The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hab's Focus Now On Martin Havlat?

jl-1

I think that the two most logic star players that BG would be interested in would be Havlat and Bouwmeester. However, Havlat would make more sense today only if Andrei Kostitsyn is gone for several weeks with concussion. (I have NO information about Andrei Kostitsyn injury status). I would put Gaborik as far more of a long shot given the defensive style of the Wild and salary implications for Gaborik.

Havlat is a game breaker. Tends to get injuried, too often. True sniper and sure to get a couple of highlight reel goals every season. Chicago seems to be trying to get younger roster. Montreal has a lot of young prospects and possibly enough roster players to get a deal done.

To Montreal: Havlat $6 million (UFA)

To Chicago: Higgins $1.7 (RFA), Dandenault $1.725 (UFA), Bouillon $1.875 (UFA), D'Agostini or 2nd round pick

Despite some fans that think it is funny that Dandenault and Bouillon are included don't look at the salary cap hit that a player like Havlat has on a team. My logic is this. Only the top 8 teams in the NHL would want Havlat because he is UFA and injuried often. Those same top 8 NHL are all very limited in cap space. Therefore if a team like Chicago wants to rid itself of some salary ($6 million) and get some assets (Higgins and prospect) then they must be willing to accept some salary cap in return. The nice thing is that Chicago then has options regarding Bouillon and Dandenault. Chicago could trade those players, waive (hope another team picks up the player or at least half of the salary), or demote to AHL (full salary with no cap hit).

Why would teams like Toronto want a player like Havlat? They are trying to win the draft lottery and the arena is already sold out. Sure they have the cap space, for Sundin.

Would a team like Phoenix want Havlat when the team is close to going broke? Adding Havlat does not help team revenue enough to come close to expense. Great hockey market in PHX.

Problem is, that the Hawks have a pretty young and talented defense. I'm not sure they are on the market to acquire defensemen.

Am I the only one who believes our 'D' is fine as is? Everyone wants a 'top 4 D-man' but I see no use in that as we have many prospects and what is regarded as one of the better defensive corps in the league. Few teams can claim to have 5 or 6 D they would use in any given situation, but the Habs can. Most have 2 or 3 good D and a few others who just 'round out' what ice time is left. Boullion, Georges and Dandenault make a pretty respectable 'bottom 3' D group. Throw in the likes of Webber, O'Byrne < who I am not a fan of > and our other prospects and I believe the Habs are sitting pretty when it comes to this position. Havlat would be an asset to the club, although like most, I am afraid we get him and he stubs his toe and misses the rest of the season < it could happen- he's quite fragile > However, we will have the space at seasons end to pick up a decent free agent< or trade >since Lang will more than likely move on then. Thats 4 million in space that we should get, plus the cap should go up < 2-3 million maybe >. Just makes no sense to be looking for D-man now. Just MO though.

To me, those two statements are contradictory. I see our team the same as the first 2 sentances, not the exception. We have a great top 3 and Boullion, Gorges and Dandenault are our guys who just "round out" what ice time is left.

Havlat... meh. Great talent, but never seems to be playing. I'd take a top 4 dman over him.

Dude-Get use to this...You're going to hear every hair brained trade scenario from now until D-day...I will be so glad when the trade deadline comes and goes because then I won't have to listen to 75 rumors of Gaborik coming to MTL for Higgins, MacDonaugh, Halak, a 1st round pick and a case of Molson Ex.

It has to be a case of Molson Canadian. :lol:

Dude-Get use to this...You're going to hear every hair brained trade scenario from now until D-day...I will be so glad when the trade deadline comes and goes because then I won't have to listen to 75 rumors of Gaborik coming to MTL for Higgins, MacDonaugh, Halak, a 1st round pick and a case of Molson Ex.

I'd trade a case of molson ex for Gaborik.

I think that the two most logic star players that BG would be interested in would be Havlat and Bouwmeester.

Bouwmeester is most certainly available this year...he wants out. But his price is going to be just as high, if not higher, as Havlat or Gaborik. Bo is younger and stud defenseman are harder to find than offensive players with groin problesm.

If the price is right we do.No we shouldn't give up much but if the right deal is there then why not?

The right deal won't be there. Wasn't for Hossa, will not be for Gaborik. A team that wants to trade such a marquee player have 29 suitors, they go with the highest bidder, and said bidder overpays. So the price won't be right.

Dougie couldn't have known about the case of Molson Ex being part of the deal or else,I'm sure,he would have pulled out all stops and added whatever was necessary to make the deal!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

If Florida is looking to get rid of Bouwmeester at the deadline or before, we should seriously consider selling a bit of our farm for him. Imagine filling our 4th defenceman hole with a bona fide 1st pairing defenceman. Our chances of winning the cup would skyrocket. Not to mention it would give us the inside track at signing him long term after he becomes UFA after he experiences what a cup run feels like in Montreal.

Jay Bo is prototypical Montreal hockey defenceman and I am willing to risk a large portion of the farm for his services in our centennial year and for the chance at having him in the future. He skates like nobodies business, his first pass is Markov-esque and he can quarterback the power play. He is young too, experienced, yet I suspect he is hungry to win considering he has been with Florida his whole life.

He is a chance worth taking, considering our farm is overflowing anyways.

