Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

concreteveins

Power Play Problems

PP Vote   125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the problem with the Canadiens PP?

• Missing a big shot.
    • Missing a big body in the blue ice.
    • Missing Kovalev's half board magic.
    • Need a new system.
    • Missing a work ethic.
    • There is nothin wrong. They still get as many chances.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

270 posts in this topic

I hear that Jay Bouwmeester is a free agent and has hard time signing a long term contract with the Florida Panthers and i thinkg Mr.Gainey should start trying to get his hands on Jay Bouwmeester. If i were Gainey i would trade: Jaroslav Halak + Chris Higgins vs Jay Bouwmeester + 2nd round pick and call up Max Pacioretty and Marc Denis to replace Halak as a backup of Carey Price, and Pacioretty to replace Higgins. What do you guys thinks??

The Line up would be:

Paciorrety Koivu Tanguay

A.kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev

Latendresse Lang Kostitsyn

Begin Lapierre Kostopoulos

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Bouwmeester

Bouillon Gorges

Price-Denis

I'm left to say trade, no no wait. GET RID OF anyone on this team and put JB on and you'll make a difference. The team is stale, it needs some life. It's got no energy, no pizazz. Just a bunch of Euro's skating around.

I'm left to say trade, no no wait. GET RID OF anyone on this team and put JB on and you'll make a difference. The team is stale, it needs some life. It's got no energy, no pizazz. Just a bunch of Euro's skating around.

Was it a joke ? Hope so. Bouwmeester isn't exactly the most '' caring '' of all himself.

I hear that Jay Bouwmeester is a free agent and has hard time signing a long term contract with the Florida Panthers and i thinkg Mr.Gainey should start trying to get his hands on Jay Bouwmeester. If i were Gainey i would trade: Jaroslav Halak + Chris Higgins vs Jay Bouwmeester + 2nd round pick and call up Max Pacioretty and Marc Denis to replace Halak as a backup of Carey Price, and Pacioretty to replace Higgins. What do you guys thinks??

The Line up would be:

Paciorrety Koivu Tanguay

A.kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev

Latendresse Lang Kostitsyn

Begin Lapierre Kostopoulos

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Bouwmeester

Bouillon Gorges

Price-Denis

Pacioretty isn't NHL-ready. D'Agostini is. Where is D'Agostini ?

They are trying too much to do the perfect play and from experience last year the team now that...If you don't shot you don't score...They need more shot on net and have that big guy in front of the net to disturb the other goalie just like other teams do to our goalies...Man they even do more how many time have you seen Price or Halak get hit in front of the net...We need a Chris Nilan to protect our goalie....lol

Sergei Kostitsyn and Josh Gorges at the right point on 1st and 2nd unit may have solved our power play problems.

We're apparently 5/17 in the last 3 games. If in the next 20 tries we get 4+ goals then we should have solved our weakest aspect, which would be great.

I think we are missing that big shot from the point...and its not because we use the point that much, but it opens space for Kovalev to work from the side. We are really the only team that works our powerplays from the side and not from the point.

It's just that we don't have the big shot from the point, so teams can now focus completely on Kovy and shut him down.

constant attempting of passes and shots that arent there

constant attempting of passes and shots that arent there

They pass when they should have shot. Then they shoot when there is absolutely nothing there and it gets blocked. Zone gets cleared...

a big shot spreads things out a bit more, creates more opportunties

ive been liking 74 on the point, he can let it go

back to its old self tonight, feel like ripping your eyes out watching it

I'm no coach and certainly no real expert on the game but it seems simple to me sitting in the recliner at home. More pucks to the net and more bodies to the net. I know we don't have that shot from the point this year but the shot doesn't necessarily have to come from the point just to get pucks on the net. Get the shots to the net and hopefully the bodies that are going there too will screen the goalie and be there to scoop up any potential rebounds and get some not-so-pretty goals. Bottom line is you're not going to score unless you get shots on goal. And on a powerplay with your own guys driving to the net and the opposing team's defenders collapsing down low, throwing the puck in there may not be such a bad idea since you never know when it will take a crazy bounce with all that traffic around and end up in the back of the net.

true look @ the last pp goal we scored from kovy he passed it to tanguay, the pass never got to him and still ended in the back of the net..

They pass when they should have shot. Then they shoot when there is absolutely nothing there and it gets blocked. Zone gets cleared...
Kravchenko is absolutely correct... all these cries for the PP to shoot more ignores the fact that often there isn't a clear shot, and therefore, attempting the shot is the wrong option... a shot from the point that gets blocked usually ends up going down to the Habs end on a breakaway or odd-man rush...

maybe opposition PKs are now trying to get just close enough to the puck handler asap to deny the shot, but often don't make a direct play against him, instead using the PK box to close off most of the passing lanes... and the Habs PP doesn't seem to be adjusting which makes it much easier to defend... they aren't skating to open scoring areas quick enough, by the time they do, the puck handler often can no longer make that pass...

are they afraid of making an error that will result in a SH scoring chance, and as a result of the hesitation, they severely limit their own PP options?...

