The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Even though I hate the award it seems to help HOF voting, a gold glove would help his case, a .400 OBP looks nice as well.

So who else is on kind of the hall bubble right now. What about guy's like Delgado, Thome, Frank Thomas, Bagwell... How many of those guys get in.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of who I think is most likely to get in:

Thome

Chipper

Thomas

Bagwell

Delgado

I think Thomas is 1 for me, back to back MVPs, .300 avg .420 career OBP 500 homers, I think Thome will get in, he'll wind up with 600 homers and a .400 OBP, I've mentioned the reasons Chipper will likely get in IMO.

Maybe not all first ballot HOFers, but on a down year they'll slide in. Bagwell and Delgado are super iffy, personally I wouldn't put either in but if Delgado gets 500 wouldn't be shocked if he slipped in.

I think Thomas is 1 for me, back to back MVPs, .300 avg .420 career OBP 500 homers, I think Thome will get in, he'll wind up with 600 homers and a .400 OBP, I've mentioned the reasons Chipper will likely get in IMO.

Maybe not all first ballot HOFers, but on a down year they'll slide in. Bagwell and Delgado are super iffy, personally I wouldn't put either in but if Delgado gets 500 wouldn't be shocked if he slipped in.

MVP's don't matter to me because they're just a matter of media opinoins (not saying he didn't deserve it).

The 1300 games at DH is what can hurt Thomas. In terms of the 500 homers, thats no longer a real gold standard anymore.

MVP's don't matter to me because they're just a matter of media opinoins (not saying he didn't deserve it).

The 1300 games at DH is what can hurt Thomas. In terms of the 500 homers, thats no longer a real gold standard anymore.

I'm not saying they matter to me either, the criteria seems to be look for a guy on one of the 4 playoff teams who had a big year and that's the MVP, but they help with the voters so they will play a factor.

500 homers isn't a gold standard, but with a .300 avg and a .420 on base and a .974 career OPS. that's pretty damn impressive. The guy is a hall of famer.

Sure, the guy was a DH, but he was one of the 2-3 best bats in the game for a sustained period of time in Chicago.

I'm not saying they matter to me either, the criteria seems to be look for a guy on one of the 4 playoff teams who had a big year and that's the MVP, but they help with the voters so they will play a factor.

500 homers isn't a gold standard, but with a .300 avg and a .420 on base and a .974 career OPS. that's pretty damn impressive. The guy is a hall of famer.

Sure, the guy was a DH, but he was one of the 2-3 best bats in the game for a sustained period of time in Chicago.

Ya I looked at the numbers again and what jumps out to me is Thomas K/BB, thats pretty darn good too.

well if saying that makes you feel better lol

Sure as heck does!

On a baseball note, the best name in the bigs is gone, Boof Bonser shoulder surgery.

Manny and Boras and now considering a 2/45 deal from the Dodgers, with the 2nd year being a player option.

Nationals are considering firing Jim Bowden (ya think??) and replacing him with Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava (NO TONY DON'T GO!!).

Sure as heck does!

On a baseball note, the best name in the bigs is gone, Boof Bonser shoulder surgery.

Manny and Boras and now considering a 2/45 deal from the Dodgers, with the 2nd year being a player option.

Nationals are considering firing Jim Bowden (ya think??) and replacing him with Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava (NO TONY DON'T GO!!).

jeez i wish i was like that lol, saying another franchise is useless and it makes you feel better wow... thats nice

jeez i wish i was like that lol, saying another franchise is useless and it makes you feel better wow... thats nice

What? You insulted my team so I shot back, I have nothing against the Reds, I have something against people who take unprecetended (sp?) shots at my team.

It looks like Manny is making some progress, the player option for the 2nd year is whats going to do it, it gives Manny the option to opt out if he feels the market gets btter.

Just finished watched Braves Astros on MLB.tv and although Tommy Hanson gave up some runs his stuff is electric. He was throwing a very smooth 96 with downward movement, a great slider and an above average looking curve.

His control isn't great, but it's not terribly weak either. Chipper said this guy has the best stuff of anyone in our clubhouse already and I'm inclined to agree. He'll be in the bigs at some points this year when/if Glavine/Kawakami fail.

Just finished watched Braves Astros on MLB.tv and although Tommy Hanson gave up some runs his stuff is electric. He was throwing a very smooth 96 with downward movement, a great slider and an above average looking curve.

His control isn't great, but it's not terribly weak either. Chipper said this guy has the best stuff of anyone in our clubhouse already and I'm inclined to agree. He'll be in the bigs at some points this year when/if Glavine/Kawakami fail.

IMO hes my NL rookie of the year candidate, not sure if Rasmus is going to start out of the gates though, most of the top prospects (Price, Wieters, Snider :D:D:D ) are in the AL.

