The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

Who gets the C? well there's nothing that says it has to be a career commitment from the start. For next season, they could alternate a few guys up to a set date when they think they'll know who should be the captain, even for the whole season. I dont think the 3 As option is a good idea. Let the natural leaders really lead the group, whether on the ice or in the dressing room, regardless of a letter.

Gionta was asked his opinion on the issue in his phone press conference yesterday. His take on the whole leadership situation is that the guys will take a couple of months from training camp to get to know each other well and form a TEAM, which I think makes perfect sense. Leadership will establish itself naturally from that imo.

Just sew a C on a jersey for the regulatory part of that job during games :)

Saku Koivu

(sorry for the repost - but I didn't want to sound like a ***** by just saying SAKU without outlining my plan)

Here's how:

Sign Saku to a 4 year $9 million contact (that's a 2.25 million cap hit)

Year 1: $4 million

Year 2: $3.25 million

Year 3: $1 million

Year 4: $750,000

He'd be our #2 centre for the next couple of years and get a deserved wage. Probably drop to a 3rd line/PP guy for the final 2 years, and get slightly below market value, but he gets the term he wants and gets to finish his career as a Hab.

Plus it fits under the cap.

Ive mentioned this on this post before even though i think its putting the cart before the horse but Kyle Chipchura is definitely captain material but its way to early for that.He has to solidify his spot here first.Outside of that i like lapierre,markov and one of the new guys for an assistant.

Now that we know that Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Lang, Komisarek, Higgins won't be back i guess the only logic choice should be Markov. Hey Koivu was there and he didn't talk much to the media and still in the hearts of so many fans was a true leades by what he brought on the ice night after night. That is why i think Markov should be the next capitain. He he the quarter back of this team. Naming somebody else i think would be an insult not only to him but the other players that are still on the team.

I would give the C to Markov

I would give one A to Georges

And i would give the last A to Sergei Kostistyn

Markov for what he brings on the ice

Georges for what he brings on and off the ice

Sergei because a see the potential. and i guess The A would calm his somewhat hot temper

I think Josh Gorges has been very open with his team mates ... He plays with heart every game and would be able to lead by example the way Mike Komisarek did (obviously to a limited extent).

I think Josh Gorges should be considered for the A, by all means. Let me know what you think about that.

Lapierre too, but it's hard when your english skills are lacking in a team where there are only 2-3 french canadians (but OF COURSE, we HAVE to have a french coach and a french-speaking captain).

I think Josh Gorges has been very open with his team mates ... He plays with heart every game and would be able to lead by example the way Mike Komisarek did (obviously to a limited extent).

I think Josh Gorges should be considered for the A, by all means. Let me know what you think about that.

Lapierre too, but it's hard when your english skills are lacking in a team where there are only 2-3 french canadians (but OF COURSE, we HAVE to have a french coach and a french-speaking captain).

Its funny you say that cause theres a name no one has mentioned guilliame latendresse.If he steps up and plays to his full potential who knows eh?

Id go with Cammaleri. I hear he is a great guy and though he is young with only 2 really good seasons under his belt, I think he is the best choice. Markov is good but he is too quiet I think. Cammaleri really wants to be here and I think he could be helpful with the young players.

I'd really hate to put the C on one of the new guys that would be even more added pressure on top of playing in a new city. I think there should be 3 A's and mid season they name a captain based on merit and leadership abilities. The honor of wearing the C should be earned not just given out in my opinion.

Hammer and Markov are the only two left on that list...

I'd go with neither.

Markov is a great player, but he's quiet and shies away from the media. A captain has to also be the voice of the team.

And as for Hammer, I've never really saw him as captain material. I could be wrong though, but why have a captain who probably won't be with us very long?

C-Gomez

A-Cammelleri

A-Gionta

LOL!

Actually I wouldn't rule out Spacek as one of the A's

Don't forget about Markov as assistant.

If only the currently signed players and RFA's are considered, I would probably have to give out the C and A's as follows:

C - Scott Gomez -> I know he's new, but he can play well in all situations, he's our #1 center and he's a veteran.

A - Josh Gorges

A - Maxim Lapierre