The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
Don't think there's enough enough money to sign him.

We still have to sign our RFA's.

There's one RFA I wouldn't give a single penny at all, it would be Plekanec. I don't give bollocks whether or not he works hard in practice, especially not when he plays like a little girl as he did. Is there anything else we need to know about him? Not at all!

3 million bucks for Plekanec... over my dead body! :angry:

Back on topic... I don't know. Without Kovalev, we are in real trouble because NOBODY can step up as captain right now. Lapierre, Markov and Hamrlik can wear "A" letters at the most, but NONE with the "C". <_<

Btw, I don't see any captain material in this bunch, I kinda do, but either they haven't been in Montreal long enough (need to mature) or they just got here.

This would've been a perfect time for captain Koivu to step up and get this team going, unfortunately...

If just Koivu left, I would've said Schneidy. It's a tough call, Marky would be good, but there is a language barrier with him. I'm leaning more towards Gorges or Hamrlik.

Gorges cos he's obviously well liked by his team mates and even though he's not an offensive threat, he is a hard worker out there.

Hamrlik, due to his experience.

Can someone put the option of no captain (3 assistants) into the poll?

Looks like we're on the same page MP. ;)

Three asst captains would be a good way to go and it would show respect to Koivu and what he ment to this team.

If they do decide to give someone the C, I'd pick Markov hands down. Sure he's a quiet guy but he wouldn't be the first quiet captain in the NHL that leads by example. Action always speaks louder than words and when he got injured last year are team look like they blew out there back tire.

My three choice for asst captain: Markov, Lapierre, Georges

Based on the roster as it is today I honeslty don't who should be captain

The captain should IMO be available to speak to the media for the Team

Who, amongst this bunch , is best suited for the task

Might as well have three " A"'s

I don`t like the 3 A's idea... Koivu was a great leader and an even better person. A hero to many in Montreal but he is gone folks. I wish him nothing but the best and honestly if there is any chance that he would be back next season and don the C again I would be very happy about it but chances are it is not happening.

How on earth would not naming a captain for the team next year prove anything or show respect for Saku? I get that fans are upset about losing him but if none of the 20+ players we have now are able to step up and be a leader then we have serious issues.

Not naming a Captain would be silly IMO and the equivalent to slowly pealing off a bandaid, lets rip it off with a swift tug and get it over with.

I don`t like the 3 A's idea... Koivu was a great leader and an even better person. A hero to many in Montreal but he is gone folks. I wish him nothing but the best and honestly if there is any chance that he would be back next season and don the C again I would be very happy about it but chances are it is not happening.

How on earth would not naming a captain for the team next year prove anything or show respect for Saku? I get that fans are upset about losing him but if none of the 20+ players we have now are able to step up and be a leader then we have serious issues.

Not naming a Captain would be silly IMO and the equivalent to slowly pealing off a bandaid, lets rip it off with a swift tug and get it over with.

That's the thing, there's no clear cut leader on this team anymore. Maybe one of the new guys but I just don't see one of them getting the captaincy right away.

That's the thing, there's no clear cut leader on this team anymore. Maybe one of the new guys but I just don't see one of them getting the captaincy right away.

Exactly! I'm not saying to have 3 assistants out of respect for Koivu, not at all, I just can't see us giving the "C" to one of the new guys, or anyone else currently on the team. I would almost take it as a slap in the face if I were one of the Habs that have been there a couple years or more. Maybe in time, but not yet. Also, as Lizard pointed out, there's really not a clear cut leader on the team. Markov? I dunno. I think he's a leader, but one who leads by doing, not really by talkin', plus, there's the whole launguage thing (his English isn't the greatest, is it?). I would forever give Markov an "A" though. Next year, absolutely, name a captain.

yeah but is this idea of no clear cut leader based on what we see or what we know? do we really know what goes on in that locker room?? there could be a guy in there that we dont think is a leader but really is and we just dont know because we arent in that locker room like that you know what i mean??

unfortunately Bob Gainey has pretty much told Koivu he was not going to re-sign him (quote from article...... “I had good conversation with Saku on Wednesday morning and I thanked him for everything. He was tremendous for us for a very long time, a special player,” said Gainey. “I have great memories of his time here and Saku was a great player for us. The time came for us as an organization to move on, create a new team with a new identity.” ) I think this is a stupid move Saku has been the heart and soul of this team for years now, his courage and dedication showed game in and game out. No one worked harder on the ice as he did, and i think gainey should have given him the option of retiring with the organization, Gie up part of your salary bob so we can have Koivu back in the line up