The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jay Bouwmeester

jl-1

Interesting developments, according to CJAD Gainey has discussed with Florida's GM amount the possibility of a trade. They did not cite whether or not it was for Bouwmeester; furthermore they reported in a previous interview Bouwmeester himself said we would like an opportunity to play in his home city of Edmonton. Whether or not we acquire his serves it would appear Bouwmeester will no longer be a Panther for much longer, although I am hardly surprised.

Well it's obvious that just cause your a mod doesn't mean you actually know anything :P

We don't need JayBo we have a better offensive defenceman in Andrei Markov. Trading Komi for JayBo or even just letting him walk would be like losing a goalie and replacing him with a center. If the only thing that made a defenceman good was offensive numbers then why wouldn't every team just put a forward on the back end that knows how to play a little D. Komi is the kind of player every team needs to make them better.

Oh and anyone that brought up D'Agostini's name in the trade talks should be biting there tongues by now, the kids a dynamo....

Well it's obvious that just cause your a mod doesn't mean you actually know anything :P

We don't need JayBo we have a better offensive defenceman in Andrei Markov. Trading Komi for JayBo or even just letting him walk would be like losing a goalie and replacing him with a center. If the only thing that made a defenceman good was offensive numbers then why wouldn't every team just put a forward on the back end that knows how to play a little D. Komi is the kind of player every team needs to make them better.

Oh and anyone that brought up D'Agostini's name in the trade talks should be biting there tongues by now, the kids a dynamo....

I'm a mod?! Score! :D

Not quite certain how you came to the conclusions you did but they are incorrect, mate. First I never cited we would trade Komisarek, I actually had not posted any trades as of yet. Nonethless you are grossly overestimating Komisarek and underestimating Bouwmeester. Both play a different defensive role however by overall evaluation Bouwmeester is much better then Komisarek. Claiming that keeping Bouwmeester; assuming we did resign him over Komisarek is akin to putting a centre in the net is absolute ludicrous.

As for Markov, I would argue is more of a defensive defenseman and a powerplay quarterback. While he has a shot, he refrains from using it at practically all cost, preferring to set up another player such as Souray, Streit or Kovalev.

My trade proposal would be...

- Chriss Higgins or Thomas Plekanec

- Maxim Lapierre or Guillaume Latendresse

- Ryan O'Byrne

- Steve Begin, Francis Bouillon or Mathieu Dandenault (Purely to drop salary)

- Possibility of a second round draft pick

The second round would probably be necessary if we did not wish to lose Plekanec or Lapierre; it may cost a first in that case. Of all the players mentioned I would dislike losing Lapierre the most although if Plekanec can turn around then he may come off the block. Higgins? Well the jury is out on him.

((Seems I was unable to edit, so double posted))

Dynamo? I'm not sure what you'd qualify as dynamo but Dagostini is no where as good as the word would imply. I don't see why anyone should be biting there tongues, the guy hasn't scored a goal in a few games, let's see how long this streak goes because that was the only reason people were hyped about him. Yeah he works hard and blah blah but 90% of Rookies do when they're trying to prove their worth.

The time to trade him was when he was on fire, now that he's cooled down so has his value.

I'm a mod?! Score! :D

Not quite certain how you came to the conclusions you did but they are incorrect, mate. First I never cited we would trade Komisarek, I actually had not posted any trades as of yet. Nonethless you are grossly overestimating Komisarek and underestimating Bouwmeester. Both play a different defensive role however by overall evaluation Bouwmeester is much better then Komisarek. Claiming that keeping Bouwmeester; assuming we did resign him over Komisarek is akin to putting a centre in the net is absolute ludicrous.

As for Markov, I would argue is more of a defensive defenseman and a powerplay quarterback. While he has a shot, he refrains from using it at practically all cost, preferring to set up another player such as Souray, Streit or Kovalev.

I wasnt talking about you I was referencing the entire thread and it was created by a mod.

