The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit pushes across a run in the top of the eigth inning on a two out single by Delmon Young. That came after Justin Verlander hung a 1-1 changeup to Garrett Jones who deposited it into the right centerfield seats. Verlander pitched a complete game for his eigth win.

Looking more and more like Detroit is going nowhere this season. Not getting enough offense from the bottom of the order, starting pitching outside of Verlander looking shaky, and a bad manager and coaching staff are killing this team. I have been a major advocate for firing Jim Leyland since the epic meltdown debacle in 2009. His teams blow hot and cold. He does not roll out a consistent lineup every day so momentum can be generated (injuries I know have played a part in this, but when you are in the major leagues, you are expected to produce). They need to replace their middle infielders, a washed-up Jhonny Peralta, and the two-headed monster of Ramon Santiago (who at least is a competent backup) and Mr. Easy Out Ryan Raburn.

Some of it needs to be put on the players, but I blame management for a lot of this. By the time Victor Martinez gets back, it could be way too late. Leyland keeps managing for tomorrow, when they need all the wins they can get today with a team built to try to win now. No sense of urgency from some of these guys whatsoever.

I'm starting to like the White Sox's chances more now that they just acquired Kevin Youkilis. He was so badly misused and abused by Bobby Valentine that I'm sure he'll love his fresh start. It just seems to be coming together for the White Sox. Remember the last Red Sox castoff who had a nice finish to his career in Chicago - Carleton Fisk. I see the same thing happening to Youkilis.

Looking more and more like Detroit is going nowhere this season. Not getting enough offense from the bottom of the order, starting pitching outside of Verlander looking shaky, and a bad manager and coaching staff are killing this team. I have been a major advocate for firing Jim Leyland since the epic meltdown debacle in 2009. His teams blow hot and cold. He does not roll out a consistent lineup every day so momentum can be generated (injuries I know have played a part in this, but when you are in the major leagues, you are expected to produce). They need to replace their middle infielders, a washed-up Jhonny Peralta, and the two-headed monster of Ramon Santiago (who at least is a competent backup) and Mr. Easy Out Ryan Raburn.

Some of it needs to be put on the players, but I blame management for a lot of this. By the time Victor Martinez gets back, it could be way too late. Leyland keeps managing for tomorrow, when they need all the wins they can get today with a team built to try to win now. No sense of urgency from some of these guys whatsoever.

I'm starting to like the White Sox's chances more now that they just acquired Kevin Youkilis. He was so badly misused and abused by Bobby Valentine that I'm sure he'll love his fresh start. It just seems to be coming together for the White Sox. Remember the last Red Sox castoff who had a nice finish to his career in Chicago - Carleton Fisk. I see the same thing happening to Youkilis.

Doesn't Valverde lose focus when he's brought in to protect a sizable lead or am I just imagining things? And why even sign Prince Fielder for nine years when he's defensive liability and move Miguel Cabrera back to third where he's an even bigger liability?

Philadelphia pitcher Jonathan Papelbon offers a $5000 reward to anyone who could get a walkoff against Tampa pitcher Jake McGee. A few moments later, teammate Jim Thome launced a 97 MPH fastball into the left field seats. Thome was said to be saying, 'I want that check', but apparently, this is illegal in baseball.

Guest archey

ok ok detroit. the white sox.

can we get a little help?

the cubs are 4 games off the pace for the worst record in the modern era. so? they need some help. let's all pull for 'em and maybe they can be even worse then they are now.

thanks for your attention. :D

Doesn't Valverde lose focus when he's brought in to protect a sizable lead or am I just imagining things? And why even sign Prince Fielder for nine years when he's defensive liability and move Miguel Cabrera back to third where he's an even bigger liability?

I haven't seen either Prince or Cabrera as being defensive liabilities as some thought. The real problem lies at shortstop with a washed-up Jhoonny Peralta and the unproductive two-headed monster named Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago. Santiago is good as a backup for whomever the Tigers wind up getting. Detroit had to sign a big bat after Victor Martinez went down. The most current word I'm getting on Martinez's injury status is that his rehabilitation has gone so well that he could be back sometime in August - ahead of schedule.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/06/report_mike_ilitch_says_detroi.html

ok ok detroit. the white sox.

can we get a little help?

the cubs are 4 games off the pace for the worst record in the modern era. so? they need some help. let's all pull for 'em and maybe they can be even worse then they are now.

thanks for your attention. :D

What got into the Cubs last night?

Texas outslugs Detroit 13-9 as Doug Fister takes the loss to fall to 1-5 and has failed to win a road game this season. Detroit was able to get back into the game, but their pitching problems put them in too deep a hole. On the bright side, they kept Josh Hamilton hitless.

Detroit breaks open a tight game with three runs in the eight inning enroute to a 6-2 win over Tampa Bay. The key play occured when reliever Joel Peralta plunked Ramon Santiago with a 1-1 PITCH. Austin Jackson followed by lining a room service fastball into the left field seats for a three run homer. Detroit reliever Joaquin Benoit gave up two solo homers in the bottom half before Detoirt got two more runs in the ninth to seal the win. Rick Porcello went seven shutout innings for his sixth win of the season.