The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

Mike Cammalleri, Andrei Markov or Scott Gomez. These are solid players, and where Markov is a leader on the ice, I think we should show one of our new aquisitions that they are not just assets aquired in the off season, but players we plan to keep in our organization for the duration of their contract+, and by giving them the C or an A would be the perfect way to show this.

i dont see how you can give markov the captain because he was stripped of his A. he used to be but komisarek took over. i was really hoping this season it would be higgins who was the captain but since hes not here im saying lappierre C, Markov A, and we dont have another player who could be captain. i really hate when they pick new palyers fo a captain and nobody else has done anything to deserve an A because everybody was so selfish last year. i was thinking maybe kostopolous but hes gone. we had two players who are returning who werent idiots last year. Hammrliks bad now. kostitsyns no chance, plekanec sucked last year. Latendresse was inconsistent. metropilit may not play next year. Stewarts too young. gorges maybe.

The more I think about a new captain the more I fear for that individual whoever it may be. I can see it now:

Before the first loss>>>>>>

What do you think of Komisarek not coming back?

What do you think of Koivu not coming back?

What do you think of Kovalev not coming back?

What do think of <new guy, insert name>?

Repeat cycle a million times.

After the season starts and after the firstl loss>>>>>>

Are you feeling the loss of Komisarek?

Are you feeling the loss of Koivu?

Are you feeling the loss of Kovalev?

Repeat cycle a million times after each loss.

New captain will have a lot on his plate. I don't envy him.

Only one european captain has ever took his team to the cup. Lidstrom... and who did he learn from? Stevie Y. I thought Koivu was a great captain - but I think we need a North American born player to lead the way now. Koivu had more than a fair chance to do what he could, with the cards that were dealt to him and it didn't happen for him. Maybe it will happen for him somewhere else, and that would be really nice to see. But in Montreal, we need a leader who's been tried, tested, and brought up playing the North American style hockey. Grit and toughness, in combination with speed and skill. Nothing against european style hockey, it can be very exciting to watch, but let's face it. That style just doesn't win championships in the NHL.

I think either Gionta or Gomez should be captain next year. I love Markov and think he will be the team's leader on the ice regardless of whether he wears the "C". But Gionta and Gomez have both lead the Devils to the Stanley Cup (Gomez twice). Also, Gionta has international experience representing the USA. These two guys are proven leaders on the ice and I think they are both deserving of the "C" or at least an "A". I think there is no shortage of leadership on this roster when you look at Markov, Spacek, Gill and Hamrlik on the blue line, as well as Lapierre and Metropolit up front.

Gionta "C"

Markov "A"

Gomez / Spacek "A"

I can't belive that many people want to see Lapierre as captain!!

I don't dislike the guy but come on... he's played well about half a season??? He didn't even make the team out of training camp last year!

People say he could handle the pressure.... what has he done to prove this? He played on a third line?? That doesn't prove much to me....

He speaks french?? So what?? There's only two other guys on the team who speak french... Latendresse and Laraque... what difference does it make?? He's gonna make interviews with RDS?... I don't see how that's going to make the team win.

You say he had heart.... yeah... Steve Begin had alot of hard. Did you see him as being captain of the habs, or captain of the bruins now?? :blink:

If Lapierre becomes the Habs captain in the next three years... I'll eat my habs jersey

I'm all in for the rotation system... put three guys with the A on their chest (Markov, Gomez, Spacek, maybe Cammalleri or Gionta ) and make the team vote after a while. We don't need a captain that much.... Jacques Martin will be able to lead the team for all I know.

I think Laraque would make a great captain, I would love to see other teams taking liberties with our Captain then. :lol::lol::lol:

Laraque is a buffoon! The guy looks as if he's wearing his skates on the wrong feet every night. At least when we had Brashear, he could put the put in the net from time to time.

