The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Are You Happy Or Disappointed With The New Canadiens?

Bourne

I'm very content for now with the changes. We need a captain? I'm not placing blame but how did the captain help last year? Maybe there was just too much for any captain. I'm not worried about a captain(s). Jacques Martin was through that last year with Florida.

Someone already alluded to this. I think too there were problems in the dressing room on different levels. My theory is a group of players absorbed blame for another group. It would appear high profile individual players did not get along. The players I have in mind are not signed or have been traded. I really sense Mr. Gainey is cleansing the dressing room. Maybe he isn't finished. It also bugs the bejeepers out of me that the traded and unsigned players were injured at about the same time last year. I'm not questioning the injuries but it seriously bugs me that when these players came back is when the team started to self destruct.

As for the players acquired I guess time will tell if they were good choices. I'm choosing to ignore the contracts as another poster indicated he/she is going to do. I have to wait and see what a new coach with essentially a new team and mindset is going to produce. So far I like what I see. We have some new players on offence who are downright pests, can score and create space for our other skilled players.

I think our defence is improved. Spacek I assume will support Markov on the powerplay. Whether or not Gainey can add another D-man, there is a chance Hamrlik will actually have a consistent D partner in Spacek. I think that would help him tremendously and couple that with a healthy Hammer we'll see what we saw a couple of years ago from him. As far as I'm concerned Gill is Komi's replacement.

Down the road maybe Gainey isn't finished. If any of the young D-men live up to some expectations I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamrlik traded before the deadline. Another team won't be absorbing the full cap hit for next year and there's only a year left after that. S Kost. I don't want to be moved but I think it's possible.

All in all I'm pleased and content and will take a wait and see attitude without worrying about contracts. Overall I like the balance of experience and youth. Overpaying is synonymous with Montreal. It makes the GM's job much more challenging. Good luck Mr. Gainey.

Im happy. I was skeptical at first with gomez but when he brought in gionta to play with him i remembered their chemistry in NJ and understood what he was doing. Now, I think he has to finish resigning kovalev or another top-6 to play on the second line with plex and AKOS and i think the team could be very good next year

this is the first time in the salary cap era that a team had 10 free agents to resign and apparently chose to let them all left for no compensation, despite that fact that three of those players had recently been acquired for high draft picks. oddly not only did the team not resign free agents but discarded a first round pick and an RFA. further, the organization gutted its NHL and AHL staffs. all this prior to a pending ownership change.

the team has now lost five first round picks in five years. in a salary cap environment, no team can overcome giving away top talent with entry level salaries. it is impossible to win with free agents. the math does not work. veterans are too expensive relative to rookies. and so regardless of how the team looks on paper, the structural flaw of having lost so many prospects will destroy the team before it can succeed. the team has lost far too many defensemen and prospective defensement (beauchemin, hainsey, komisarek, streit, souray, mcdonough, valentenko) and will be too old at that position to protect their young goalie or support their speedy forwards.

what could not be achieved in five years and a lockout was clumsily and desperately executed in a few days. it is impossible to determine how this team will do next season. however, it will take at least one to two seasons for this team to develop an identity and chemistry with themselves and their coach. it is highly doubtful to me that gainey will remain in the position long enough to see if this failed or succeeded.

i believe this is just too much upheaval without much planning. if there was planning, the team would have been a seller of free agents last year instead of a buyer of free agents. once again, the top line is no longer home grown. While gomez and gionta had chemistry for one of almost three seasons when they were part of the EGG line (remember the star of that line was Patrick Elias) that line did not take off until Elias returned from injury to spark a huge winning streak for the Devils. To be clear, Elias was the star of the EGG line, not Gomez or Gionta.

This upheaval reminds me of how gainey added turgeon and audette. two one way players to the Stars, beacuse he did not want to pay up for Hull. gainey soon left and the stars have not been the same team.

this is the first time in the salary cap era that a team had 10 free agents to resign and apparently chose to let them all left for no compensation, despite that fact that three of those players had recently been acquired for high draft picks. oddly not only did the team not resign free agents but discarded a first round pick and an RFA. further, the organization gutted its NHL and AHL staffs. all this prior to a pending ownership change.

the team has now lost five first round picks in five years. in a salary cap environment, no team can overcome giving away top talent with entry level salaries. it is impossible to win with free agents. the math does not work. veterans are too expensive relative to rookies. and so regardless of how the team looks on paper, the structural flaw of having lost so many prospects will destroy the team before it can succeed. the team has lost far too many defensemen and prospective defensement (beauchemin, hainsey, komisarek, streit, souray, mcdonough, valentenko) and will be too old at that position to protect their young goalie or support their speedy forwards.

what could not be achieved in five years and a lockout was clumsily and desperately executed in a few days. it is impossible to determine how this team will do next season. however, it will take at least one to two seasons for this team to develop an identity and chemistry with themselves and their coach. it is highly doubtful to me that gainey will remain in the position long enough to see if this failed or succeeded.

i believe this is just too much upheaval without much planning. if there was planning, the team would have been a seller of free agents last year instead of a buyer of free agents. once again, the top line is no longer home grown. While gomez and gionta had chemistry for one of almost three seasons when they were part of the EGG line (remember the star of that line was Patrick Elias) that line did not take off until Elias returned from injury to spark a huge winning streak for the Devils. To be clear, Elias was the star of the EGG line, not Gomez or Gionta.

