The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What Are The Weakest Market Teams?

Bourne

Starting last year with NHL 08, I decided instead of playing a Dynasty with the Habs, I would relocate a weak franchise and rebuild it into a true contender; most due to constant moves Gainey would never think of making. Besides I want the team to be my own in a sense. Nevertheless I would like some information on what are the team that should be relocated due to poor attendance, finances and what have you and where would be a good location, as I intend to do this again for 09. Thus far I am contemplating the following...

In need of relocation

Florida Panthers

Columbus Blue Jackets

New Jersey Devils

Phoenix Coyotes

Nashville Predators

Atlanta Thrashers

New locations

Seattle, Washington

Kansas City, Missouri

Las Vegas, Nevada

Hartford, Connecticut

Winnipeg, Manitoba (Always with no Jets logos, this is not likely)

Feel free to turn this into an actual discussion of the subject of relocation if you wish as it still will provide the information I would like.

As for your new locations go... Las Vegas?! hockey in phoenix isn't working. It isn't gonna work in sin city. KC?! the NHL tried this before. Remember the Scouts... Pretty hard to remember a team that lasted 2 miserable seasons...

Seattle always comes up. Seattle's Key arena needs major renos. if it is to be used for hockey. The tax payers won't shell out for improvements and that is why the NBA Sonics left. I think the rivalry with the canucks would be good. The fans have been supporting junior hockey in Everett and at the new home of the Seattle Thunderbirds. Still I'm not sold on Seattle as a sport town beyond the Seahawks and the mariners.

Hartford.. I was a fan of the Whalers. However, if Buffalo is a small market, Hartford will be a mini-mart.

The 'peg -- The 'peg has shown great support for the AHL Moose for quite awhile. Move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg where they belong..

I would say another team in Ontario should happen. However, I think Buttman and MLSE will try very hard to put the kibosh on this.

Quebec City would be great. I just think if it was hard to find Quebec money to buy the Habs it will be impossible to find finances for a new or relocated franchise.

If Seattle were to get a team they'd need a new arena. Key Arena is both too old and too small for any owner in his right mind to move the team there if they were going to play there. But I think it could be a decent hockey city if it overcame this hurdle (and a relatively small population for a US franchise)

If Seattle were to get a team they'd need a new arena. Key Arena is both too old and too small for any owner in his right mind to move the team there if they were going to play there. But I think it could be a decent hockey city if it overcame this hurdle (and a relatively small population for a US franchise)

I agree, KeyArena is pretty old and only seats around 15k people. I don't know if they would like hockey enough to have a team there though, they're absolutely crazy for (American) football.

Why is this in Beyond Hockey? Anyways...

In need of relocation

Florida Panthers

Columbus Blue Jackets (This market is making huge strides it just needs a freaking winnr which they will soon have.)

New Jersey Devils (Says who?)

Phoenix Coyotes (No way hockey is growing a lot of Arizona.)

Nashville Predators (I agree Nashville has to be moved.)

Atlanta Thrashers

In terms of Atlants and Florida, give em 2-3 more years before considering relocation.

New locations

Seattle, Washington

Kansas City, Missouri

These would be the 2 locations that there would be relocation to out of the places you listed.

Columbus is doing just fine, especially compared to other markets so I think they're fine where they are.

New Jersey just got a new arena built, and again there are way worse markets then that.

Roy I think we've had this discussion before, but I don't think anyone will be fine with Bettman's "expansion" plan until theres 15 teams in Camada.

?? Seattle's population is larger than current teams Washington, Denver, Nashville, Miami, Raileigh, St. Louis to name a few...

so how is it a small market...US cities by population wikipedia... not to mention other places such as KC and LV.

I agree it will take a new arena built with investor money as the tax payers won't shell out.

To answer a number of questions the teams I listed are those that have been reported to be struggle profit ways and while it may come as a surprise to many, New Jersey continuously came into view as a poor marketable team with immense difficulty in selling out games. The locations were what is currently the most discussed rumors. Kansas City was likely to acquire a team if it relocated unless Seattle does as Graeme pointed out and it has been mentioned Las Vegas may eventually have a team, whether or not that is a good idea, remains to be seen. Finally I posted this here mainly because it is from my Dynasty in NHL 09 and thus not entirely related to the real NHL.

Nonetheless thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated.

?? Seattle's population is larger than current teams Washington, Denver, Nashville, Miami, Raileigh, St. Louis to name a few...

so how is it a small market...US cities by population wikipedia... not to mention other places such as KC and LV.

I agree it will take a new arena built with investor money as the tax payers won't shell out.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought some of those other cities were larger than they are.

lets see here

florida could relocate to las vegas

atlanta and nashville, iv been down there, avtually have a lot of really loyal fabs. they probobly arent going anywhere.neither is new jersey

phoenix can relocate to seattle, and colombus to winnepeg(we could use maybe more than 1 canadian team though)

Archived