The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Would You Rather: Joe Thornton Or Vincent Lecavalier?

Bourne

Who would you rather?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather?

• Joe Thornton
    • Vincent Lecavalier

The Habs haven't had someone who will produce consistently in the regular season in a long time. The only one close is Kovalev for one year hes been a Hab. If they could get Joe Thornton I'm not sure how they could refuse. Lecavalier is a good player, but his contract is crazy, hes a bit more banged up, and hes not as consistent during the regular season at producing points. Either one is better then what the Habs have to offer.

It's not that he doesn't perform, but he isn't the same player you get in the regular season. This is a former Hart winner, so while his playoff stats have been decent, I think you'd need to take into account when acquiring him while he may be a superstar playmaker in the regular season, he's just a good player in the playoffs. I suppose you could argue that Lecalvier isn't a star player either (including regular season, and his playoff stats also have never been amazing), but at least he has managed to get over a PPG in his last postseason appearance, something Thornton has never managed.

I actually think that his performance in the regular season and playoffs are the same but the problem is that he doesn't elevate his game like some other players, instead, he stays at the same level. And the reason why people see him as a bad playoff performer is because people expect him to be scoring goals not just assist, making big hits, and making himself seem more noticed but he doesn't. I honestly never really noticed Thornton in the reuglar season or playoffs. However I'm not a sharks fan and I don't follow the sharks so maybe I'm the only person who feels this way

It's not that he doesn't perform, but he isn't the same player you get in the regular season. This is a former Hart winner, so while his playoff stats have been decent, I think you'd need to take into account when acquiring him while he may be a superstar playmaker in the regular season, he's just a good player in the playoffs. I suppose you could argue that Lecalvier isn't a star player either (including regular season, and his playoff stats also have never been amazing), but at least he has managed to get over a PPG in his last postseason appearance, something Thornton has never managed.

Lecav does have more dimensions to his game though - that does separate him from thornton a bit. Dont get me wrong, id love EITHER (although im not crazy about Lecav's contract) but methinks neither will ever happen.

With that said, Bob has come clean and discussed the fact that a deal was virtually in place to bring Lecalvier here so I think that the arrival of Lecalvier is inevitable:(.

I actually think, based on Bob's end-of-season press conference, we're now less likely than ever to get Lecavalier.

Bob said quite clearly that TB approached us. They enquired about some players & Bob perhaps "hinted" that a certain group of players would be enough to get negotiations started. I do not get the sense that a deal was ever in place or even in negotiations - it sounded like a "what would you give me for him" situation. Lawton (TB) then took that short list & started calling other GMs to see if they would go higher. Gainey called lawton's move "disgraceful" and while It wouldnt totally prohibit a deal for Lecavalier happening now, I think it makes it MUCH less likely.

Living on Vancouver Island (yes, I'm a Habs fan), we see quite a bit of Thornton on TV (and no, I'm not a Canuck fan).

My impression of Thornton is that he has the skills, the size, and all the tools - he just doesn't use them consistently.

As Graeme (above) pointed out, Thornton doesn't seem to be able to raise his energy level in the post season. He's still good, but in the playoffs that isn't good enough - you have to get better.

While I'm on the topic of players that don't perform consistently, I might as well include the Shark's captain too. He has a very similar set of tools, but doesn't always get them out and use them. He may even be worse than Thornton.

I have a question - why would the Bruins future and first round draft pick take a year off and play in Switzerland with Davos? Does this look like commitment to hockey? It doesn't to me.

Now let's look at Getzlaf or Parry of the Ducks - these players do elevate their games in the playoffs - that's why the Sharks are finished.

Why is Montreal finished? Many reasons which include injuries, but again, the consistency isn't always there. For example, both of the Kostitsyns (when they show up) are excellent players - but they don't seem to me to show up often enough. There are at least 80 games a year, and at least 60 minutes per game - part time hockey doesn't work well enough.

I don't think LeCavalier would even go to Montreal - superstar level players from Quebec are expected to carry the team on their backs, and this pressure is enormous for them. Playing "at home" may sound nice, but the pressure can be too much for the player. He'd be a fool to come to Montreal for this reason.

Joe had five points in six games this year in the playoffs, 10 in 13 last season, 11 in 11 in 06 and 9 in 11 in 05. How is that terrible? I don't think we can blame the sharks frequent playoff exits on big Joe, there are obviously other problems there. I'd take him in a flash.

We need to forget about Lecavalier. His price, both in contract and in players would be way too high.

The salary cap is going to be south of $50 million dollars in two years. As it goes down the amount that his contract eats up increases. Very soon, the Canadiens are Vincent Lecavalier and a bunch of AHLers.

