The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

Koivu, if he's back.

Kovalev doesn't deserve it, and I hope he doesn't return.

Those are saying Markov? That's ridiculous, he is SO quiet, a leader needs to be vocal.

I'd be fine with Komisarek, if he's back.

If not, Higgins?

But we'll have to wait and see who signs where, right?

A leader doesn't necessarily have to be loud and vocal. He just needs to lead by example on the ice. Markov definetley has the ability to do that.

So my first choice is obviously Koivu, if not then Markov.

theres actually been talk about me wearing the "C"...its almost a toss up between me and forever habs #10 right now...but ecklund said that sources of a friend of a friend of his said that greek hockey coach was gona lace em up for one season and take the "C"...but on the other hand the guys on "that's hockey" said that there is another rumour that gainey will be in contact with "jennifer rocket"...so we'll really just have to sit tight and see...its a toss up right now though...but these are just rumours...:P

Since the thread poses the question, "IF Saku leaves, who should be captain?" I will answer by saying Andrei Markov. I don't think Montreal needs a vocal captain. In fact, perhaps we need a silent, but strong on-ice, type leader. It would almost be a wee little snub to the media. "You want to bug our captain all the time? Good luck! He can barely speak English or French!" Markov is our best on-ice player. Why not give him an opportunity to captain the team if Koivu leaves. The in-control, composed play might be a good lesson for the young kids.

Markov may be quiet however he would lead by example, to coin the cliche: "Actions speak louder than words" ;)

JR also makes a good point, the media can heckle a guy like Markov all they want, he still will not response and I imagine it would drive them to the breaking point of insanity, which could be extremely entertaining. :lol:

Markov is the way to go, he may lack personality but he is the most important player on the team right now.

It seems we can never win when he doesn't play.

well thats because we have 5 other incompetent defense and a goalie who could stop nothing

well thats because we have 5 other incompetent defense and a goalie who could stop nothing
now now. First off, Price is the man!! there is not one other goalie in the league I would take over Price at this moment (not even Fleury). As much as I disagree with BG on many things, he is right right right on Price. The guy is truly our future so cut him some slack. No goalie short of Brodeur or Roy plays all-star caliber tending year in year out.

Our young D corps will be primed next year, build some strength and size down the middle through UFA, draft or Vinny Trade, slap KOVY with the C and the Habs will be set to make a lucky run to the Stanley Cup (but a solid 3rd round team for sure).

does anybody see gomez being captain?

im a huge fan of kovalev, but not too sure how good of a captain he would make. that said, i also don't see them giving captincty to gomez right away, and i certainly don't see markov being a captain.

also, with higgins and likely komo gone, i dont know who that leaves us...

does anybody see gomez being captain?

im a huge fan of kovalev, but not too sure how good of a captain he would make. that said, i also don't see them giving captincty to gomez right away, and i certainly don't see markov being a captain.

also, with higgins and likely komo gone, i dont know who that leaves us...

Higgins was traded for Gomez, and I seriously doubt Gomez would be captain

no reason why Saku shouldnt remain with the team, he would slot in at the 2 hole and it would be the perfect position for him with less weight on his shoulders. but it would be too logical for Bob to bring him back :rolleyes:

no reason why Saku shouldnt remain with the team, he would slot in at the 2 hole and it would be the perfect position for him with less weight on his shoulders. but it would be too logical for Bob to bring him back :rolleyes:

Really though its up to Saku, not Bob, whether he wants to play here or not.