Dynamo? I'm not sure what you'd qualify as dynamo but Dagostini is no where as good as the word would imply. I don't see why anyone should be biting there tongues, the guy hasn't scored a goal in a few games, let's see how long this streak goes because that was the only reason people were hyped about him. Yeah he works hard and blah blah but 90% of Rookies do when they're trying to prove their worth.

The time to trade him was when he was on fire, now that he's cooled down so has his value.

Maybe the fact that he plays a solid all around game is the reason. If you can't see that this kid has the skill to be an nhler then you should watch another sport. Did i say he was gonna score 100 goals a season? Again a player is more then points.

Maybe the fact that he plays a solid all around game is the reason. If you can't see that this kid has the skill to be an nhler then you should watch another sport. Did i say he was gonna score 100 goals a season? Again a player is more then points.

Solid all around play does not make you "dynamo", sorry but maybe you and me just have completely different interpretations of the word. "If I can't see his has the skilll......" Where exactly did you get that idea? You pulled it out of thin air? Please quote me saying he doesn't have the skill to be a nhler, and if being an nhler makes you dynamo then we should just end this here. No, nor did anyone accuse you of saying that but my point is we have enough players that can work hard and skate well, if he isn't putting up the points then there is no reason he should be on the top line.

We need immediate defense depth in our system, we have an excess of young wingers, D'Ags just got called up.

Hes young controllable, cheap, and as SK74 eluded was on a torrid and unrealistic hot streak to his actual true talent levels. Hes valuable trade bait if we could get a young controllable and good d-man back.

Contenders may not want him, but rebuilders or middle of the road teams would, contenders would want Higgins.

We need immediate defense depth in our system, we have an excess of young wingers, D'Ags just got called up.

Hes young controllable, cheap, and as SK74 eluded was on a torrid and unrealistic hot streak to his actual true talent levels. Hes valuable trade bait if we could get a young controllable and good d-man back.

Contenders may not want him, but rebuilders or middle of the road teams would, contenders would want Higgins.

As much as I like Higgins, I'd be more inclined to trade Higgins and keep AK74.

Like I've mentioned many times before, Higgins' injuries are starting to concern me. When healthy he can play just about on any line. Either on a top scoring line or a strong back checking line, but the question, are these injuries bad luck or a sign of things to come?

AK74, although off to a stagnant season, is the future of the habs. I've seen some beautiful puck work from this kid, quick release and a good passer. I can see him turning into a "pocket" Kovalev, with Kovalev on the other side of 35, it's nice to to know you may have someone in the system who could take his place.

Getting JaBo would be great for this habs club. Would probably turn our hurting PP around and gibve us a d-man who could grow with our others d-men coming up.

My concern, would Florida want too much?

I actually have high hopes for Ob, but not in Montreal. He needs to leave this city to get a fresh start. Unfortunately, the mtl fans have him in the dog house. If history tells us anything, it teaches us that to get out of the doghouse, the player has to leave town for a few years. ie; Carbo, Brise, Theo, etc...

I think it would be in his and the teams best interest to send Ob somewhere, anywhere!

Throw Ob into a package and maybe geta draft pick for him.

I can't see Bob trading our 1st round pick for 2009 since the draft will be in Montreal unless something really sweet came across that he couldn't refuse.I don't see Boumeister or Gaborik being either of them especially with 3 or 4 players throwed in the mix as will.Just too much to give up for these players.I know you have to trade away good players to get good in return,but some of the trades I've seen in here and other blogs as well,seems like everyone has us giving up way to much for these players.If your talking this years first round pick that alone is big considering that this years draft is suppose to be realy deep,one of the deepest in years actually.So by trading that pick with a third or fourth liner is all I would give up.The Boumeister's and Gaboriks are FA's at season's end which makes that in itself makes it enough without guarantee of a re-signing.Just because we finally have some depth doesn't mean we have to trade it all away at once.

