Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

concreteveins

Power Play Problems

PP Vote   125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the problem with the Canadiens PP?

• Missing a big shot.
    • Missing a big body in the blue ice.
    • Missing Kovalev's half board magic.
    • Need a new system.
    • Missing a work ethic.
    • There is nothin wrong. They still get as many chances.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

270 posts in this topic

I think they just need to get the right players in the right positions.

Lang in front of the net as hes pretty good at getting shots off and picking up garbage

Tanguay on the left side

Andrei K on the right side

Markov on the left point

Kovalev on the right point

That should yeild some results. Unfortunately with the confidence level so low I think it will be tuff for the players to dig their way out of the hole they have dug for themselves.

The PP started going south in last year's playoffs, has nothing to do with Streit.

Bruins scouting cracked our system, and beat it. The word got out and that system is now dead. They took too long to develop a new system and now they have no confidence.

Notice how the best PP effort against Washington was by the 4th line. They have no confidence issues, they're just having fun.

thats because they were not afraid to get their noses dirty and go for the net ;)

I can't remember what game it was now but A LONG time ago we had a PP chance and Andrei Kostitsyn was in front of the goalie and (gasp) we scored ebcause someone shot the puck and Andrei screened the goalie. Did we do that again? nope. why not? no one wanted to screen the goalie <_<

The one big failing we have on our PP right now, is we are consistently trying to pass. Other teams know this, and block the passing lanes. How many giveaways do we have on the PP? A ton, that I know.

I forget which coach said it, but he summed it up best : "When the PP is struggling, it's best to go back to basics and just start shooting the puck at the net whenever possible"

The Canadiens NEED to start doing this. Who cares if it's pretty. Who cares if it's successful, just start firing the puck ... with a man advantage it means you have one extra player on the ice to get to the rebound if any.

They had how many PP's against Washington the other night? Tampa Bay before that? And on many of them I recall the announcers stating the Habs getting zero or 1-2 shots. That's abyssmal.

JUST START SHOOTING FOR PETE'S SAKE!

You know what I hate about our PP right now. Is the inability to work the puck down low, and crash the goal-mouth. We are not making teams play honestly against us. They cover the points, and they cover Kovalev. Done, finished, what else is there? Nothing because we seem to be afraid to go down low with the puck and crash the net looking for garbage. Even if guys are in front, it's for a poorly placed point shot that is either blocked or shot wide. Time to start working the puck low (Oh, I miss Koivu) and cramming the crease full of bodies looking for garbage to bang in.

You know what I hate about our PP right now. Is the inability to work the puck down low, and crash the goal-mouth. We are not making teams play honestly against us.

Bingo.

Unfortunately we cant go back in time, but if we could & had either souray or streit on the blueline, i am still not convinced we'd be doing much better in the PP department right now. We have several issues with the system right now & until those are solved, you could have souray & macinnis back there & it wouldnt make a huge impact. Sure we might be 20th instead of 28th - but until we figure out ALL the issues, we wont crack the top 10 in effectiveness.

I forget which coach said it, but he summed it up best : "When the PP is struggling, it's best to go back to basics and just start shooting the puck at the net whenever possible"

The Canadiens NEED to start doing this. Who cares if it's pretty. Who cares if it's successful, just start firing the puck ... with a man advantage it means you have one extra player on the ice to get to the rebound if any.

In the last 2 games, Ive seen them starting to do this. Also, I hope the recent success of D'Agostini tells the other players something. Why is he scoring? because every time he touches the puck he SHOOTS!!! lol. I thought he was going to shoot from the blueline the other day! :P

Honestly though, 100 passes on a powerplay, no matter how pretty - wont help. Heck how many times have we seen tick tack toe passes on the PP lately only to end with Lang or higgins missing the empty net - or kovalev hitting the post?

PUT IT ON NET. Good things will happen. ;)

Thing is, just shooting pucks from any angle won't help either. That's what Plekanec does on the PP and it drives me nuts. You're not going to score shooting from almost below the goal line.

We have to keep our feet moving, rotating the box to open up shooting lanes or overloads down low.

