The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NBA

BarbraT

Imagine the day where Ovechkin (or maybe Kabanov if he gained similar status to Ovechkin) would become an UFA! He'd probably do the same thing as LeBron did to basketball.

Next on Versus: "Ovechkin: The Decision"

Or imagine if Sidney Crosby pulled this stunt. Was this Lebron James move egotistical or what?

The NBA will be ruined. One question: is the NHL seen in a positive light in the media?

I wouldn't go that far, especially if the three of them have success. I don't think hockey is seen in a positive or negative light. I think it's just in the dark. It only gets attention if something really good happens or something really bad. It's in the same state NASCAR used to be in. Before it was on ESPN, it was largely ignored and poked fun at. That's how hockey has been since it moved to Versus.

OK, then, such a thing could happen by the time Ovechkin is 35 since Ovie will be an UFA then.

Yeah, but in ten years his free agency isn't going to be a huge deal. A lot can happen in ten years and it's unlikely that he's still going to be popping 50 goals and 100 points a year by that time.

its all over blown ... the knicks still went and got amare ... the raps knew that bosh wasnt going to sign back since like 2 seasons ago ... the league knew ... there had been rumblings of this for the last year ... people are just upset lbj went to a team that they dont cheer for ... those fans out in ohio who were on cnn burning their lebron james jerseys are ridiculous ... stupid even ...

Imagine that Maurice Richard, in his prime, had decided to go to Toronto to announce that he was leaving the Habs to join Gordie Howe in Detroit. That is how Cavs fans are feeling. On top of that, much of the anger has to do with how he handled it. All he had to do was make a simple press release earlier in the week thanking Cleveland for the last 7 years, but that he felt it was best for him to move on. Instead, he created a whole circus act with days of buildup so that he could have his own television special. How self-important. Fans who loved him and thought he was a classy guy found out the truth about him and it hurts.

Imagine that Maurice Richard, in his prime, had decided to go to Toronto to announce that he was leaving the Habs to join Gordie Howe in Detroit. That is how Cavs fans are feeling. On top of that, much of the anger has to do with how he handled it. All he had to do was make a simple press release earlier in the week thanking Cleveland for the last 7 years, but that he felt it was best for him to move on. Instead, he created a whole circus act with days of buildup so that he could have his own television special. How self-important. Fans who loved him and thought he was a classy guy found out the truth about him and it hurts.

richard and lebron are different people in a different time with different sports and different teams ... honestly, he won 8 cups with montreal ... we gave him good line mates ... lebron spent 7 years with cleveland ... they didnt give him the people he needed ... not to mention the rumours about his team mate, mr. west, sleeping with his mom this past season ... lebron brought the cavs back from death ... a dying franchise ... he gave 7 years to ... he owes them nothing ... the owner writing that letter calling james a quitter and a coward is a stupid move ... he didn't force anyone to watch the espn special ... people watched because they wanted to ... they're mad because he didnt pick their team ... for heat fans it was great, for everyone else it was crap ... espn loved it ... they set it up ... if espn said hey fanpuck93 we'll pay you this many million to give us the decision ... you'd say no? lol come on now ...

the cavs and their fans should be greatful he even spent 7 years there ... the franchise was dead without him ... its not like he pulled a mats sundin and waited until half the season was done to sign ... its not like hes pulling an ilya kovulchuk and rejecting offers of 10 million a year for 10 years ... we have hockey players who are much worse ... in my eyes, as a raptors fan, he did nothing wrong ... bosh went to miami ... lebron went to miami ... they want to win ... heat fans should be hyped ... everyone else can cry because they're butt hurt that 2 big free agents went to play with their friend in miami ... he made his choice ... espn wanted views and to make it a deal ... the nba loves whatever press it can get ... and lebron got paid ... at the end of the day, he could break his leg tomorrow and never play again ... he better make what he can now ...

