Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DA_Champion

Preference: Early Playoff Exit Or Better Draft Pick?

59 posts in this topic

Well, to make the playoffs the Habs will need to find their game and play pretty solid meaning if they get there a possibility of an upset exists.

I still take playoffs.

If the difference of a measly 2 points or whatever is what keeps the president from claiming changes need to be made, its clear the owner made a mistake in hiring a guy who should be able to evaluate hockey and hockey GM's, and therefore the problems stems higher than Gainey if thats the case.

All too true, but that's my assessment of the situation. Boivin's a money guy, he reckons things purely from a money/language perspective. Lost revenue from no playoffs = major changes. First round of playoffs revenue = maybe change, maybe not.

....you dont play through a grueling 6 month 82 game season for a draft pick, you go through it with hopes of being in the stanley cup tournament... thats what its all about

Good point. Now tell it to the team, coaches, and management.

At this point, after not gathering any additional draft choices at this year's draft, I would be more in favor of making the post-season. You never know what could happen once you get in. ;)

I'd take the playoffs at this point, they could have started this slide in Novembre and we would have had a real race with the Islanders for Tavares.

Once we're in though anything can happen. The Bruins will be tough but we can beat them.

All too true, but that's my assessment of the situation. Boivin's a money guy, he reckons things purely from a money/language perspective. Lost revenue from no playoffs = major changes. First round of playoffs revenue = maybe change, maybe not.

Maybe hes a money guy, but if he lives and dies by that logic hes a retarded money guy, if he believes the team could have gotten farther in the playoffs, then its still lost revenue.

Maybe hes a money guy, but if he lives and dies by that logic hes a retarded money guy, if he believes the team could have gotten farther in the playoffs, then its still lost revenue.

Yeah, I won't disagree. Not the soundest business principle IMO. But that's my take on Boivin.

There's the money factor, but there's also the significant psychological factor of missing the playoffs, especially in our Centennial.

There's the money factor, but there's also the significant psychological factor of missing the playoffs, especially in our Centennial.

I don't think Boivin cares a lick about the psychological factor, except insofar as it affects the team's finances. So if, for example, season ticket sales go down next year, he'll sit up and take notice. Otherwise, the Habs are a nice profitable business. The Bell Center is packed to see a team that hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs in years. Money rolls in, merchandise moves, all is well. Missing the playoffs, however, costs the team playoff revenue, and may cost the team more if fans show their displeasure by not forking out cash to see the games. This is the only way to get Boivin to respond.

how about this, we have a bunch of kids and a bunch of free agents. even if we get bounced in 4 strait im still very interested to see whos gonna show up in those 4 games. could help a lot in deciding who to keep and also give a good glimpse at what the kids can do under pressure

I don't think Boivin cares a lick about the psychological factor, except insofar as it affects the team's finances. So if, for example, season ticket sales go down next year, he'll sit up and take notice. Otherwise, the Habs are a nice profitable business. The Bell Center is packed to see a team that hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs in years. Money rolls in, merchandise moves, all is well. Missing the playoffs, however, costs the team playoff revenue, and may cost the team more if fans show their displeasure by not forking out cash to see the games. This is the only way to get Boivin to respond.

Yes BUT while losing may not cause a drastic loss of fanbase, winning will cause a boost in fanbase. It will create more league-wide hype, there will be more California Habs fans so to speak. More jersey sales, more TV revenue etc.

Good point. Now tell it to the team, coaches, and management.

But this year was not grueling for the players. :lol: Did you see them play.

I agree with Greame. I think you are a little too cynical in your evaluation of Boivin

Is it really the Stanley Cup play offs if the Habs don't play the Bruins??? I called it in another thread. Once the play offs start it is a whole different game. I can see upsetting the beantowners. The teams have met in the play offs 31 times and the Habs have ousted the ***** 24 times.

Besides I want to see Don Cherry lose it. Can you imagine? Yet again, the number 1 Bruins fall to the Canadiens. Our too soft Euro centered Habs beating the big bad bruins could send him over the edge (he ain't that far from it anyway :P)

Is it really the Stanley Cup play offs if the Habs don't play the Bruins??? I called it in another thread. Once the play offs start it is a whole different game. I can see upsetting the beantowners. The teams have met in the play offs 31 times and the Habs have ousted the ***** 24 times.

Besides I want to see Don Cherry lose it. Can you imagine? Yet again, the number 1 Bruins fall to the Canadiens. Our too soft Euro centered Habs beating the big bad bruins could send him over the edge (he ain't that far from it anyway :P)

That made me laugh.......thanks!

:lol:

playoffs for sure i wont watch the playoffs unless the habs are in it. let the scouts find the gems in the middle rounds thats what they get paid the big bucks for.

playoffs for sure i wont watch the playoffs unless the habs are in it. let the scouts find the gems in the middle rounds thats what they get paid the big bucks for.

good post.