This upheaval reminds me of how gainey added turgeon and audette. two one way players to the Stars, beacuse he did not want to pay up for Hull. gainey soon left and the stars have not been the same team.

BG would have been bashed either way if he did not make moves he was bashed if he didn't make moves he was bashed. so to put it simple

your damned if you do and your damned if you don't

I'm somewhat happy with the moves made yesterday. Sad to see Koivu go. However we did overspend a bit on Gionta IMO. My only wish now is to save some of the cap space we have left for next year should the cap go down so we can sign Price since he is a RFA.

i have to truly say that i am surprised that we got all those players and that if the young guys like price, d'agostini, pacioretty, the kostitsyns play well, we may win the cup.

koivu=gomez faster, younger and more skilled

kovalev=cammalleri, faster a lot younger and a better shooter/scorer

tanguay=gionta, faster and more skilled

schneider=spacek, more skilled defensively and younger

komisarek=gill, a lot worse but gill is bigger and comes at half the price

none of these players are prone to injuries and they make our team better

I think Bob did a very good job in the past couple of days. I like the skill and talent up front, the only thing I 'd like to see is a big center. Having said that, I have a feeling he is not done reworking this lineup. My gut is telling me he is going to add someone via free agency or trade (as we now have an abundance of forwards). I'm glad some larger name players are willing to come here, good to see!

i have to truly say that i am surprised that we got all those players and that if the young guys like price, d'agostini, pacioretty, the kostitsyns play well, we may win the cup.

koivu=gomez faster, younger and more skilled

kovalev=cammalleri, faster a lot younger and a better shooter/scorer

tanguay=gionta, faster and more skilled

schneider=spacek, more skilled defensively and younger

komisarek=gill, a lot worse but gill is bigger and comes at half the price

none of these players are prone to injuries and they make our team better

couldnt agree more... but komi wasent that great either

BG would have been bashed either way if he did not make moves he was bashed if he didn't make moves he was bashed. so to put it simple

your damned if you do and your damned if you don't

no, you are damned if you don't for six years but do in one day. Gainey put himself in the most unusual position any GM has ever inflicted upon an organization. the errors were compounded over many years. gainey has to be judged on his body of work which falls short in the critical area of developing and maintaining young inexepensive players or trading them for a reasonable return. you can't discard prospects and pay up for free agent veterans and expect to beat anyone.

no team can cast off their top drafted players and replace them with above market price veterans and compete.

Change is change, which can be a good thing. We'll have to see what happens.

But Im not particularly pleased when looking at the team.

PROS: We still have more than enough speed, passers and scorers. Spacek is a decent upgrade from not-the-same-anymore Komi. The team's a little younger

CONTRAS: Where are our leaders? I feel like I can step on the Canadiens now: we're a team of midgets who'll get crushed along the boards. Could have been better signings on the RW instead of Gionta (Hossa @ 5mil, Havlat @ 5mil) to give us a bit more size. More Ds more Ds more Ds, I take it Subban and Weber won't be playing this year, right?

QUESTION: So.. someone tell me why we ABSOLUTELY needed a french-speaking coach when we have no more french players (except Laps, Lats, Laraq)?

blah, what can you do but accept. At least Bob wasn't as catatonic this year as he used to be.

no, you are damned if you don't for six years but do in one day. Gainey put himself in the most unusual position any GM has ever inflicted upon an organization. the errors were compounded over many years. gainey has to be judged on his body of work which falls short in the critical area of developing and maintaining young inexepensive players or trading them for a reasonable return. you can't discard prospects and pay up for free agent veterans and expect to beat anyone.

no team can cast off their top drafted players and replace them with above market price veterans and compete.

