The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

jees it may have to be Price the way things look now..we keep signing too small players or those ready for the retirement farm...as a truly dedicated Habs fan I do not believe I mst say this but Gainey must go..he is taking us from contenders to pretenders...i thought for a sec he worked for those hated TML's now to get ready for years of missing the playoffs and all our young defensemen playing somewhere else...RIP Les Habitants....

Well this thread just got a lot more interesting. It looks like the chance that we get back any of Captains or Alternates back is close to 0. Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins and Komisarek are all gone.

Markov wore the A at points last season, but I'm pretty sure that's the only connection we have left to a letter.

I'll say it again: out of respect to Saku, I don't think we should have a captain next season.

we have just given him the ultimate slap in the face so im thinking we would never do anything that classy to show him how much he meant to the franchise by having just 3 As for a season

Considering he hasnt really won anything, I dont support the whole, out of respect to saku there should be no captain....

We have to think about NOW.. about THIS SEASON, not dwell in the past.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE saku, and will miss him terribly, but a captain brings some stability, and I dont want to see some stupid rotating alternate system.

Kovalev is a no brainer.. as he actually played pretty good wearing the C when Saku was out.

But if kovalev doesnt come back, I guess you give it to Markov.. but only the players/coaches know how these guys are in the dressing rooms, and only they know who is best suited to step in to the captain's role.

With so many new faces, I honestly think that would be the best.

Lapierre and Markov get A's.

I tend to agree unless maybe Kovalev re-signs since when he was named captain he played well and did a pretty good job, but right now this team is going to need to find its identity in order to name a captain, there are a few that are front runners who could be assistants and we could go from there next year.

This is a tough one, I personally don't know if Markov has the leadership quality to be captain if he was given the C.

If Schneider comes back, we should definitely give him the C, that's assuming Kovalev and Koivu are not back if either of them comes back, of coz the C will be there's.

I dont know what would be the moral on the team if we give the new guy the C (Gomez, Gionta or Cammalleri), that could be good or bad. Good in the sense that it's a new start but bad in the sense that other guys that had been there longer may not feel good about it.

Anyways, I do hope that the captain could be North American as I do think it plans a role in how a team is run.

Seriously, the worst thing to do would be to let the question linger too long.

We do not need more of the side-taking and clan-making in the locker room

that's bound to happen if the Captain is not firmly designated by merit and for the best reasons.

The GM needs to show his roomfull of new teammates, and their knowledgeable fans,

that he's thought this out and that there's a strategy, a plan, a clue behind everything done.

Whoever is named captain, it should be the most important decision made this new season.

No further back than last season, it was obvious that Saku was not always able to follow in icetime minutes. Then when rumours of feuds in the locker room arose, it was often mentioned on this very board that Mr Gillett was the only reason Saku Koivu was still in the Canadiens.

Couldn't it be something other than just an unclassy move on Gainey's part?

Couldn't it be that Bob Gainey has new bosses now...?