The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Report: Kovalchuk To Montreal Or Toronto?

jl-1

Why wouldn't minni just take Kovalchuck, he is the best player in the deal and is signed for two more years.

Minni has a team that can challenge now for the cup also.

I was trying to find a way for the habs to get him,but yeah of course it would make sense for the Wild to take him.They could easily get the deal done.

higgins, o'byrne and/or halak, mcdonagh, 1st round pick and salary dump dandenault and/or begin.

I would do this in a second. heck if it meant getting this deal done i would throw in a prospect like carle or d'agostini.

I wouldnt touch the Kostitsyn's at all. or price and markov and guys like that but all these players who we love that are actually not worth a whole lot i would give in a second.

this guy has scored 50+ goals like 2-3 times and is one of the highest scoring guys in the league. on a bad team. im sorry but if this deal would go through it would be worth it and this is actually not giving as much as ppl think. not only is he proven, he is in the top 5 in the league for goalscorers and frankly if you dont think he's worth it than you are overevaluating our players. IMO

Jesus. No offense to you, youps, but this kind of outlook drives me crazy. We are not a position to be this choosy about the stars we acquire. If the past few years have taught us anything, it's that we are far from being the most desirable destination for the marquee players. How much success have we had with big-name players in the past few years? From Briere to Sundin to Hossa to Shanahan to Smyth to Rafalski, we are batting .000 when it comes to making the big-splash trade or signing. Yet somehow we're turning our noses up at Ilya frickin Kovalchuk, a former Rocket Richard winner, a 25-year-old sniper who is only just hitting his prime? :blink: :blink:

I know that our primary need is on defense. But when an elite talent like Kovalchuk becomes available, you go for it. Hard. It appears that fans have already forgotten our playoff exit against Philadelphia when, despite our poor goaltending, we could have won if just one of our scorers had been capable of hitting water falling out of a boat. Subtract whatever trade package you have in mind, add Kovalchuk, and we win that series. If you're going to tell me that he isn't proven in the playoffs, the same can be said of all our young forwards who went M.I.A. when it mattered most. Kovalchuk has had one playoff series with a crappy, underpowered Atlanta team that has only gotten worse since then. You put him on a deep, talented team like ours and he will be a monster here in no time.

Kovalchuk is more likely to hit the trade market than Zetterberg, whom Holland will lock up well before he even gets a sniff of the free-agent market. Wishing for Zetterberg is like wishing for Lecavalier or Crosby, it's pure fantasy. Kovalchuk, though, is someone who could potentially be in play, due to the terrible state of the Atlanta franchise. Will we get him? I don't know. Probably not, if our track record is any indication. But to reject Kovalchuk out of hand because he's not Zetterberg is just astonishing to me. This isn't the '70s and we're not the team everyone wants to play for.

Best post of this thread.

The more I read here, the more I'm thinking that the Kostitsyn brothers is what makes the most sense in order to land Kovy.

If i'm the Atlanta GM,,, it would peak my interest.

Its pretty well the only thing that makes sense. Atlanta's reason to move Kovy would be financial, so no way they take a ton of low end roster players equaling Kovy's salary in return. No GM in their right mind would consider such a deal ( JFJ is a scout now :lol: ). The Kosty brothers would be a great return for Atlanta at a cheaper price, which would be right up their alley deal wise. If we want quality we wont get it done by dumping one decent guy like Higgy and a bunch of 4th liners or 5th and 6th D-Men. I'm not even convinced it would be enough, but i am convinced it would be a strong starting point to any possible deal. Once again though,,,,,,i think Atlanta would be insane to trade this guy.

If i'm the Atlanta GM,,, it would peak my interest.

Its pretty well the only thing that makes sense. Atlanta's reason to move Kovy would be financial, so no way they take a ton of low end roster players equaling Kovy's salary in return. No GM in their right mind would consider such a deal ( JFJ is a scout now :lol: ). The Kosty brothers would be a great return for Atlanta at a cheaper price, which would be right up their alley deal wise. If we want quality we wont get it done by dumping one decent guy like Higgy and a bunch of 4th liners or 5th and 6th D-Men. I'm not even convinced it would be enough, but i am convinced it would be a strong starting point to any possible deal. Once again though,,,,,,i think Atlanta would be insane to trade this guy.

Add to that the fact that Andrei might be more willing to re-sign knowing that he will be playing with his brother, another big plus for Atlanta, as they might be able to keep them both until Sergei is eligible to become a UFA.

I think that we would get Waddell's attention by offering the following:

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk
$6.4M

To Atlanta:

Andrei Kostitsyn
$3.25M

Sergei Kostitsyn
$0.817M

Steve Begin
$1.057M or
Mathieu Dandenault
$1.75M

I don't think it will be enough to entice Waddell, you'll probably have to throw in a draft choice as well, I'm thinking, second draft choice and a third and remove Begin or Dandy, I doubt he'd be interested in those two.