richard and lebron are different people in a different time with different sports and different teams ... honestly, he won 8 cups with montreal ... we gave him good line mates ... lebron spent 7 years with cleveland ... they didnt give him the people he needed ... not to mention the rumours about his team mate, mr. west, sleeping with his mom this past season ... lebron brought the cavs back from death ... a dying franchise ... he gave 7 years to ... he owes them nothing ... the owner writing that letter calling james a quitter and a coward is a stupid move ... he didn't force anyone to watch the espn special ... people watched because they wanted to ... they're mad because he didnt pick their team ... for heat fans it was great, for everyone else it was crap ... espn loved it ... they set it up ... if espn said hey fanpuck93 we'll pay you this many million to give us the decision ... you'd say no? lol come on now ...

the cavs and their fans should be greatful he even spent 7 years there ... the franchise was dead without him ... its not like he pulled a mats sundin and waited until half the season was done to sign ... its not like hes pulling an ilya kovulchuk and rejecting offers of 10 million a year for 10 years ... we have hockey players who are much worse ... in my eyes, as a raptors fan, he did nothing wrong ... bosh went to miami ... lebron went to miami ... they want to win ... heat fans should be hyped ... everyone else can cry because they're butt hurt that 2 big free agents went to play with their friend in miami ... he made his choice ... espn wanted views and to make it a deal ... the nba loves whatever press it can get ... and lebron got paid ... at the end of the day, he could break his leg tomorrow and never play again ... he better make what he can now ...

The association between Kovalchuck (Atlanta) and LeBron is quite weird

Both Rejected Larger Offers from Their Teams

Kovalchuk with Atlanta

LeBron with Cleveland

Both carried their respected franchise for way to long.

and, both have made a massive farce of signing in free agency.

It was a comparison based on how the fans felt about the players. Both were hometown heroes to the fans. Richard brought Cups and LeBron was supposed to be the one who ended the city of Cleveland's years of suffering (no championships in any sport since the 60's). LeBron pretty much ran the team while he was here, so yeah, he kinda owes them. They didn't do anything without asking him about it first, lest they ***** him off and scare him away. They gave LeBron plenty of pieces, there was no good reason the Cavs didn't make the finals and second time with him. They improved every year after they made the finals, LeBron just couldn't carry them again.

And like I said all along, it's not about the fact that he left for me. I hadn't followed the NBA in years before LeBron and could not have cared less about the Cavs. So I'm not a Cavs fan who had his heart torn out. I was just a guy who thought LeBron was a guy who seemed to break the stereotypes about typical NBA stars. He was well-spoken and seemed down to earth. He didn't seem like an ego-maniac. So creating a circus around himself destroyed that perception. Even if he'd stayed, I was going to have a tough time rooting for him anymore. Dan Gilbert went over the top, but the word narcissist certainly applies.

With a max contract and endorsements, LeBron makes 20+ million a year after taxes (even more than that since there are no state income taxes in Florida). On top of that, he's already pulled down over a 100 million post taxes over the last seven years. He could have donated two and half million to Boy's and Girl's Clubs of America and not even missed it. He didn't need to create an hour long self-love-fest to make a big donation. You're darn right I wouldn't have done the same thing in his shoes. I have more class and integrity than that. I would have felt that the attention should be focused on the three of us (myself, Bosh, and Wade) coming together to win championships. Instead, he made it about himself, hoisting himself on a pedestal above his two new teammates. Like I've said already, that's just not who I thought LeBron was. If he hadn't created a whole circus around himself, I would be sitting here praising him for wanting to team up with two other great players. I would be excited to see if three stars could co-exist in today's NBA. I still like Bosh and Wade, they handled themselves well through all of this.

The NHL equivalent of what the Heat did would be the Habs signing both Crosby and Kovalchuk. Crosby would be a happy Hab but Kovalchuk? And, while the Habs would make playoffs season after season (perhaps even make SCF once every couple of seasons or so), with Price in the net, many people would then hate the Habs much more than they do now.

