The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Would You Rather: Joe Thornton Or Vincent Lecavalier?

Bourne

Who would you rather?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather?

• Joe Thornton
    • Vincent Lecavalier

An interesting debate started up <edited> regarding Joe and if Montreal would be interested in trading for him. Thus I figured why not see what everyone here thought of the two. I will quote my personal opinion below.

Without a second thought, he is the centre Montreal needs up on the front line. With Joe hammering down the first line and Koivu holding the fort on the second, Montreal would be one dominating team. His playoff performance is a huge concern however I would swallow it as part of the gamble. Why? Because of the following...

1) He stays good ol' Joe and struggles all through the playoffs. Yes it would suck however he is a fantastic regular season player that would be a huge impact for our developing youth. He could provide much insight and experience, which might just allow them to push the team with Koivu and Kovalev while he sulks in the corner during the playoffs.

2) The insanity of Montreal lights a fire unlike anything before and he ignites in the playoffs. With Kovalev on his wing, hell even with Latendresse or Higgins, Montreal would easily push all the way.

It is a significant gamble because acquiring Joe would be costly however I would much rather him than Lecavalier. Why?

1) San Jose would accept a reasonable deal; Tampa wants three firsts, tons of players and even Markov. They are idiots.

2)

Joe Thornton: $7.2m until 11/12

Vincent Lecavalier: $7.6m until 20/21 (With a 10m cap hit for seven years)

Yeah, seems like a no brainer to me. Vinny's contract is absolutely ridiculous. If Joe does not work out, we let him walk or trade him, no harm done. Could the same be said about Vinny?

No offense, Bourne, but why are we quoting material from another message board? Isn't that a Code violation?

Good topic, though.

Because this was what I wrote on that board. Bah, poor wording in the initial post, I meant to say I would be quoting myself. Sorry about that.

Playoff careers:

Thorton: .15 GPG/.68 PPG

Vinny: .4 GPG/.73 PPG

However Thorton also started in the postseason at a VERY young age, he had 17 career postseason games by the end of his age 19 season. Vinny didn't make the postseason until 22, so lets use the sample size of Thorton from 22 on.

His line becomes .14 GPG/.72 PPG

Also this is really being selective with my sample size, but since being traded to San Jose the line is:

.13 GPG/.82 PPG

Is he a franchise player in the postseason? Not really, but hes not quite the choker at least in more recent times that people seem to make him out to be. Before anybody argues about what round San Jose has gottent through I'll just lay it out now, INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS DON'T WIN PLAYOFF SERIES!!

Salary cap wise Thornton is a better fit. But playoff time wise Vinny is better. Stats show that Thornton's playoff production is better than what it appears, but he isn't nearly as good a goal scorer and isn't nearly as gritty. Vinny scores more goals in the regular season and playoffs and has that 'edge' that leads by example. However, his huge salary cap hit and longterm contract certainly could become an albatross if he were unable to reproduce quality numbers on a less offensively gifted team than Tampa.

Vinny's contract is bad, I also find him to be incredibly overrated.

Just for reference, post lockout (this is when Vinny finally broke out) here's an average season from the 2,

Average Vinny season:

80 GP 40 G 48 A = 88 P

Average Joe season:

81.75 GP 27 G 79 A = 106 P

Vinny's contract is bad, I also find him to be incredibly overrated.

Just for reference, post lockout (this is when Vinny finally broke out) here's an average season from the 2,

Average Vinny season:

80 GP 40 G 48 A = 88 P

Average Joe season:

81.75 GP 27 G 79 A = 106 P

Well to be fair to Vinny, those are pretty comparable seasons only because goals are worth more than assists.

Nevertheless, because of that contract I don't take him if Tampa just wants the contract rights to Bouillon.

Well to be fair to Vinny, those are pretty comparable seasons only because goals are worth more than assists.

Nevertheless, because of that contract I don't take him if Tampa just wants the contract rights to Bouillon.

I know they are comparable, hence Vinny being overrated since it seems like the majority think it's a no contest win for Vinny (although I maintain Thornton is a bit better), and Joe has a better contract so that's why I posted them.

Good question. I've been watching the San Jose/ Anahiem series and really haven't been that impressed with Thorton in this years playoffs or last years for that matter.

Vinny has won a cup. Too bad about Vinny's contract. The question is who would help Montreal win a cup and still keep the team under the cap.

I hear that the cap is going to go down this year because of the tough economic times, and that makes Vinny's hit even harder to take.

I would take Vinny and try to renegotiate his contract.

They're both 6"4. Lecavalier is a superior player particularly in the playoffs and about a year younger, but Thornton has less injury history as far as I know, and he has a better contract, he's 15 lbs heavier, and San Jose wouldn't ask for the moon, so I'd take Thornton.

With an assist machine like Thornton, we would do well to go after a sniper like Gaborik or Kovalchuk.

Thornton

Enough with the acquiring of a local boy , who will be past his prime, to appease the media / market etc .

As for Thornton not performing in the playoffs.

Big deal, it's not like any of the current players , since 1993 , have been able to do anything special in the PO's

At least Joe might get us there comfortably and not squeaking in

Do you really think Thornton would be that easy to pull away from San Jose? I don't think he'd be easy to come by at all.

No I imagine he would cost a significant amount however I suspect far less than...

Higgins

Plekanec

P.K Subban

Markov

Three Firsts

Gotta love Tampa Bay :lol:

I think they altered it somewhat when they began to mention Markov however it was still ridiculous. Markov is are only untouchable player.

neither

Then who might you suggest?

No I imagine he would cost a significant amount however I suspect far less than...

Higgins

Plekanec

P.K Subban

Markov

Three Firsts

I think they altered it somewhat when they began to mention Markov however it was still ridiculous. Markov is are only untouchable player.

:lol: It's the three firsts part at the bottom that really makes me lol. Higgins, Plekanec, Suban, and a first maybe, but Vinny worth Markov and three firsts and a top prospect?? Keep dreaming Lawton.

Higgins

Plekanec

P.K Subban

Markov

Three Firsts

I think they altered it somewhat when they began to mention Markov however it was still ridiculous. Markov is our only untouchable player.

I bolded what I deemed to be true.

Also,I would love to have vinny,but not at the cost of what they want in return,not to mention his hefty contract.

So,if it's between joe & vinny,I'd have to say big joe.

Archived