• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So now there are reports that Pete Rose used a corked bat the year he broke the hits record.........man o man.....Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens, Raphel Palmero, and now Pete Rose......how many feet can you shoot yourself in? How many black eyes can you get? The more I hear this stuff, the happier I am I gave up on this mess of a sport over 15 years ago........

At least this did on this occasion. I needed a reminder officials are also cheats. Tim Doneghy for one, but the only revelation is he got exposed.

This isn't cheating but it does remind me of a story, I was reading Ron Luciano's book (former MLB umpire) He was behind the plate af an Angels game in the early 80's Rod Carew at the plate (you baseball fans, I don't have to explain who he is) anyway Carew works the count to 3-2...he fouls off a few and then the pitcher sizzles one right down the middle and it freezes Carew...Luciano bellows "Ball Four" the catcher turns to him and says "How can you possibly call that a ball?" Luciano said that his reply was "If Carew didn't swing, it HAD to be a ball!"

By the way for you baseball fans out there, if you can find it it is a good read...don't remember the title but it is by Ron Luciano......was out a while ago so it's going to be hard to find....

It's incredible how it took LA Angels Morales' braking a leg leaping on home plate celebrating a walkoff grand slam home run for other teams to tone down their celebrations. Am I imagining things or do baseball players come up with more unusual ways to injure themselves?

At least this did on this occasion. I needed a reminder officials are also cheats. Tim Doneghy for one, but the only revelation is he got exposed.

Tim Donaghy is a NBA ref; maybe there are MLB umpires as dishonest as he is.

Or maybe some NHL refs...

Tim Donaghy is a NBA ref; maybe there are MLB umpires as dishonest as he is.

Or maybe some NHL refs...

There is an overall point that I forgot to mention when bringing up the Jim Joyce incident in regards to the lost perfect game. That is, Joyce owned up to his mistake. How often do we see this? Certainly not often enough.

There is an overall point that I forgot to mention when bringing up the Jim Joyce incident in regards to the lost perfect game. That is, Joyce owned up to his mistake. How often do we see this? Certainly not often enough.

Yeah, I was so angry with that whole situation at first. But then I got to thinking, and saw some interviews of Joyce and whatnot, and I just felt bad for him as much as the pitcher. It was obvious that Joyce just made a mistake, an honest mistake, and he felt truly awful about it.

And also, in a player's poll after that, Joyce was voted the favorite ump among players. That says something right there. Poor guy, he'll never forget it. Bud Selig could have set a good precedent and made everyone involved's lives so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2010/fv/ballot.html

Hey, just doing some campaigning on behalf of one of my favorite players, Joey Votto. He is in the top 5 in the NL in batting average, homers, and RBI and was not named to the All-Star team. If he isn't voted in as the last man, he would be the first player since 1952 to have those kind of numbers and not make the team. It would be a travesty for him to not make the team. He needs the support of his native country!