We have to profit from that space by taking many quality shots.

We have to do a better job of gaining the zone quickly and setting up the box quickly.

We have to win individual puck battles.

We have to support each other by playing like a five-man unit (Ricochet's post got to this problem very well).

We have to pay the price in front of the net.

We have to bury those open nets instead of whiffing, shooting wide, or hitting goalposts.

We need a better powerplay, plain and simple.

With out a decent PP, they will continue to run/slash/stick/interfer us..

We are too small of a team not to have a decent pp..

If it doesnt pick up. We are not going to win

I agree with you, " WE WILL NOT WIN GAMES ".

I think they just need to get the right players in the right positions.

Lang in front of the net as hes pretty good at getting shots off and picking up garbage

Tanguay on the left side

Andrei K on the right side

Markov on the left point

Kovalev on the right point

That should yeild some results. Unfortunately with the confidence level so low I think it will be tuff for the players to dig their way out of the hole they have dug for themselves.

I think it should be like this:

Left point = Markov

Right point = Andrei K.

Right side = Tanguay

Left side = Kovalev

In front of the net = Latendresse

at this rate we perhaps should keep the same lines, but alternate systems from PP to PP, even for the 4th line. lol

Maybe the best thing to do is simply forget the powerplay and play like it is 5 on 5 and trying to score off the rush.

I believe there is a bonus in doing this... there would be no need to juggle the lines after the fact because some players are tired after the powerplay. This IMO would help in building chemistry as players remain with their respective linemates for most of the game (excluding the PK of course).

The PP started going south in last year's playoffs, has nothing to do with Streit.

Bruins scouting cracked our system, and beat it. The word got out and that system is now dead. They took too long to develop a new system and now they have no confidence.

Notice how the best PP effort against Washington was by the 4th line. They have no confidence issues, they're just having fun.

Could you tell me why Streit has 15 PP = 1st defenseman in the league and 9th in overall and he is playing with the worst team. Now we can say that he is one of the best quarterback in the NHL.

Could you tell me why Streit has 15 PP = 1st defenseman in the league and 9th in overall and he is playing with the worst team. Now we can say that he is one of the best quarterback in the NHL.

The 2 arent mutually exclusive though. I would argue that both streit and souray are two of the premiere quarterbacks in the league - but so is markov. So could Hamrlik be (if we was used as such).

The point is that many of us feel that even if streit (or souray) was here, we would STILL be having problems. Its not just the shot from the back end that is missing - its kovalev's magic, its too many passes & not enough shots etc etc etc.

Streit or Souray would help, but the way this PP is playing right now we'd be lucky to crack the top 10 in the league even with streit AND souray on our blueline.

It seems to me to be a morbid desire to make the wrong play !!!

They always over pass, they always shoot at the wrong time, they always ignore great opportunities to shoot, and they seem to miss everytime they do do it right !!! Clear up the mass confusion and then it would be easier to figure things out personell wise.

They always over pass, they always shoot at the wrong time, they always ignore great opportunities to shoot, and they seem to miss everytime they do do it right !!! Clear up the mass confusion and then it would be easier to figure things out personell wise.

Good point. They have an allergy to making the right play at the right time. Also, they don't move their feet. When you don't rotate the box, it's easy to defend against your power play.

Plekanec is the current king of this, tonight only further enforced this. :rolleyes:

When Plekanec attacks on the penalty kill he should just shoot the puck.

He has no chance of scoring this way, but if he shoots the puck there can be either a rebound or the goalie freezes the play and then there's a faceoff in the enemy zone.

We really haven't gotten to see Kovalev on the point much the last two games, but he looks more comfortable taking the one timer on the right side then any of the other players I've seen on this current team. I don't think Markov is so comfortable there and he should be playing on the left side where he can do the most damage. Kovy should be shooting the puck. When he was on the lift side tonight he made some soft passes that could have lead to odd man rush against. If you are going to put him on the point do it in a shooting capacity IMO.

After last nights game, our problem is getting the PP opportunity.

We keep saying it's time to turn things around, bu the sand is slowly running out in the hour glass.

