The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jay Bouwmeester

jl-1

I agree a tweak is what is really needed but one can dispute that having jaybo added to our already solid if healthy D, will bring us from playoff bound to serious contenders. The role we need is only a top 4 d-man to play with hamrlik and preferably he would need to be a PP guy aswell. Jaybo fits that role too well but thats a problem you want to have, and aside from markov our first outlet passer's on defence are not all that great aswell as D-men to skate the puck into the zone with speed. I would be willing to let komi walk if it meant signing Jaybo to a long term deal just because of his caliber and his age, but preferably i would deal hamrlik instead and resign Jaybo and Komi next summer. But as i said before, i would be happy with an Ohlund caliber d-man instead.

I would sign Komisarek and let Jaybo walk, hes in the prime of his career and will be commanding mega dollars where as I think we can get Komi for a reasonable price.

I figure we have enough guys to sign at the end of the year, why add another? JBo is good, don't get me wrong, but do we need another guy demanding big bucks? I know he plays 28 minutes a game, but he is in the same category as Komi in my opinion. If he is asking for anything about what the rest of you would pay Komi, why bother. His career high for points is 45 or so, he blocks less shots and throws less hits. Were he to get above 50 points on a regular basis I would say try and get him, but he has only got more than 40 two or three times. Just my opinion though.

Including Komisarek in a deal to get Jaybo would just put the Habs in the same spot we are in ,needing a top four d-men,and we don't want to give up to much for someone who might not resign with them and his price tag will be up there like Campbell deal .The only way it would happen is a sign and trade,and not gut the team for one player.

with mike komisarek out of the lineup,there is a glaring need to shore up the back end.i propose that a trade with florida takes place. montreal trades kovalev,latendresse,white,rights to perezoghin,bouillon,fischer and 2nd rd pick in 09 for bouwmeester and matthias. thoughts

with mike komisarek out of the lineup,there is a glaring need to shore up the back end.i propose that a trade with florida takes place. montreal trades kovalev,latendresse,white,rights to perezoghin,bouillon,fischer and 2nd rd pick in 09 for bouwmeester and matthias. thoughts

There are much cheaper and valid options out there. Too much.

Latendresse is a roster player, Kovalev is a roster player, Bouillon is a roster player, Perezhogin, though, is worth zero as he's staying in Russia, and Fischer and White are worth more than being thrown-ins.

You are suggesting Florida trade one of the best defensemen in the league for a average UFA, an average first round pick (remember the better we are the lower the value of that pick) and an unproven rookie and you want them to throw in their first round pick? No offense however do you believe Florida to be insane? :P

Personally what I initially posted as a fantasy trade might actually be a decent possibility. That would be to trade the following...

To Florida:

• Alex Kovalev $4.5M
  • Robert Lang $4.0M
  • Ryan O'Byrne $0.942M
  • Mathieu Dandenault $1.725M
  • Low level pick if necessary

To Montreal:

• Jay Bouwmeester $4.875M
  • Unlikely but any low level player, preferably a center

Yeah... we are going to have to substitute O'Byrne after his recent... addition to the score board. We could possibly hang on to Lang and dangle Plekanec however I would much prefer to lose Lang despite the ill performance of Plek. Kovalev's lack of point production may force us to offer slightly more although it may be possible to escape by offering only our first rounder instead of a player.

This was only under the assumption we are able to sign Sundin, although calling Chipchura to replace Lang is a viable notion.

In spite of our overall play to date, this is team that is built to contend. Parting with both Kovalev and Lang with no scoring coming back is inconsistent with what we are trying to accomplish. Besides, it's too much money going Florida's way. It is more likely they would be looking for draft picks as compensation. Lang and Kovalev are the types of players who could help push a team in contention over the edge. A team like Florida, in the early stages of rebuilding, wouldn't have much use for those players.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...581216-sun.html

The Florida Panthers are getting to the point where moving potential UFA defenceman Jay Bouwmeester might be their only option. Florida has found no takers for Brett McLean, Radek Dvorak or Rostislav Olesz. Every team wants Bouwmeester and some are waiting for GM Jacques Martin to get serious about taking offers. The asking price will be a player, prospect and pick, but the talk among GMs is they want the chance to talk about a contract extension with Bouwmeester before working out a trade for him. "If you give up that much and don't sign the guy, it's a recipe to get fired," said one league executive.

Personally what I initially posted as a fantasy trade might actually be a decent possibility. That would be to trade the following...