I can't see Bob trading our 1st round pick for 2009 since the draft will be in Montreal unless something really sweet came across that he couldn't refuse.I don't see Boumeister or Gaborik being either of them especially with 3 or 4 players throwed in the mix as will.Just too much to give up for these players.I know you have to trade away good players to get good in return,but some of the trades I've seen in here and other blogs as well,seems like everyone has us giving up way to much for these players.If your talking this years first round pick that alone is big considering that this years draft is suppose to be realy deep,one of the deepest in years actually.So by trading that pick with a third or fourth liner is all I would give up.The Boumeister's and Gaboriks are FA's at season's end which makes that in itself makes it enough without guarantee of a re-signing.Just because we finally have some depth doesn't mean we have to trade it all away at once.

I hardly see Higgins , Bouillion and O'byrne as being a major depth hit. MTL will barely feel their departures.

I hardly see Higgins , Bouillion and O'byrne as being a major depth hit. MTL will barely feel their departures.

I agree about O'Byrne and Boullion but not about Higgins.I will tell you that Higgins is a player that we will be glad to have kept in a year or two.He is still young.If you think that lowly of O'Byrne and Boullion and Higgins,will maybe other teams may think the same way and therefore not want them either.Boullion time in Montreal will come to the fore at seasons end one way or the other.O'byrne I think still needs confidence to pay in the NHL and Gainey and Carbo did the right thing with sending him back to the AHL.Should have done it sooner.O'Byrne just seem to have bad luck and always seemed to just keep getting into trouble on and off the ice,not how you want to start off your NHL career.Higgins is a leader type player,no he is not a 40 goal scorer,but he is a 20-25 goal scorer and I think for him too he just needs to shake this injury bug and get some games under his belt without having to sit for periods of time and rehabing.It's always hard to find your timing coming back from injury.I think if Higgins could play a full season injury free you would see what numbers he could put up.So as to your reply we would miss Higgins no doubt but not Boullion and O'Byrne as much because of our depth at that position.

- Ryan O'Byrne

The second round would probably be necessary if we did not wish to lose Plekanec or Lapierre; it may cost a first in that case. Of all the players mentioned I would dislike losing Lapierre the most although if Plekanec can turn around then he may come off the block. Higgins? Well the jury is out on him.

((Seems I was unable to edit, so double posted))

Way too much , if there asking that, which im sure some stupid team (Pittsburg last year) will do and destroy there chances in teh future, way to much to give up for a rental/

I agree about O'Byrne and Boullion but not about Higgins.I will tell you that Higgins is a player that we will be glad to have kept in a year or two.He is still young.If you think that lowly of O'Byrne and Boullion and Higgins,will maybe other teams may think the same way and therefore not want them either.Boullion time in Montreal will come to the fore at seasons end one way or the other.O'byrne I think still needs confidence to pay in the NHL and Gainey and Carbo did the right thing with sending him back to the AHL.Should have done it sooner.O'Byrne just seem to have bad luck and always seemed to just keep getting into trouble on and off the ice,not how you want to start off your NHL career.Higgins is a leader type player,no he is not a 40 goal scorer,but he is a 20-25 goal scorer and I think for him too he just needs to shake this injury bug and get some games under his belt without having to sit for periods of time and rehabing.It's always hard to find your timing coming back from injury.I think if Higgins could play a full season injury free you would see what numbers he could put up.So as to your reply we would miss Higgins no doubt but not Boullion and O'Byrne as much because of our depth at that position.

You have to give up something to make the other team want to do the deal. As much as I like Higgins, I'd be willing to part with him if it gives the team another top 2 defenceman back there.

We do not think badly of Higgins and etc, however we are being realistic which is often a rarity here. You cannot expect to land an elite defenseman or sniper for chump change. A rebuilding franchise would better manage OB then we possibly will and Higgins is frankly expandable. Higgins might be a leader type, however Komisarek is just as effective in that position. Do I wish to trade Higgins? Not particularly, yet I realize without including him in a strong package deal we will never land anything beyond a quick fix.

