The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

Bourne

C = Maxim Lapierre

A = Josh Gorges

A = Andrei Markov

There was an era when Captains were the hardest working players on their team and not just named because they were the biggest salary or talent : Mike Keane, Guy Carbonneau, Bob Gainey etc... Lapierre is the hardest worker on the team, is great with the media in both languages but mostly French of course, he's young, lives in the City and can't be expected to do much more than he already does.

The problem is guys like Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Hammer and Spacek may not respect a 24 year old captain!

lol...I had mentioned Lapierre a few months ago but everyone laught at me...how things change... :lol:

Markov is definately an A but he doesn't have the personality to be a C.

I didn't laugh as I followed your post with the same idea. Now actually it's more realistic. I'm not sure how the vets would react but they maybe would welcome someone else to take the heat off of them. I guess I'm thinking Lapierre is young but has a future with the organization, he is hard working, appears to be well liked and of course speaks French. So I strike Hamrlik and write in Lapierre instead, my original vote. LOL The vets are either new or have trouble with a language barrier or won't be with the team that long.

Who would the players vote for to be captain?

I didn't laugh as I followed your post with the same idea. Now actually it's more realistic. I'm not sure how the vets would react but they maybe would welcome someone else to take the heat off of them. I guess I'm thinking Lapierre is young but has a future with the organization, he is hard working, appears to be well liked and of course speaks French. So I strike Hamrlik and write in Lapierre instead, my original vote. LOL The vets are either new or have trouble with a language barrier or won't be with the team that long.

Who would the players vote for to be captain?

If I was Martin, I would probably go with As for a few months but from my experience in hockey, the choice of a captain if usually pretty obvious. I just don't know enough about the new guys.

I don't know about Markov... he IS the leader on the ice, but this team had so many problem outside of the ice the past couple of years... I would go with three A for the moment, and then, maybe Gomez!

Teams already typically have 3 A's and 1 C, you are not allowed 4 A's and 0 C's though. Rules against that.

I don't know about Markov... he IS the leader on the ice, but this team had so many problem outside of the ice the past couple of years... I would go with three A for the moment, and then, maybe Gomez!

Markov was never involved in any of the off ice issues for one thing.

Second,with a fresh new start this season,I am confident that there will not be any shenanigans going on after what this team had to put up with last season.

Here's to a new beginning....And give the darn C to Markov,if our captain does not come back....

Which I'm hoping he does.

In which then,we can close this thread. :D

When you let your captain and all your assistant captains go at the same time(could be a first in NHL history), it leaves a bit of a leadership vacuum, don't you think?

Montreal was already a team lacking in character and leadership, and now we have rid ourselves of what precious little we did possess.

We are now officially the most spineless, leaderless and rudderless team in the league.

Personally, I don't think anyone on the current roster wants the job.

They'll probably have to draw straws, with the loser having to don the "C".

Or maybe they'll move it around regularly, so as not to unnecessarily punish any one player more than the others.

PS: Please don't remove Komisarek's name from the candidate's list.

I can't vote for him (AGAIN) as I have already cast my ballot, but I'd love to see some more votes for the Komikazee.

Go Mikey!

We suck.

When you let your captain and all your assistant captains go at the same time(could be a first in NHL history), it leaves a bit of a leadership vacuum, don't you think?

Montreal was already a team lacking in character and leadership, and now we have rid ourselves of what precious little we did possess.

We are now officially the most spineless, leaderless and rudderless team in the league.

Personally, I don't think anyone on the current roster wants the job.

They'll probably have to draw straws, with the loser having to don the "C".

Or maybe they'll move it around regularly, so as not to unnecessarily punish any one player more than the others.

PS: Please don't remove Komisarek's name from the candidate's list.

I can't vote for him (AGAIN) as I have already cast my ballot, but I'd love to see some more votes for the Komikazee.

Go Mikey!

We suck.

so this means you wont be hangin around to watch the season, or are you like others and find every negative you can possibly dig up on the team, bi!#h and complain then if the team starts doin well then your back on the bandwagon, i know your kind.

And please, Komisarek dude, lets not act like we just let our ace in the hole, our future, our only hope go, Bob Gainey tried to sign him he said no and went to Toronto, lets forget about him, move on, he really wasnt what he is hyped up to be, he will do good in toronto when he lines up with four other goons(+Kaberle) on thier blueline, I admit, they will have an intimidating defense but he doesnt quite fit into our plans, so see ya next season Mike, then maybe in the playoffs 2 years from now, Hal Gill will fit in just fine

Give Markov, Cammalleri and Gomez the 'A's.

No 'C' until the all-star break, and by that point it will be obvious as to who our next captain will be. I'm still hopeful that Saku returns like reports say he might, but if not, I would think our biggest aquisition would be Cammer, give him the C come January.

And please, Komisarek dude, lets not act like we just let our ace in the hole, our future, our only hope go, Bob Gainey tried to sign him he said no and went to Toronto,

BG tried to sign him the day before he became an UFA

If BG had any real intention of signing him he would of done it during the year but he has this un written rule of not negotiating during the year and it has cost him , again

Anyways Komisareck brought zero offense to Montreal but he was big , blocked shots and hit , sometimes

And he got beat up by Lucic all the time , which I could never understand

I think Montreal needs a big , tough defencemen but those are the breaks

We now have Hall Gill , who when the Leafs signed him , we all laughed at the Leafs and look now

As for who gets the " C" - there isn't anyone on the current roster deserving to wear the "C " for the Montreal Canadiens

Give them 3 A's