Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

concreteveins

Power Play Problems

PP Vote   125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the problem with the Canadiens PP?

• Missing a big shot.
    • Missing a big body in the blue ice.
    • Missing Kovalev's half board magic.
    • Need a new system.
    • Missing a work ethic.
    • There is nothin wrong. They still get as many chances.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

270 posts in this topic

Power Play problems? what Power Play problems? Philly's? :D

I just checked NHL.com, I don't know how up to date the info is but according to the site we are now 17th with the PP. We are climbing and climbing. That is a good sign.

Schneider definetly a good pick up and all the people that wanted Gainey fired for trading for him are eating there words now.

oh and just to add to what the topic is....I think having a veteran on the PP like schneider to go along side with Markov is a huge boost. Finally found someone who can take the one timer from Markov or set up the one timer. Having the 2 back there now really opens up the options and ups the difficulty level on coverage on teams with the PK.

QUOTE (paul_b @ Feb 28 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just checked NHL.com, I don't know how up to date the info is but according to the site we are now 17th with the PP. We are climbing and climbing. That is a good sign.

Schneider definitely a good pick up and all the people that wanted Gainey fired for trading for him are eating there words now.

Yes, clicking along at like 50% since the arrival of Schneider does vault you up pretty quickly. The old PP doesn't matter anymore. As long as it is clicking now, and in the future (play-offs, in particular), that's all that matters.

PK looked very good lat night too, against one of the better PP's, Philly.

Yes, clicking along at like 50% since the arrival of Schneider does vault you up pretty quickly. The old PP doesn't matter anymore. As long as it is clicking now, and in the future (play-offs, in particular), that's all that matters.

PK looked very good lat night too, against one of the better PP's, Philly.

Definetly!! Pk looked great!!

I think it just helps having that extra threat on the blue line so it opens up the rest of the players also to do things because now the other team on the PK has to guard another player on the point.

stretches out the oppositions PK, therefore, opening ours and allowing us to create chances.

I agree. Our PP was broken. We should have re-signed Streit. But at least BG landed Schneider to help with the stretch run and playoffs. More time and space is created with a big shot on the point. Including some nice goals for Schneider on the PP.

This is why Montreal should go after Kaberle or Bouwmeester or Ohlund at the trade deadline. These type of players would give our team two top PP units plus our overall defence would be upgraded close to the Red Wings / Sharks level. Of course salary cap and who goes the other way make this easy to say then actually do.

I agree. Our PP was broken. We should have re-signed Streit. But at least BG landed Schneider to help with the stretch run and playoffs. More time and space is created with a big shot on the point. Including some nice goals for Schneider on the PP.

This is why Montreal should go after Kaberle or Bouwmeester or Ohlund at the trade deadline. These type of players would give our team two top PP units plus our overall defence would be upgraded close to the Red Wings / Sharks level. Of course salary cap and who goes the other way make this easy to say then actually do.

If we go after one of the above mentioned I would much rather see us get them in the summer time rather then give away important pieces to the future of the team for a player who will be a UFA.

That confidence came with Schneider.

Yeah it just so happens that our powerplay got better when we acquired Schneider thats no coincidence.

Whether you agree with brining Schneider in or not, the truth is, is that he has always been a good defencemen and he can do it all. He isn't as young as he used to be, but i can see him still contributing for a couple more years.

My only issue is his salary, what if we want him to stay. Would he take a home town discount?

QUOTE (paul_b @ Feb 28 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether you agree with brining Schneider in or not, the truth is, is that he has always been a good defencemen and he can do it all. He isn't as young as he used to be, but i can see him still contributing for a couple more years.

My only issue is his salary, what if we want him to stay. Would he take a home town discount?

I'm pretty sure he will sign a 5mil/yr (or less) 2 years contract with us, esp if he continues to do this great this remaining season. When you are doing well, Montreal is the city you want to play for.

jarvis makes it feel like we have to take our skates off, and i'm not blaming him, but the pressure of so many ex-habs makes the team feel like its the end of the road. its like a branded calf syndrome- even though it might be the less cruel freeze brand.

17th in pp

9th in pk

That averages out to (17+9)/2 = 13th, which isn't bad. Surprisingly so ...

Maybe SK coming back will help the PP ? He was put on the point for a few games.. At that time, he was told nonstop to shoot more often; that's what he did while being on the PP point, and scored a few times. He was then removed from there .. for some unknown reason O_o

I would say, at this point, it's just a complete breakdown of team-identity. Everything has gone wrong this season, and I think the powerplay reflects an inability of our players to see each other clearly. No one is concentrating or putting in the proper effort to know what to do. Everyone is playing the powerplay like they know it will be a failure. Hopefully something... Anything, can get the boys (and the few men) on this team back on track. When that happens, we will see it reflected in the man-advantage! :)

They took away Darth Vaders music.Bring that back and the power play is solved.