If the habs make it to the stanley cup finals im going to dye my hair red,white and blue and wear a habs jersey to school after a win. ;)

Yes BUT while losing may not cause a drastic loss of fanbase, winning will cause a boost in fanbase. It will create more league-wide hype, there will be more California Habs fans so to speak. More jersey sales, more TV revenue etc.

Merch will definitely spike if we're more successful. But the team is already financially successful. I think it's a secondary concern for him. If he cared about winning even as much as he cared about maintaining current profit levels, he wouldn't have publicly talked about hiring francophone coaches and acquiring francophone players when he knows damn well that's the GM's ballpark. He wanted to reassure the fanbase, regardless of how poorly it reflected on Gainey.

Boivin's strategy IMO seems to be based on keeping the existing fanbase happy.

Merch will definitely spike if we're more successful. But the team is already financially successful. I think it's a secondary concern for him. If he cared about winning even as much as he cared about maintaining current profit levels, he wouldn't have publicly talked about hiring francophone coaches and acquiring francophone players when he knows damn well that's the GM's ballpark. He wanted to reassure the fanbase, regardless of how poorly it reflected on Gainey.

Boivin's strategy IMO seems to be based on keeping the existing fanbase happy.

Obviously because primary fanbase>secondary fanbase.

However I don't buy the ***** that has flown out of places like Toronto, where they say, "They don't care about winning", thats nonsense, if they care about money they better damn know that winning=revenue.

However I don't buy the ***** that has flown out of places like Toronto, where they say, "They don't care about winning", thats nonsense, if they care about money they better damn know that winning=revenue.

I think you're reading too much into the language, which can verge on the hyperbolic. It's not that MLSE doesn't care about winning. It's that the Leafs make so much money that ownership doesn't have to care enough.

Another way in which we're (shudder) similar to Toronto is our preoccupation with signing depth players to ensure we don't bottom out in the standings. Never too low, but also never too high. Finishing at the bottom for one season might land us a top-five pick around which we could build, but Habs brass are too scared of displeasing the fanbase.

So it's not that either org doesn't care about winning. They just don't care enough.

People talking of us meeting the Bruins in the quarter finals lol, there is a ton of work to be done in these last 9 games for that to happen

and even if it does happen i dont foresee us having much left in the tank for them after being in a dogfight for a whole month prior

but you have to make the tournament and go from there....

I think you're reading too much into the language, which can verge on the hyperbolic. It's not that MLSE doesn't care about winning. It's that the Leafs make so much money that ownership doesn't have to care enough.

Another way in which we're (shudder) similar to Toronto is our preoccupation with signing depth players to ensure we don't bottom out in the standings. Never too low, but also never too high. Finishing at the bottom for one season might land us a top-five pick around which we could build, but Habs brass are too scared of displeasing the fanbase.

So it's not that either org doesn't care about winning. They just don't care enough.

Sportsfreak's random word lookup, hyperbolic: having the nature of hyperbole; exaggerated.

Ok that clears that up, back on topic.....

I guess thats an ownership call, don't risk the fall to make the climb. However I will never be in favor of purposely going for a bottom 5 pick, I hate rebuilding and the concept IMO is inefficient.

I guess thats an ownership call, don't risk the fall to make the climb. However I will never be in favor of purposely going for a bottom 5 pick, I hate rebuilding and the concept IMO is inefficient.

Nobody wants the team to tank to get a pick. But every season we load up on lower-tier or aging veterans to avoid falling too low. If we'd passed on players like Niinimaa, Smolinski, Bonk, Johnson, Brisebois, and even Lang, and concentrated on seriously developing the youth core for at least one season, we could have seen a quantum leap forward in the development of our kids and also stood an excellent chance of drafting high enough to land an impact player.

Nobody wants the team to tank to get a pick. But every season we load up on lower-tier or aging veterans to avoid falling too low. If we'd passed on players like Niinimaa, Smolinski, Bonk, Johnson, Brisebois, and even Lang, and concentrated on seriously developing the youth core for at least one season, we could have seen a quantum leap forward in the development of our kids and also stood an excellent chance of drafting high enough to land an impact player.

You mean like Toronto's doing this year?

I disagree with you on Lang, but I agree on Smolinski and would on Metropolit if he had been included. We totally discarded our investment in Chipchura.

ETA: As for Brisebois, I'm not there were many more D who could have been developed this year. Next year though Carle, Weber, Belle and O'Byrne... some of them should be ready to step up, and I'd lose Brisebois and Bouillon. We also need to make room in Hamilton for Fischer, McDonagh and Subban.

A Playoff birth...no doubt.

New game in the playoffs...anything can happen!