What? You insulted my team so I shot back, I have nothing against the Reds, I have something against people who take unprecetended (sp?) shots at my team.

It looks like Manny is making some progress, the player option for the 2nd year is whats going to do it, it gives Manny the option to opt out if he feels the market gets btter.

i have nothing against the Jays either but i said that they were useless, and then you took a shot at the Reds... so thats fine its all square

What about this Bryce Harper kid? What do you know about him? I've heard he's odds on favorite to go 1st in 2011 and last year he hit a 502 foot shot as a sophomore at the Trop in Tampa but not much else.

Also Heyward > Snider ;)

What about this Bryce Harper kid? What do you know about him? I've heard he's odds on favorite to go 1st in 2011 and last year he hit a 502 foot shot as a sophomore at the Trop in Tampa but not much else.

Also Heyward > Snider ;)

Heyward is a better overall player, but in terms of BAT, its Snider. Like I said watch that derby, its too good to be true :D

I never heard of him until now to be honest, my baseball prospects (ones not in the system) isn't too sharp, I do some research leading up to the draft but I don't follow baseball prospectus or whatnot.

EDIT: Heres what The Baseball Hub has on both prospects:

1. RF Jason Heyward

Who?: When Heyward was set to be drafted in 2007, I thought “that guy reminds me a lot of Travis Snider”… maybe I shouldn’t have said that, since he’s Snider’s opposite in just about every facet of the game, but the good news is that Heyward has already surpassed Snider on my prospect rankings. Heyward makes excellent contact (14.4%) and has a good walk rate (9.7%), but hasn’t been hitting for HR power yet - only 11 HR in 116 games. That’s really, really something that you shouldn’t worry about in the slightest. He just turned 19 2 weeks ago, he’s 6′4″ 220, has 44 XBH this year, a ton of raw power, and a sexy swing that seems destined to hit for 30 HR annually. You’d think it must stop there, but nah - he’s a good defender too!

Projection: A perennial all-star OF who can consistently hit .300 with a good OBP, 30 HR and 15 SB.

1. OF Travis Snider

Who?: I’ll be honest, my gut said to put Cecil in this spot ahead of Snider. Cecil has been so impressive, and Snider’s strikeout totals so disheartening. Then, I look and see that Snider has walked 60 times this year, or that he has 51 XBH, or I watch him do something like this… then I look at his birthday, and I remember that Snider is a very special bat.

Projection: An MVP-caliber hitter, although he’ll either be a DH or a defensive liability.

What do you project from Snider this year? I've heard people say he's the best pure power hitter in the minors (last year). Will he hit 30 this year? You saw more of him last year then I've ever seen of the kid.

Snider is different, I'm not being biased I really mean it hes a diffrent kind of player. Hes so smart, at every level he jumps to, as he tries to adjust to the new pitching styles he doesn't try to hit for power and tries to hit for average as he gets a feel for a new level. I think the power comes next year, but I think .280-.285 and 20-25 homers is realistic. I realize .280 from a 20 year old rookie is large but he can do it.

What about you on Heyward?

Snider is different, I'm not being biased I really mean it hes a diffrent kind of player. Hes so smart, at every level he jumps to, as he tries to adjust to the new pitching styles he doesn't try to hit for power and tries to hit for average as he gets a feel for a new level. I think the power comes next year, but I think .280-.285 and 20-25 homers is realistic. I realize .280 from a 20 year old rookie is large but he can do it.

What about you on Heyward?

Well Heyward won't be in the Majors this year, he doesn't turn 20 till August so he'll probably in Myrtle Beach (High A) and be in AA by middle of the year.

We have called guys up from AA before (McCann, Francoeur) and I suppose if we're absolutely out of it in September it's atleast plausible he gets a taste.

As for his career potential, I think he might develop a little more power then the projection you posted says. I think he could be a consistent 35 guy who reaches around 40 at some point in his prime.

If he ended up as a + defender who hit .300 and 30 with his advanced knowledge of the strike zone I'd be thrilled.

Well Heyward won't be in the Majors this year, he doesn't turn 20 till August so he'll probably in Myrtle Beach (High A) and be in AA by middle of the year.

We have called guys up from AA before (McCann, Francoeur) and I suppose if we're absolutely out of it in September it's atleast plausible he gets a taste.

As for his career potential, I think he might develop a little more power then the projection you posted says. I think he could be a consistent 35 guy who reaches around 40 at some point in his prime.

If he ended up as a + defender who hit .300 and 30 with his advanced knowledge of the strike zone I'd be thrilled.

I think 40 may be a reach but 35 is more realistic. I think he replaces those 5 homers with 10 more doubles.