Bob Gainey would be making such a trade from a position of weakness. His players this year did not play well so their value has sunk a great deal. So the deal that Bob Gainey mentioned a couple of weeks ago is off the table. The Lightning are going to want more, more roster players and more prospects and picks.

So, Lecavalier would come here and be a salary cap albatross around the neck of the organizations. Alot of potentially good young players would be taken off of the Canadiens roster and a fair amount of the depth that the organization has been meticulously building for the last 5 years would be gone.

Hopefully, the organization realizes all of this and are pursuing other avenues for improving the team.

Well let me see,aren't these 2 players out of the playoffs.One player doesn't make a team.

You need 3 or 4 solid lines and a solid defense. Which the habs don't have.Thornton has yet

lead anyone too the promise land. Lecavalier will not lead this team anywhere by himself,

the habs needs lots of new blood

I'd love to have Lecavalier, but allocating 10 million dollars to a single player for the next SEVEN years could seriously hamstring this team.

The actual cap hit is $7.1m per year every year for the next TEN years (the end of his contract he earns less per year - down to $8.5m, $4m, $1.5m and $1m but the team only has to factor $7.1m every year of the deal).

Right now, when he's in his prime, $7m a year doesnt seem that bad. In 7,8,9 years time, when he's 36, 37, 38 years old and the team still has to factor in the $7m cap hit, that is when this deal is going to look horrible.

Joe had five points in six games this year in the playoffs, 10 in 13 last season, 11 in 11 in 06 and 9 in 11 in 05. How is that terrible? I don't think we can blame the sharks frequent playoff exits on big Joe, there are obviously other problems there. I'd take him in a flash.

I think a lot of the criticism from Habs fans stems from his game back in Boston. He was usually invisible & always outplayed by Koivu in the head to head matchup of top centres.

And that was part of the knock - almost exactly the same (rib?) injury that Saku had but Saku played through it & was effective - Thornton was not.

Yeah, and since all injuries are created equal ...

I feel the fact that he was even dressed in that series proves he wants to win. I've had broken ribs and just doing regular daily activities was hard...but to play NHL playoff hockey is another thing altogether. I am not belittiling Koivu's efforts...in any series, I am only commenting on Joe. If we could, it would be great to have both on the team, Thornton as our 1st and Koivu as the 3rd (and our teams heart).

Yeah, and since all injuries are created equal ...

LOL.

I think the guy's point (if I remember correctly - my old brain is starting to fail me) is that when we won the series, people were down on thornton & the B's staff explained he had torn rib cartilage and everyone said "oh, ok." Fast forward to a few weeks later and we found out that Saku had torn rib cartilage also! It was funny/ironic that both had the same injury & one used it as an excuse & the other we didnt even know he was hurt.

As you've rightly pointed out though, no one knows how severe either's injure was - heck maybe saku's was worse - lol. Not to mention that different trainers might treat injuries better/worse also.

The problem is it hasn't been hard to shut Thornton down in the playoffs or at least limit him to the point where the other team can win the series. A lot of teams have had success against him in the playoffs for whatever reason. That doesn't mean he isn't a good player as he is probably better then anyone the Habs have so it would be difficult to turn him down even with playoff concerns.

Vinny hands down.

Chokin' Joe is an albatross. A Jonah. A whammy. A hex.

Wherever he goes, teams lose.

He brings his own black cloud with him.

The Beantowners were terrible in the post-season with him in the line-up(when he played), and now he's brought his funk to the west coast.

New town, same old stink.

Joe is a loser.

Vinny is a winner.

Vinny has drank from the Stanley Cup.

He wears number four in honour of his grandfather's hero, Jean Beliveau.

He has won the Rocket Richard trophy for his on-ice prowess and the NHL's Foundation Player Award (the same one Kovy's up for this year) for his off-ice humanitarian endeavours.

He is a champion in every sense of the word.

I don't understand why this thread exists... especially in "general habs". Am I missing something? Has there ever been even slight rumblings that Joe Thornton is on the trading block, or more importantly, that the Habs some chance of landing him? Seems as though threads like this could be started for any players in the league and in many other cases at least BOTH players have been rumoured to Montreal. This is more equivalent to "hossa or malkin", than "hossa or gaborik", for example.

Seems like maybe more of a "hot stove" topic... if anything.

SH.IT SON U F***ERS ARE NUTTTTY

Remember Kirk Muller after he left the Habs. I think who we want is someone wanting to live in Montreal and not just play for the Habs but play with desire. I think GM's have some responsibility to players today to see that they are happy with a particular move as well.

Of the two players, I think Vinny might have more of a heart and soul connection with Montreal so to speak.

Archived