To Florida:

• Alex Kovalev $4.5M
  • Robert Lang $4.0M
  • Ryan O'Byrne $0.942M
  • Mathieu Dandenault $1.725M
  • Low level pick if necessary

To Montreal:

• Jay Bouwmeester $4.875M
  • Unlikely but any low level player, preferably a center

I cannot see Florida agreeing to that

You are sening FLA three players at the end of their careers ( Lang, Kovaelv and Dandenault ) and a 6th , 7th or spare D Man ) O'Byrne ) for # 1 D man .........won't work

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...581216-sun.html

The Florida Panthers are getting to the point where moving potential UFA defenceman Jay Bouwmeester might be their only option. Florida has found no takers for Brett McLean, Radek Dvorak or Rostislav Olesz. Every team wants Bouwmeester and some are waiting for GM Jacques Martin to get serious about taking offers. The asking price will be a player, prospect and pick, but the talk among GMs is they want the chance to talk about a contract extension with Bouwmeester before working out a trade for him. "If you give up that much and don't sign the guy, it's a recipe to get fired," said one league executive.

well that looks interesting....any word if Habs are actually one of the teams interested? Also, who would the Habs want to give from current roster, what prospect and pick? ...interesting.

well that looks interesting....any word if Habs are actually one of the teams interested? Also, who would the Habs want to give from current roster, what prospect and pick? ...interesting.

I would give up Plekanec,S.Kostitsyn and Fischer.

They would most likely want Plekanec,Komisarek,and a pick,and maybe even Kovalev or A.Kostitsyn.Too much.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Ken Warren reports Senators GM Bryan Murray doesn't like what he's been offered thus far by rival GMs as he searches for a trade to bolster his struggling club. Rumors have linked the Senators to the Florida Panthers and LA Kings with defensemen Cory Murphy and Tom Preissing featuring prominently. Warren also notes Panthers GM Jacques Martin could be trying to drive up the asking price for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, suggesting the Maple Leafs and Canadiens could be in the mix.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Given a choice between a return from the Habs, Leafs and Senators for Bouwmeester Martin probably goes with the Habs as they have more to offer up in terms of young talent. That being said I'm not suggesting Bouwmeester will land in Montreal or that they're even interested right now. The Senators really don't have much to offer without parting with a really good player like Spezza. With Murray dealing from a position of weakness he's not going to get many good offers.

My trade porposal

TO MTL: Jay Bouwmeester, Gregory Campbell

TO FLA: Thomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn, Segei Kostitsyn

If you sign Sundin and acquire Bouwmeester.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Ken Warren reports Senators GM Bryan Murray doesn't like what he's been offered thus far by rival GMs as he searches for a trade to bolster his struggling club. Rumors have linked the Senators to the Florida Panthers and LA Kings with defensemen Cory Murphy and Tom Preissing featuring prominently. Warren also notes Panthers GM Jacques Martin could be trying to drive up the asking price for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, suggesting the Maple Leafs and Canadiens could be in the mix.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Given a choice between a return from the Habs, Leafs and Senators for Bouwmeester Martin probably goes with the Habs as they have more to offer up in terms of young talent. That being said I'm not suggesting Bouwmeester will land in Montreal or that they're even interested right now. The Senators really don't have much to offer without parting with a really good player like Spezza. With Murray dealing from a position of weakness he's not going to get many good offers.

My trade porposal

TO MTL: Jay Bouwmeester, Gregory Campbell

TO FLA: Thomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn, Segei Kostitsyn

If you sign Sundin and acquire Bouwmeester.

As much as Jaybo can help our team I would not be willing to part with those three, especially at this stage in their careers. Those 3 are our future and although they're slumping right now, let's not forget how they all played last year.

I'd be willing to give up Higgins, Lats and Lapierre and a few draft picks for this trade.

As much as Jaybo can help our team I would not be willing to part with those three, especially at this stage in their careers. Those 3 are our future and although they're slumping right now, let's not forget how they all played last year.

This.

id love to have bouwmeester, but unless we could get him for peanuts (which we wont) then I think he's too costly for our needs right now. There has to be a solid, 2nd pairing dman available for a cost that isnt going hurt our chemistry now, or cripple us in the future. Gainey will find him.

How about the 3 we have in the press box for a signed Boumeister for 5 year 30 million.

Latendresse

Sergei Kostitsyn

Ryan O'Byrne

For

Jay Bouwmester

Hmmmmm

Add in Francis Bouillon and it works cap wise.

Florida gets a conditional 2nd round draft pick if we make the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm not too keen on giving up on 2 young players, but DA_champions deal for Jaybo looks pretty good. I don't think Martin would do it though. Perhaps if we threw in a centreman instead of either Kostitsen/O'Byrne (Chipchura as an example). But overall I don't know od too many habs fans that would dislike that trade for a long term contract Jay Bowmeester.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived