The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Guest GoHabsGo57

Barry Bonds insults Bob Costas:

from FoxSports.com:

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's a phrase that Barry Bonds apparently isn't familiar with. After Curt Schilling told HBO's Bob Costas that Bonds' refusal to address steroids accusations were tantamount to an admission of guilt, what did Bonds do?

He ripped Costas.

"You mean that little midget man who absolutely knows jack ... about baseball, who never played the game before?" Bonds said prior to Wednesday night's game against the Braves. "You can tell Bob Costas what I called him."

Bonds also denied even knowing Patrick Arnold, the BALCO chemist who created THG, the drug known as "the clear." Arnold had told Costas he found it "pretty hard to believe" Bonds didn't know what he was taking.

"I've never seen the man in my entire life," Bonds said of Arnold. "I've never heard of the man ... never."

Bonds is such a loser! This is why he is the most hated sports athelete today...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sportsfreak_39
As the deadline approaches, any thoughts on what your perticular team might do?

The jays will not make any moves unless someone offers them something ridiculous. They are a good team and J.P wants to give them a chance to win when they're healthy which may be next year as they'll need a huge win streak to get back into things.

As for the deadline this is a pretty bad year for trades. Teixeira is the biggest name out there and Atlanta and Texas seem to working out the kinks for a Texiera-Saltalamacchia deal. Even though Texas isn't waiting to pull the trigger yet because I'm pretty sure Tex isn't a free agent until 2 sumers from now so they have over a year to do wheelign and dealing with him.

The other big names out there is:

Adam Dunn: who Cincy tried hard to deal to the Yankees who haven't budged as theyre satisfied with their lineup.

Any Chicago Starter that isn't Buerhle: Contreras has been teh big name out there but how much would you pay for a starter with an ERA hovering around 5? Garland seems to be the guy with the biggest price but Chicago is convinced with 1 or 2 changes they can be a playoff team again so I don't see them dealing him away.

Overall come deadline day don't be surprised that from the time you wake up to when you go to sleep nothing significant in Major League Baseball has changed.

good pick up for the braves i just wonder if it was worth losing salty

The thing about Salty is he was never going to catch in Atlanta obviously McCann is locked up for 6 years, and playing him at first base was only a short term solution, moving him to first base long term kills his value, a 30 homer 100 RBI catcher is a whole lot more valuable then a first basemen with the same numbers.

Teix is a gold glove first basemen, switch hitter, tons of power, great paitence at the plate, I'm very excited right now.

But you're right the price was steep.

Guest habsfan#08
The thing about Salty is he was never going to catch in Atlanta obviously McCann is locked up for 6 years, and playing him at first base was only a short term solution, moving him to first base long term kills his value, a 30 homer 100 RBI catcher is a whole lot more valuable then a first basemen with the same numbers.

Teix is a gold glove first basemen, switch hitter, tons of power, great paitence at the plate, I'm very excited right now.

But you're right the price was steep.

Ummm, I thought the Braves really needed pitching. Cause after Smoltz and Hudson, no one else really impresses me. Now the Braves offense is just plain evil. Good luck to the NL east pitchers :P

Ummm, I thought the Braves really needed pitching. Cause after Smoltz and Hudson, no one else really impresses me. Now the Braves offense is just plain evil. Good luck to the NL east pitchers :P

They could use a backend starter, after Smoltz and Hudson they have a lefty named Chuck James, he's a very good pitcher, he's been our tough luck guy this season, pen blows his games, he gets the L in close low scoring games, but he has a very good ERA.

But, we do need 1 more starter for sure.

Guest Brisebois

I like what my Red Sox did on the trade market. Yes, Gagne is just a 3 month rental and he won't have his form of his days in L.A. But the Sox only gave up a spot starter or no. 5 in the rotation with Gabbard, a 4th outfielder with David Murphy (wo was actually only the third best OF at AAA behind Moss and Ellsbury) and a 17-year old from the gulf coast league who is probably 3 or 4 years away. The Sox bullpen looks great right now.

