The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mac Bennett

sssfffs

From what I've heard from people who've kept very close tabs on the development camp, he's been one of the best defenceman there, shwowng all around great two-way play. He has a great shot from the point.

He has a little side career as a music producer, and apparently he's quite good at that too.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've heard from people who've kept very close tabs on the development camp, he's been one of the best defenceman there, shwowng all around great two-way play. He has a great shot from the point.

He has a little side career as a music producer, and apparently he's quite good at that too.

I got to watch him pretty much night-in night-out last year because I have season tickets. Dude's good. Really good skater with decent vision and an accurate shot with speed that can surprise people.

• 5 months later...

Interesting article on Bennett:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20140201-mac-bennett-set-to-take-the-next-step-in-his-hockey-career.ece

"I talk to Patrice Brisebois, (Montreal’s) player development guy, after every weekend. He tells me that he likes my progress, he likes where I’m going, likes my game. He says my best asset is my skating, and I would have to agree with him,” said Bennett, who played a year at La Salle Academy before tranferring to Hotchkiss."

“Mac is a leader in every sense of the word,” says legendary Michigan coach Red Berenson. You spend five minutes talking to him about any subject and you’ll say this kid’s got confidence, he’s got self-esteem, he knows what’s right, he’s an athlete, and a competitor. He’s all in with this program and this team.”

Oh and take a look at this absolute beauty!

This guy is legit. I watch him almost every game here in Ann Arbor, and he is every bit as dominant as Trouba and Merril. At least the eye test tells me so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb up the depth chart really fast next year, he's smart, an awesome skater, and his passing and shot is really underrated IMO. I'm excited to see what he can do next year. The eye test tells me he is a possession-driving player. A little bit like Diaz actually. Doens't catch the eyes of casual fans, but man he does so many things well.

• 3 weeks later...

The Habs very near future is another Stanley Cup, it has taken three GM's Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier's demise along with Marc Bergevin's steely vision of returning the Habs to their former glory. Mac Bennett will be just one of the cogs in the wheel on a very long road back to glory, thanks S Bah.

This guy is legit. I watch him almost every game here in Ann Arbor, and he is every bit as dominant as Trouba and Merril. At least the eye test tells me so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb up the depth chart really fast next year, he's smart, an awesome skater, and his passing and shot is really underrated IMO. I'm excited to see what he can do next year. The eye test tells me he is a possession-driving player. A little bit like Diaz actually. Doens't catch the eyes of casual fans, but man he does so many things well.

• 1 month later...

Signed to a two year ELC.

Wonder if he will join Hamilton now in their unlikely push for the playoffs. I think his NCAA season is over.

His NCAA career is done after Michigan (in my completely biased opinion, of course) got snubbed from the tournament. There were rumors going around on campus that he might stay for the rest of the semester to finish his classes, but I doubt that's the case.

You go to the University of Michigan?

Yep. I have season hockey tickets. That's why he's the only prospect I know something about! :lol:

On edit: Just saw that his contract kicks in next year, so unless he negotiates a separate contract with Hamilton he won't be playing pro until next fall.

You must be excited about this signing, powerplay2009!

The captain of your hometown team is now a step closer to playing for your favourite NHL team!

I love Bennett's play, he's definitely one of our great prospects on D.

His old teammate Pateryn should help him ease the transition for him!

You must be excited about this signing, powerplay2009!

The captain of your hometown team is now a step closer to playing for your favourite NHL team!

I love Bennett's play, he's definitely one of our great prospects on D.

His old teammate Pateryn should help him ease the transition for him!

Oh, yeah I am! I'm actually excited for the Habs too-I think he might be surprising some people. It's a matter of how fast he can adjust to his pace of play. I would look for him to play well on Hamilton's top pairing next year with Pateryn (a former alternate captain!)

The Habs actually have quite a few former Wolverines in their system. Obviously Pacioretty is our best, but Coach Berenson is really good at developing defensively, so his forwards tend to be good without the puck and his defensemen tend to be really smart players. Which is good.

Oh, yeah I am! I'm actually excited for the Habs too-I think he might be surprising some people. It's a matter of how fast he can adjust to his pace of play. I would look for him to play well on Hamilton's top pairing next year with Pateryn (a former alternate captain!)

The Habs actually have quite a few former Wolverines in their system. Obviously Pacioretty is our best, but Coach Berenson is really good at developing defensively, so his forwards tend to be good without the puck and his defensemen tend to be really smart players. Which is good.

Maybe Berenson can come along as part of the package. Sounds like there might be a couple openings next season on the Dogs.

Maybe Berenson can come along as part of the package. Sounds like there might be a couple openings next season on the Dogs.

He's going to retire a Wolverine. He's almost 80 as it is.

He actually got the Jack Adams back in the 80s with the Blues, and had quite a career (some of it with the Habs IIRC) in his playing days, so if he did decide to move on and coach somewhere else, I wouldn't mind the Habs organization!

Without getting too off-topic here, there are actually rumors that the NHL life is starting to wear on Babcock, and when his contract expires Berenson will step down after 31 years and let Babcock take the reigns. I'll believe it when it happens (though it is worth noting Babcock really only has 1 area of the game left to conquer and his daughter goes here, so there is a connection), but a man can dream....