So... Let's see! Who's on the roster anyway? :lol:

Scott Gomez (Highest paid player, 2 Cups, expected to be the leading playmaker)

Mike Cammalleri (2nd highest paid player, coming off of a 40+ goal season)

Brian Gionta

Andrei Kostitsyn (Potential breakout season, perhaps too young/inexperienced)

Sergei Kostitsyn

Guillaume Latendresse (Potential breakout season, perhaps too young/inexperienced)

Georges Laraque

Glen Metropolit

Maxim Lapierre (Bleeds the bleu-blanc-rouge, never takes a shift off)

Max Pacioretty

Matt D'Agostini

Tomas Plekanec

Gregory Stewart

Kyle Chipchura (Supposed future leader, far too young/inexperienced at this time)

Andrei Markov (Best defender, most reliable contributor last season)

Roman Hamrlik (Veteran blueline presence)

Hal Gill (Veteran blueline presence, coming off of a Cup win)

Jaroslav Spacek

Josh Gorges (Former Junior captain, shows character, works hard)

Ryan O'Byrne

Yannick Weber

Carey Price

Jaroslav Halak

Jeez... There is no standout candidate... I feel like 3 'A's is the way to go.

Andrei Markov (A)

Mike Cammalleri (A)

Scott Gomez (A)

it has to be marky.

he is now the franchise player. well besides carey that is.

it would be a great move he is our MVP and is cool as a cucumber.

i don't think giving it to one of the new guys would be a good idea. i think that would be a slap in the face to markov.

I can't belive that many people want to see Lapierre as captain!!

I don't dislike the guy but come on... he's played well about half a season??? He didn't even make the team out of training camp last year!

I'm all in for the rotation system... put three guys with the A on their chest (Markov, Gomez, Spacek, maybe Cammalleri or Gionta ) and make the team vote after a while. We don't need a captain that much.... Jacques Martin will be able to lead the team for all I know.

THIS.

I'd go Markov and Gomez for sure with the A's, as these guys are the ones who are already going to be counted on to lead the team on the ice. As for the third, well, I can see the arguments to the three you mentioned here as well as Hamrlik.

Lapierre...he's fast becoming one of my favourite players on the team and I absolutely love his work ethic. But captain? Does anyone remember the captaincy thread last summer? There was a small contingent that wanted to nix Koivu and promote either Higgins or Pleks or Komisarek after the great years they'd just had. How would that have turned out? Not to say that I think Lapierre is a one season wonder (or that any of them were for that matter), but it's a little much to say that half a season of excelling on the third line and a great work ethic is enough to make a 24 year old respected and admired by his peers in the dressing room.

I've said it before, there's no question. It has to be Markov. Sure, he's not vocal and seems pretty shy, but he is the backbone of the team and deserves captaincy. IMO, he's the one player we can take away from this roster and have it completely collapse. That my friends, is a leader.

C to Markov, an A to each of Gomez and Cammalleri.

No one yet in my opinion, if I HAD to pick I would say Markov but thats only if I had to.

I say have no captain this year let the players play, and coaching/management/players should all have input decide/vote on it at the end of the season...you can't just hand out the C right now like that it has to be earned and I think we will have a better understanding next year as to who should get it

Right now, who in the habs lineup is the most courageous player? In my opinion, his name is Josh Georges. This guy is a leader and plays with heart. I would not name him captain but would consider giving him an A. So for me, 3 As. Georges, Markov , Cammaleri.

The next habs captain ( if they develop him well) will be Pk Subban.

Hate to say it but Gomez is the obvious choice for me. He has the experience, and he interacts well with others.

Markov is the fan favourite here, but seriously what has he done to show anyone that he is a leader. Backstop a PP doesn't make a captain. Being able to communicate with the media, teammates, and of course winning Cups is the way to go. Gomez does all that, Markov does that when he has to, but he'd rather pack up his gear before taking to anyone.

Bob Gainey has slashed the two-headed dragon that was tearing apart the locker room, leaving his subjects without a true king...

I'm told they will let fate decide on who's to take charge, when they freeze a hockey stick in the Bell Center's ice, and ask all candidates to try and pull it out... :P

Bob Gainey has slashed the two-headed dragon that was tearing apart the locker room, leaving his subjects without a true king...

I'm told they will let fate decide on who's to take charge, when they freeze a hockey stick in the Bell Center's ice, and ask all candidates to try and pull it out... :P

If you put it this way i put all my money on hal gill lol!

I would be VERY disappointed if the Habs let Koivu go. He is a class act, and gives his all everytime he steps on the ice (unlike Kovy). And it's a slap in his face that they offered Kovy a deal and not our captain. The Habs need to be a little bit loyal to players who give so much to the team. I would lose respect for the franchise if they didn't at least put something on the table for Saku. The Habs just might lose a player and a fan in the process.