Either make a move and get us someone who can put a puck in the net or throw in the towel and tell the city you've given up. We're on track to have an embarrassing 100th year celebration.

The problem is NOT missing a big shot, the problem is blaming the missing big shot.

The team has failed to innovate. They float on the outside hoping to make the perfect pass across the seam or to set-up the one timer that NEVER hits the net. We have good skill just need more movement and simple plays. Cycle, shoot and skate like you are 16 years old again when crashing the crease. It's not as complicated as everybody says. You have a man advantage but if all 5 guys stand still around the outside and make the same play a hundred times over, you give up that advantage.

Most teams play a box. Put a trigger man like D'Agostini or Andrei kostitsyn right in the high slot, place another man to roam from corner to corner, and have the three guys in a triangle up top constantly moving and changing their shooting angles but ACTUALLY shooting and here's a novel idea HIT THE FREAKING NET, then go after the REBOUND!!!!!

It is really hard to believe we are as bad as we are on the PP when watching them play. If you watch only one game, it seems as though we could still be considered a good PP team. We make great passes, Cross-Ice passes, semi-rotational between the D and the half-board forward etc,. However, the overpassing trend is horrendous and becomes apparent after watching the same cross-crease pass go careaning out of the zone and ruin all momentum game after game.

I truly doubt that the Big Shot is what we are missing, what we are missing is simply A Shot. We need someone that can hit the net consistently. Markov looks for the pass so many times before he opts to shoot that a D-man is always in his shooting lane and whomever the other point man is can rarely hit the net (aside from Breezer atleast!). To add to this, is that our forwards seem unable to put a decent shot on net.

Possibly the most annoying thing on our powerplay (or atleast a close second to the over passing) are the amount of poor choice shots that miss everything and ring their way along the boards out of the zone. The subsequent efforts to regain the zone are painful to watch, either kovalev trying to be the whole team and loosing the puck or a poor dump attempt.

As soon as the Habs revert to "Vertigo" as their goal song, the powerplay will come to life. The "new ghosts" at the Bell Centre simply prefer this song. Think....two years of Vertigo as the goal song...two years of a killer PP. Changed the song, now look where we are. (If you actually believe this, I've got some Saskatchewan beach-front I'm looking to unload at a really great price.) BRING BACK VERTIGO!!!!!!! (And Diane the "Organ Lady" at the same time).

Merry Christmas and GO HABS GO!

KG from O-Town

Well, we're definitely not out of the woods, but it was nice to see a night where the power play was at 20% efficiency. I still want them to shoot more often, though. We had a couple of PPs in the middle of the game that were wasted because we kept passing the puck looking for the perfect play instead of getting lots of pucks on net and fighting for the rebounds (which is how Lats scored his PP goal, incidentally).

Well, we're definitely not out of the woods, but it was nice to see a night where the power play was at 20% efficiency. I still want them to shoot more often, though. We had a couple of PPs in the middle of the game that were wasted because we kept passing the puck looking for the perfect play instead of getting lots of pucks on net and fighting for the rebounds (which is how Lats scored his PP goal, incidentally).

Well the good thing is that Carbo is finally putting a big body in front of the net which is something we've been saying for a while now. Good things will happen if he continues putting Lats or even Begin or Dags in front of the net.

Personally I like the fact that they are not known as a PP team. I love the fact that they can get the job done, in regulation with full strength goals. But, and of course there is always a "but". I think they try to way too fancy, too cute on the PP. I understand it's not easy to score on a PP because of all the traffic in front of the net. But, the PP is where you'll find most of the garbage goals anyway. I don't understand why they just don't fire at the net. I've heard of making "1" too many passes but, 2 or 3?? Just fire for gods sake. Why do the Canadiens feel like they are the only team that has to make it look pretty? JUST SHOOT!!!

Sometimes you see them with a clear shot and it's like they're going to take a picture before they shoot. Or, making sure the goaling is ready and in position before they shoot. These people are trained and payed to make fast and accurate calculations. Not me, or us. We just fund them to make it happen.

They don't practice it enough.

They just can't be.