He should have gone to the New York Knicks.

I don't understand why he's choosing to play for less money.

That said, most of the morons who criticize players who always go for the money should be celebrating LeBron. He didn't go for the money.

That said, most of the morons who criticize players who always go for the money should be celebrating LeBron. He didn't go for the money.

I don't know squat about basketball teams, just that I wanted LA to beat Boston because the Celtics are also home to the Bruins.:P

I have no idea how good the Knicks team is, but I'm pretty sure that no amount of cash will ever fill the void in yourself if you're unable to ever win a championship.

Don't forget that guys who straight up leave a team to sign with another leave 30 million dollars on the table to do so. LeBron and Bosh both ended up doing sign-and-trade deals to make up 10-15 million of those 30 million. Sorry, but when you're already making 110 million, 15 million is hardly a sacrifice. They didn't go solely for the money, but they didn't exactly not go for the money either. But like I've said, I applaud all three for taking a hit, even a minor one, to go for the championship. Wade and Bosh are cool with me. I just hate how LeBron handled it.

Good article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=nba

its all over blown ... the knicks still went and got amare ... the raps knew that bosh wasnt going to sign back since like 2 seasons ago ... the league knew ... there had been rumblings of this for the last year ... people are just upset lbj went to a team that they dont cheer for ... those fans out in ohio who were on cnn burning their lebron james jerseys are ridiculous ... stupid even ...

I guess those fans in Ohio needed to vent, although there are much better ways to vent.

It was a comparison based on how the fans felt about the players. Both were hometown heroes to the fans. Richard brought Cups and LeBron was supposed to be the one who ended the city of Cleveland's years of suffering (no championships in any sport since the 60's). LeBron pretty much ran the team while he was here, so yeah, he kinda owes them. They didn't do anything without asking him about it first, lest they ***** him off and scare him away. They gave LeBron plenty of pieces, there was no good reason the Cavs didn't make the finals and second time with him. They improved every year after they made the finals, LeBron just couldn't carry them again.

And like I said all along, it's not about the fact that he left for me. I hadn't followed the NBA in years before LeBron and could not have cared less about the Cavs. So I'm not a Cavs fan who had his heart torn out. I was just a guy who thought LeBron was a guy who seemed to break the stereotypes about typical NBA stars. He was well-spoken and seemed down to earth. He didn't seem like an ego-maniac. So creating a circus around himself destroyed that perception. Even if he'd stayed, I was going to have a tough time rooting for him anymore. Dan Gilbert went over the top, but the word narcissist certainly applies.

With a max contract and endorsements, LeBron makes 20+ million a year after taxes (even more than that since there are no state income taxes in Florida). On top of that, he's already pulled down over a 100 million post taxes over the last seven years. He could have donated two and half million to Boy's and Girl's Clubs of America and not even missed it. He didn't need to create an hour long self-love-fest to make a big donation. You're darn right I wouldn't have done the same thing in his shoes. I have more class and integrity than that. I would have felt that the attention should be focused on the three of us (myself, Bosh, and Wade) coming together to win championships. Instead, he made it about himself, hoisting himself on a pedestal above his two new teammates. Like I've said already, that's just not who I thought LeBron was. If he hadn't created a whole circus around himself, I would be sitting here praising him for wanting to team up with two other great players. I would be excited to see if three stars could co-exist in today's NBA. I still like Bosh and Wade, they handled themselves well through all of this.

Do you think Gilbert's letter to the Cleveland fans can posted here? Guaranteeing a championship before King James will win one and saying they can take it to the bank is certainly going out on a limb. Not even Joe Namath went that far out.

Gilbert has been fined $100,000 by the league. Is this finally the end?

should have never opened up his mouth to begin with ... or he could have said it with better language ... chris bosh gave up on the raps mlse didnt go a trashing him and if they did they didnt do it to the public ... he should know better as an owner ... good for the league ...