.

He's sitting at 408 homers and a .310 average. He said he wants to play atleast 3-4 more years, whether or not that's possible I don't know. He's 36 right now, 5 more seasons of a little more then 140 hits per gives him 3000 hits and he'd likely have 500 homers if he was able to stick around that long and accumulate that many hits.

I don't see any of that happening, but if he retires at .300 + with 450 home runs, a high OPS, he probably gets in. Being a switch hitter really helps.

Yeah, he has some things in his favor right now. He stacks up well against other HOF 3rd basemen, which is a position that's surprisingly thin in terms of hall of famers, he's got the MVP, he's played on a World Series team. Only switch hitter in history to have a .300 avg and 300 homers.

He's sitting at 408 homers and a .310 average. He said he wants to play atleast 3-4 more years, whether or not that's possible I don't know. He's 36 right now, 5 more seasons of a little more then 140 hits per gives him 3000 hits and he'd likely have 500 homers if he was able to stick around that long and accumulate that many hits.

I don't see any of that happening, but if he retires at .300 + with 450 home runs, a high OPS, he probably gets in. Being a switch hitter really helps.

Even though I hate the award it seems to help HOF voting, a gold glove would help his case, a .400 OBP looks nice as well.