The draft may be impressive this season however that is for the top ten; Montreal will be drafting quite low especially if we run high into the playoff thus are first round is a movable piece if we intend to win.

Also mate, spaces after periods and paragraphs would make reading your posts much less of a headache.

Way too much , if there asking that, which im sure some stupid team (Pittsburg last year) will do and destroy there chances in teh future, way to much to give up for a rental/

Who is to say Bouwmeester does not want to remain with Montreal? That is the value of an elite player, we will never land ourselves a Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Bouwmeester or anyone without paying to the extent my package shows. Each player can easily be replaced, thus it will not destroy our future, it will help win us a Stanley Cup. Pittsburg's deal was in actuality not much of an excessive purchase considering it got them to round six of the Stanley Cup finals at the expense of what? Two underachievers on Atlanta of all teams and a rookie who finally managed to make team Canada this season. Not to sell them sort yet for Hossa the deal was not as one sided as many believe.

This is the cost of elite players.

Bourne I agree with you, we will have to give up a good package such as the one you suggested, however I would rather give up a couple draft picks (seeing as how we're pretty deep in prospects as is) than trade Higgins.

Perhaps a package of Bouillon, O'Byrne, 1st rd pick 2009 and 2nd rd pick 2010

Also you could throw in a 3rd/4th rd pick to that deal to set up a deal with his agent prior to the trade to ensure he signs an extention or long term deal.

That may be a sweet enough deal to entice Martin, they are rebuilding and a couple d-men couldn't hurt, this also saves them some $$$ on the cap this year and next year as Bouillon is at the end of his contract and doesn't need to be resigned if they don't want to.

Bourne I agree with you, we will have to give up a good package such as the one you suggested, however I would rather give up a couple draft picks (seeing as how we're pretty deep in prospects as is) than trade Higgins.

Perhaps a package of Bouillon, O'Byrne, 1st rd pick 2009 and 2nd rd pick 2010

Also you could throw in a 3rd/4th rd pick to that deal to set up a deal with his agent prior to the trade to ensure he signs an extention or long term deal.

That may be a sweet enough deal to entice Martin, they are rebuilding and a couple d-men couldn't hurt, this also saves them some $$$ on the cap this year and next year as Bouillon is at the end of his contract and doesn't need to be resigned if they don't want to.

Oh believe me if I thought we could exchange Higgins for draft picks in a trade for Bouwmeester I would do so in a heartbeat, considering Higgins is essentially a developed rookie. Unfortunately I imagine Florida wants at least one strong roster player and with Boullion being a UFA come season end they have little need of him. Currently Florida is only four points out of the playoff race and while they know Bouwmeester will walk, they still could contend. So if Bouwmeester is moved it will cost quite a pretty penny.

Personally as much as I would love to have Jaybo, I agree with Weep in we need an elite sniper who will fit that hole in the goal barely the size of a golf ball and pot the puck through it.

- Ryan O'Byrne

Hell, I wouldn't even do this trade if I was desperate for Bouwmeester in particular.

We CAN have an experienced 4th D for MUCH less. Why pay more ?

- Ryan O'Byrne

Hell, I wouldn't even do this trade if I was desperate for Bouwmeester in particular.

- Ryan O'Byrne

You pay more for better quality. I will admit though if Toronto has a house sale I would love to snag Kubina from them. Did you get a look at the guy's shot the other night? It brought back memories as it cannoned two Sabers; ah Sheldon Souray. I miss that shot.

Nonetheless this is a realistic offer and that is what any good sniper would cost, such as Kovalchuk; hell Koval would likely cost more.

Sorry for the triple post. I seem to have problems connecting to the board these days.

This board has a tendency to do that, rather annoying although I suppose a plus is my post count increases; not that I care. :P

Archived