Papelbon

Gagne

Okajima

Delcarmen

Timlin (who's pitching very well lately)

Tavarez

Snyder (long relief, inning eater in losses)

Lopez

Guest sportsfreak_39
blue jays!!!!

that was a very informative post that has enlightened us all with information that we previously would never have known or been able to figure out if it wasnt for your effort, enthusiasm and genius

Guest sportsfreak_39

concerning the deadline:

The Red Sox aquiring Gagne has bme baffled in more ways than one. The one area of their team that didn't need fixing was their bullpen, I think they should have pushed all their efforts into aquiring Dye, even though Chicago was asking for Delcarmon if more time was spent into getting Dye, a deal would've gotten done instead of Chicago not trading him and will probbaly lose him for nothing and Boston would've become the undisputed team to win the Wolrd Series if they had gotten Dye.

A deal I really like is the Mets aquring Luis Castillo, here is a guy who is a grizzled veteran, former premier basesetaler who can steal swap a bag when he wants to and knows pitchers better than they know themselves also being a gold glove talent doesn't hurt.

I also like the Braves getting Octavio Dotel, this guy was poised to be a premier closer, but being in a pen with Mo Rivera set his plans back, then got into trouble with the law, then signed with a team that gave him 15 save opportunities. Atlanta will love this guy. Also for Atlanta a key piece in the Tex trade was getting letf handed Ron Mahay, a left handed reliver the Braves desperately needed, but Atlanta better back all these tardes worth it, as they gave away not only Jarrod Saltalamacchia, but Elvis Andrus who has superstar talent and will most definetly replace Micheal Young or even force Young to move over to 2nd base, because Elvis is that good.

Guest habsfan#08

Roy_133 you might not want to hear this but in the near future the Phillies might be able to take the division...with ease. With Rollins, Utley and Howard as the core the also have Rowand (if he resigns) Victorino, and Bourn. Three guys with speed that kills, one of the best if not the best all around player in the league in Utley and one of the best power hitters in Howard. Rowand is consistent and provides a spark in the lineup.

The only problem is that Charlie manuel moved Myers to the pen although what they need help with is starting pitching. Attracting pitchers to Philly is really hard because their park is a hitters park, meaning they will have to overpay for pitching.

Heres the kicker, Philly is one of the only teams who can afford...A-Rod!!! I know it's a long shot BUT knowing A-Rod he wants to break that homerun record and playing in Philly would undoubtedly help. With the rest of that lineup he would see some fat pitches to smash AND provide protection to Howard at the same time. IMO A-Rod would devour NL pitching and make the Phillys give the Phils the best offense in the league.

Guest lfrommtl

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lfrommtl
talk about laying down a beating... :lol:

i just watched the game. my god. thats ridiculous.

did anyone notice how empty the stadium was.

i was cracking up.

Guest Brisebois

I remembered some predictions we made in the off-season MLB thread. I guess Tim Wakefield surprised us all.

Don't count the Sox out. With Papelbon back at closer, they 're the team to beat in the AL East.

I agree, Sox are the team to beat in the AL right now.

Papelbon I know will be a force. But after Schilling and Dice-K.....who can they actually rely on? Beckett was horrible last year and Wakefield is getting older.

IMO of course.

Beckett still won 16 games last year. His first in the AL East. I guess his ERA will go down. Wakefield is getting older but he's a knuckleballer, so his age won't hurt that much. He will be no ace, but a good and solid no. 4. Tavarez showed some good stuff when he was pushed into the rotation, but is a bit of a gamble. I don't expect too much from him. Lester will be ready in summer and there's also the chance of Roger coming back to Boston. What I really like is the improvement of the Sox bullpen. Only time will tell who'll finish first, second and third. The Yankees, the Sox and the Blue Jays all have the team to finish each of those positions.