If Florida is looking to get rid of Bouwmeester at the deadline or before, we should seriously consider selling a bit of our farm for him. Imagine filling our 4th defenceman hole with a bona fide 1st pairing defenceman. Our chances of winning the cup would skyrocket. Not to mention it would give us the inside track at signing him long term after he becomes UFA after he experiences what a cup run feels like in Montreal.

Jay Bo is prototypical Montreal hockey defenceman and I am willing to risk a large portion of the farm for his services in our centennial year and for the chance at having him in the future. He skates like nobodies business, his first pass is Markov-esque and he can quarterback the power play. He is young too, experienced, yet I suspect he is hungry to win considering he has been with Florida his whole life.

He is a chance worth taking, considering our farm is overflowing anyways.

There is a problem the way I see it... Bouwmeester thrives on ice-time (highest in the league right now I think at approx. 30 minutes per game). Markov gets bumped to the second pairing and he may have a hard time accepting being second fiddle... Bouwmeester has to be top dog going forward IMO.

At this point I would be okay with trading Markov one for one for Bouwmeester who I believe would be an upgrade overall now and in the long-term. And Florida may be happy with that too and possibly be willing to accept some salary (dump) at the same time to offset the fact that Markov is already signed for three more years. Bouwmeester-Komisarek would be an awesome number one pairing IMO... better than Markov-Komi. The kicker would be to get Bouwmeester to agree to have his contract extended by the Habs this year.

We don't get that No. 4 d-man right away but in terms of ice-time (Bouwmeester) would the Habs really need it? Plus there is a savings for this year of close to 1 million plus (Begin would add another million) and the Panthers have the cap space with close to 3 million still available.

The Habs could then have close to 4 million to play with this year.

Ok, I've read all the arguments and a lot of you bring up some good points.

I for one feel that we need a hole filled on the "d", I don't think Bou would be it, specially if we're trading Marky to get him, we're still left with the same hole.

What a lot of people aren't taking into consideration right now, is that AK46 is hurt, this could be a long term injury, specially if he comes back too soon and gets hurt again. I mentioned this already in the AK46 thread, so I'll just nut-shell it for those who haven't heard. Apparently, according to a french radio station, AK46 suffered the same type injury during a pre-season game. It was a mild concussion nothing to get worked up over, but if you add in the fact that's his second in about a month (the second being much more serious), he could be out for a long time.

That means we're missing a big part of our offense, going after offense might not be a bad thing and will be needed if AK46 is out indefinitely.

I don't think that Gabs or Hav would be the answer. We need someone to replace AK46, not someone to keep him company in the press box.

Havlat is playing great, but for how long?

Gaborik is in the same boat as AK46, we don't know how long he's going to be out for. If you look at his track record, it's safe to say he's probably out for at least 20 games.

We have a hole on defense I agree, but we might also have a bigger hole up front that we need to address.

There is a problem the way I see it... Bouwmeester thrives on ice-time (highest in the league right now I think at approx. 30 minutes per game). Markov gets bumped to the second pairing and he may have a hard time accepting being second fiddle... Bouwmeester has to be top dog going forward IMO.

At this point I would be okay with trading Markov one for one for Bouwmeester who I believe would be an upgrade overall now and in the long-term. And Florida may be happy with that too and possibly be willing to accept some salary (dump) at the same time to offset the fact that Markov is already signed for three more years. Bouwmeester-Komisarek would be an awesome number one pairing IMO... better than Markov-Komi. The kicker would be to get Bouwmeester to agree to have his contract extended by the Habs this year.

We don't get that No. 4 d-man right away but in terms of ice-time (Bouwmeester) would the Habs really need it? Plus there is a savings for this year of close to 1 million plus (Begin would add another million) and the Panthers have the cap space with close to 3 million still available.

Assuming we sold the farm, albeit partial for acquire Bouwmeester; why not move Komisarek down to play on our second line with Hamrlik? Bouwmeester could setup Markov for the point shot we desperately have been lacking on our powerplay and Montreal has once again become one of the most dangerous teams in the NHL, especially on the powerplay. Furthermore Bouwmeester is quick on his feet given this fact he can effective run or admittedly outrun a majority of our roster. Nonetheless if Komisarek cannot function contently as our second pair defenseman, we could team Bouwmeester with Hamrlik and run our first two defensive lines more heavily then our third.

In the grand scheme of things while we may be in slight need of a allstar sniper, Bouwmeester is the elite player we ought to acquire. His defensive abilities would significantly improve our roster and at Twenty-four years of age he could theoretically be resigned for a second potential cup run the following season. I personally value him noticeably higher then our prospect McDonagh (sp?) and even Komisarek who while impressive is not as strong defensively as Bouwmeester. You have to take into consideration this is a man whom plays on Florida and is impressive, I can only imagine what he is capable of on a worthwhile team.

Montreal's winning percentage with Markov out of the lineup in previous years is something like 20% Not really a risk I'd be willing to take.

• 2 weeks later...

havlat is playing a balancing spot around the net when viewed with higgins playing with koivu. this isn't to say that havlat would continue to play in the right areas, because not only does chicago have a pretty raucous team in general, but they are getting scoring out of their dmen.

viewed a little more realistically, havlat would revert to the player he is with a trade to the habs, and at his salary the only focus the habs should have is no focus.

Archived