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk
$6.4M

To Atlanta:

Andrei Kostitsyn
$3.25M

Sergei Kostitsyn
$0.817M

Steve Begin
$1.057M or
Mathieu Dandenault
$1.75M

I dont know if Waddell would want the 3rd part of that deal. I know it makes sense for us Cap wise but i think he'd want a high draft or strong prospect instead. IMO we probably would have to move another player ( maybe 2) from that group of 4th liners or bottom pairing D in a seperate transaction to get us under the numbers. We would still have to bring up one or two Bulldogs and their salaries into the mix.Would be nice if he did it to help our numbers mesh but i have my doubts he'd do us any favours. Nice to dream though.

I don't think it will be enough to entice Waddell, you'll probably have to throw in a draft choice as well, I'm thinking, second draft choice and a third and remove Begin or Dandy, I doubt he'd be interested in those two.

It's not a matter of interest as much as to make it work cap-wise.

EDIT: Remember that we had to take two salaries in the Samsonov deal. Sometimes, you have to do that in order to make it work

It's not a matter of interest as much as to make it work cap-wise.

EDIT: Remember that we had to take two salaries in the Samsonov deal. Sometimes, you have to do that in order to make it work

With Kovalchuck he's dealing from a position of strength. He gets to dictate whether or not he'll help us out cap wise. We just get to grovel at his feet and hope he chooses us, if indeed he decides to move him. :D

With Kovalchuck he's dealing from a position of strength. He gets to dictate whether or not he'll help us out cap wise. We just get to grovel at his feet and hope he chooses us, if indeed he decides to move him. :D

Yes and no. It all depends how good our offer is (the Kostitsyn brothers) to Waddell. If it's the best offer and what he really wants, he'll do it in a heartbeat as either one (Begin or Dandenault) is a UFA at the end of the season.

Yes and no. It all depends how good our offer is (the Kostitsyn brothers) to Waddell. If it's the best offer and what he really wants, he'll do it in a heartbeat as either one (Begin or Dandenault) is a UFA at the end of the season.

No doubt he'll take the best offer. If i'm Waddell and dealing with BG,,, then because i'm in a position of strength i tell him.......

Deal with your own cap issues. I have similar offers elsewhere and they're willing to throw in a 1st rounder and not a future UFA.

I know where your comming from, thinking the Kosty brothers are more then enough on their own to make the deal if he helps us with the numbers. IMO its gonna take more. ;)

No doubt he'll take the best offer. If i'm Waddell and dealing with BG,,, then because i'm in a position of strength i tell him.......

Deal with your own cap issues. I have similar offers elsewhere and they're willing to throw in a 1st rounder and not a future UFA.

I know where your comming from, thinking the Kosty brothers are more then enough on their own to make the deal if he helps us with the numbers. IMO its gonna take more. ;)

One of Begin or Dandenault and I'll throw in a first rounder!

Deal! :D

Just a thought... Perhaps a good reason why Wadell would trade away a Kovalchuk...

If they tank this year they stand a good chance at what is being considered by some to be a very interesting draft next season... and, therefore, the higher the draft picks being offered coupled with promising young roster players and prospects from other teams the better.

It could/should accelerate a re-build for the franchise.

Could that make the Habs front runners in a possible trade or are there better offers available out there from other aspiring teams?

Whoever puts together the best combination of the elements listed above, could be the winners in a "Kovalchuk" sweeps.

IMO Montreal has a lot to offer.

That might do it. ;) ( I still think he'd be crazy to trade this kid.)

You and I both agree on that. I was simply having fun trying to guess what we would need to sacrifice for a player like Kovalchuk with two years remaining to his contract. I don't believe that he'll be traded. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do like Ovechkin in Washington and re-sign a very long term and lucrative contract.

You and I both agree on that. I was simply having fun trying to guess what we would need to sacrifice for a player like Kovalchuk with two years remaining to his contract. I don't believe that he'll be traded. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do like Ovechkin in Washington and re-sign a very long term and lucrative contract.

I have my doubts about that JL. The difference with Ovechkin was Washington was on the rise; showing a dedication to improve to eventually become true cup contenders. Atlanta has in no way shape or form shown any indication they will amount to anything beyond a rookie chaser. Thus it is entirely possible and more likely Kovalchuk may wish to move to a contender team. Could this be Montreal in two years? Doubtful since we never seen able to convince the stars to sign on the dotted line however who knows.

You can't even make a trade for Kovalchuck because not even eny of the numbers work. The Habs would have to give up 3 or 4 roster players to get his salary under the cap.

Not gonna happen.

Actually, this works:

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk
$6.4M

To Atlanta:

Andrei Kostitsyn
$3.25M

Sergei Kostitsyn
$0.817M

Steve Begin
$1.057M or
Mathieu Dandenault
$1.75M

Actually, this works:

No.

If you remove 3 roster players for one guy, you'll probably need to call up some $850, 000 guys from Hamilton, at which point the math stops working with Steve Begin if you call up even one guy, and stops working with Dandeneault if you call up 2 guys.

So you'd have to throw in something else, like Francis Bouillon, which means calling up 3 850, 000 guys assuming a roster of constant size.

Archived