I still say they should still do some PP practice. It likely would help alot. They can't be practicing it at all. <_<

(Also, I'd suggest not giving the puck to a stick handling goalie like Smith of TBay --he just shoots it right down the ice then; they musta done that a half dozen times last night :blink: )

somebody once said that the definition of insanity, is repeating the same thing,

over and over again, and expecting different results.

imo, we need to be doing any number

of things to change the pp, bodies in front, shoot from the point.

we had three pp's in a row last nite, and had zero shots on goal.

that in itself is insanity !!!

to just throw the puck around and around aimlessly........

oh well, rant almost over... i would change up some of the pp units for one...

maybe the BIG guns could use some time sitting and watching, it might help them

figure out some new wrinkles, see the pp from a different perspective. i mean,

how could it hurt if we're going 6 mins. of pp time with ZERO shots on goal.............???

I think we are missing that big shot from the point...and its not because we use the point that much, but it opens space for Kovalev to work from the side. We are really the only team that works our powerplays from the side and not from the point.

It's just that we don't have the big shot from the point, so teams can now focus completely on Kovy and shut him down.

I beleive that Yannick Weber is going to get an opportunity to use his cannonating shot on our power play. This should make it easier for Doug Jarvis to tune up the power play, and give the opposition sleepless nights. Hopefully that will help Carbo get leads that will allow, more icetime for the younger players and callups so they garner some experience at the NHL level.

I might be crazy but I think Weber can fix our #1 PP unit problems. When Koivu, Tanguay, and Higgins are back the 2nd PP unit will be better.

Souray has a huge shot. Streit has a very good slap shot. Weber slap shot (102 mph) is more like Souray. I think that Weber has the bonus that he moves along the blueline like Streit also does before be releases the big shot. As soon as there is a big shot from the point the ability to score on the back door with Markov and front door with Pleks and A.Kostitsyn become effective. But the biggest benefit will be for Kovalev. With a big shot from the point it will be impossible to cover Kovalev like the PK has all year.

Weber leads the Bull Dogs defence in scoring. Weber only recently was put on the PP where he has been awesome blasting shots for goals and easy rebound goals. Those rebound goals could be Pleks, A.Kostitsyn, Latendresse, and Lang. I would be just as happy if the puck went in like it did for Souray two years ago.

I would not be shocked if Weber plays 90 seconds of the PP or until he scores. Weber should be fresh as I expect he will only play on PP or when Montreal is leading by 2 or more goals.

Some free wings would be nice. With a good power play there will be more free wings!!

Just imagine how good Montreal will be if the PP clicks at more then 20% (my goal is 25% as it was the last two seasons), 5 on 5 scoring keeps clicking, and Price keeps allowing 2 GAA.

Zero shots in 6 minutes of PP against the Bolts. That is not acceptable.

Tonight the PP could have made a big difference. They are not shooting the puck enough and they are making poor decision when trying to setup. Many times there is a loose puck battle along the boards and there is one Hab to two defenders who strip him and put the puck down the ice. The passing through the neutral zone is poor so Kovalelv usually has to carry the puck into the offensive zone. Lots of shots are being blocked when they finally get one off. In generally they just need to get setup and take shots more quickkly. They also need to support eachother better on the ice and work as a team.

Tonight the PP could have made a big difference. They are not shooting the puck enough and they are making poor decision when trying to setup. Many times there is a loose puck battle along the boards and there is one Hab to two defenders who strip him and put the puck down the ice. The passing through the neutral zone is poor so Kovalelv usually has to carry the puck into the offensive zone. Lots of shots are being blocked when they finally get one off. In generally they just need to get setup and take shots more quickkly. They also need to support eachother better on the ice and work as a team.

there shouldnt be any passing in the neutral zone because they cant complete 1 foot passes, it should be hammered in and retrieved with alittle work

0-4 on the PP. Is broken a good enough term for the team that had the best PP two years in a row and now can only score on the PP once every 4 or 5 games?

Put Weber on the PP. I think that Begin is the logical player to sit out to make room for Weber so Weber can play on the 4th line. Although Brisebois might be a close 2nd given his lack of offensive production, poor decision making regarding pinching, and his brutal defensive zone skill (always had this flaw to his game). Use 5 defencemen for the entire game except the PP when Weber would play 60 to 90 seconds of the PP.

BG or Carbo needs to try Weber or make a trade as our PP is costing our team games. The running joke should be refuse the PP as Montreal is better 5 on 5 at scoring.

I think they like the feel of the puck on their stick. They don't want to shoot it they just want to play with it. What's wrong they only brought one stick with them and they are afraid to break it. Kovalev moves around then gets the point open for a shot and they still won't shoot it. Then I almost puke when I see a shoot in, they shoot it soft enough for the goalie to stop it and play it out of the zone, or they shoot it in the opposite corner where the forcheckers are going.

How much problem can it be to identify these problems. As a pro player can't they see this for themselves. Just when I thought they may have it turned around on the powerplay, we go back in the tank and forget everything that was successful for them. I get so frustrated just watching the PP, I can only imagine what the coaching staff is going through. Pure Misery.