The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

St. Louis Is One Ticked Off Lightning

Bourne

You have to wonder how much longer Tampa Bay management can stand still before making another major shakeup when Martin St. Louis loses it following a 4-3 loss to the mediocre Atlanta Thrashers.

The first was when head coach Barry Melrose was dumped 16 games into the schedule. That move came from the top. But when St. Louis, who's always careful with his words talks, somebody up there is certain to listen - particularly since the loss was Tampa's 17th in their last 19 games. One victory, you'll remember, was against the Canadiens at the Bell Centre.

"It's plain and simple," St. Louis said, "there's not enough guys that want to make a difference, they're clock killers, that's all it is. I'm (expletive deleted) fed up. I don't think there's enough guys who really want to win. Yeah, we say the right things, but (expletive deleted) that," St. Louis fumed.

"What's winning?" he added. "It's being aware of every flipping play that matters, especially now, when you're in a hole. When you're six or seven games over .500 and everything is rosy, you can make mistakes. It happens, you can live with it. But right now, when we're in the situation we are, it's embarrassing."

St. Louis has the support of head coach Rick Tocchet, who probably will have to pay the price for his team's miserable performance. "The coaching staff is running out of answers. I feel sorry for our fans.

"It seems any time there is a little adversity or it's 1-1, guys freeze up, their legs don't go," Tocchet told the Tampa Tribune's Erik Erlendsson. "They are scared to win a battle, and instead of going to the front lines and saying 'I'll take it,' they instead fall behind, let somebody else do it and hope they don't get noticed."

So now, taking all of the above into account, can somebody explain to me how the Lightning can go into Pittsburgh on Wednesday, hold them to 15 shots and shut them down 2-0? On the other hand, you've gotta like Sidney Crosby's take on the outcome, during which Evgeni Malkin's nine-game points streak came to an end and Crosby didn't have a shot: "There's not much to take out of this game, as far as positives."

Source: http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...70-ebd8c005af7b

It makes me wonder, we may want to deal for him. It could be an absolute steal since he apparently is fed up with the team.

Begin

Dandelault

Kostopoulos

2nd round pick 2009

for

St. Louis

No offense, but that wouldn't get you an autographed St Louis stick. I'd go more for something like:

Higgins

Bouillion

Georges

for St. Louis

Line post trade (Injury free):

A. Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Kovalev

Tanguay, Koivu, St. Louis

D'Agostini, Lang, S. Kostitsyn

Latendrsse, Lapierre, Laraque

Markov, Komisarek

Hamrlik, O'Byrne

Weber, Dandenault

Price

Halak

Begin

Dandelault

Kostopoulos

2nd round pick 2009

for

St. Louis

Some posters feel you wouldn't get an autographed stick for those players, I disagree. I think that is exactly what Tampa could use right now. They need warriors and someone who will stand up in the dressing room and call out the slackers. Tampa has loads of scoring potential, but as Tocchet said, guys are afraid to battle. With Begin and Kosto, you will get players leading by example, and a veteran voice from Dandy. In desperate times, teams can make desperate moves. I just don't think the Habs need a St. Louis, Vinny yes, but not Marty.

Begin

Dandelault

Kostopoulos

2nd round pick 2009

for

St. Louis

Some posters feel you wouldn't get an autographed stick for those players, I disagree. I think that is exactly what Tampa could use right now. They need warriors and someone who will stand up in the dressing room and call out the slackers. Tampa has loads of scoring potential, but as Tocchet said, guys are afraid to battle. With Begin and Kosto, you will get players leading by example, and a veteran voice from Dandy. In desperate times, teams can make desperate moves. I just don't think the Habs need a St. Louis, Vinny yes, but not Marty.
you think Tampa Bay could use three role players, all of whom will be Unrestricted Free Agents at the end of the season, but none of whom could be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman, and a draft pick likely in the low-to-mid 50s, in exchange for one of the best offensive players in the league?...

and just makes Tampa Bay 'desperate' enough to do this? the utter failing of a team that finished last in the league last year and which many hockey people felt would be lucky just to make the playoffs this season?... they would trade one of their former 'Big 3' for nothing that would help them next year or likely the next two seasons after, just to save this season? to achieve what? at best, to squeak into the playoffs?...

not at all likely... you don't re-build by trading for UFAs...

I will agree with you,St.Louis does certaintly play the game with heart and as we are seeing with him being so upset and fed up, we come to know this as passion for the game,which he also has.

Hey! A fellow Saint Johner! How's it going?

Passion for the game is so hard to come by with all the rock star money and egos within the game today. I'd take a St. Louis over quite a few guys out there these days.

Archived