What young players did we trade to gain any of these players? higgins is the only one and he was ALWAYS the one in trade talks and our defence prospect in the gomez trade. so please tell me who did we "cast off" komisarek? the guy that did not even call BG back with a counter off and took 500k more to go to toronto? I wont deny i am not happy with BG in the 5 year plan but its a two way street here BG may have tried to get these players back or the others did NOT WANT TO COME BACK. We got upgrades on koivu and tanguay in my opinion this off season. the only question mark is how good gionta then kovy. So we lose koivu/lang/kovy/komi/higgins/mcdougal(SP?) and bring in gomez/gionta/cammi

so the only player we did DRAFT that is young and we lost is higgins and mcdougal. So please tell me what would you have done? You have to know by now if we are in the play offs their is no chance BG or the montreal fans/media will even consider sending most of our UFA for draft picks so you can throw that idea out the window. BG 5 year plan failed fine it didn't work so hes going in a different direction with some vets mixed in with young players YES WE STILL HAVE YOUNG PLAYERS PLAYING FOR US! All i hear and read is "oh god BG 5 year plan failed lets fire him" so who do we hire to replace him to do a better job without making mistakes? if you can answer these questions truthfully with some legitament and REALISTIC things that YOU yourself can do then please do tell because as i see it we are fans and nothing more. I do not wanna see unrealistic trades being posted because guess what all our trade value for every habs player last season is at an all time low so you choose to trade them for 3rd or 4th round draft picks? when they clearly ALL played poorly?

Gomez, Gionta, Cammalerri, Spacek, Gill

for

Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek

On paper, do we get any better? Maybe, if only that Cammalerri is a finisher (which we need) opposed to having 3 great playmakers with noone to bury the puck.

Gomez and Gionta have ONE good season between the two. Not one EACH. They SHARED one in 2006. I believe that was the only time either player scored more than 70 pts.

So even if Gomez and Gionta can rekindle their magic, we only get marginally better. Marginally better = 1st round playoff loss. Here's the kicker though:

WE ARE SADDLED WITH THESE ENORMOUS CONTRACTS FOR FIVE YEARS!

And with the cap likely to go DOWN that pretty much means we're screwed for 5 years. And when Carey Price's up for RFA, someone is going to send up a BIG offer sheet and eat the compensation. We'll be at the cap and unable to match.

So this is Gainey's group to win the Cup, and I don't see that happening with these players. $30 million spent in cap space and not a single impact player. Not a single guy who can carry a team on his back. None. We let two of them walk in Koivu and Kovalev. Plus we'll be unable to acquire one due to our overspending and new found cap issues.

This will go down as the darkest week in Habs history.

Gomez, Gionta, Cammalerri, Spacek, Gill

for

Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek

On paper, do we get any better? Maybe, if only that Cammalerri is a finisher (which we need) opposed to having 3 great playmakers with noone to bury the puck.

Gomez and Gionta have ONE good season between the two. Not one EACH. They SHARED one in 2006. I believe that was the only time either player scored more than 70 pts.

So even if Gomez and Gionta can rekindle their magic, we only get marginally better. Marginally better = 1st round playoff loss. Here's the kicker though:

WE ARE SADDLED WITH THESE ENORMOUS CONTRACTS FOR FIVE YEARS!

And with the cap likely to go DOWN that pretty much means we're screwed for 5 years. And when Carey Price's up for RFA, someone is going to send up a BIG offer sheet and eat the compensation. We'll be at the cap and unable to match.

So this is Gainey's group to win the Cup, and I don't see that happening with these players. $30 million spent in cap space and not a single impact player. Not a single guy who can carry a team on his back. None. We let two of them walk in Koivu and Kovalev. Plus we'll be unable to acquire one due to our overspending and new found cap issues.

This will go down as the darkest week in Habs history.

in 5 yrs we will have 3 quality fwds. in 5 yrs, hamrlik gill spacek will be gone along with their salary, and we van move some guys. hey if lattendresse wants big money, then i'll help him pack and give him a ride to the airport

What young players did we trade to gain any of these players? higgins is the only one and he was ALWAYS the one in trade talks and our defence prospect in the gomez trade. so please tell me who did we "cast off" komisarek? the guy that did not even call BG back with a counter off and took 500k more to go to toronto? I wont deny i am not happy with BG in the 5 year plan but its a two way street here BG may have tried to get these players back or the others did NOT WANT TO COME BACK. We got upgrades on koivu and tanguay in my opinion this off season. the only question mark is how good gionta then kovy. So we lose koivu/lang/kovy/komi/higgins/mcdougal(SP?) and bring in gomez/gionta/cammi

so the only player we did DRAFT that is young and we lost is higgins and mcdougal. So please tell me what would you have done? You have to know by now if we are in the play offs their is no chance BG or the montreal fans/media will even consider sending most of our UFA for draft picks so you can throw that idea out the window. BG 5 year plan failed fine it didn't work so hes going in a different direction with some vets mixed in with young players YES WE STILL HAVE YOUNG PLAYERS PLAYING FOR US! All i hear and read is "oh god BG 5 year plan failed lets fire him" so who do we hire to replace him to do a better job without making mistakes? if you can answer these questions truthfully with some legitament and REALISTIC things that YOU yourself can do then please do tell because as i see it we are fans and nothing more. I do not wanna see unrealistic trades being posted because guess what all our trade value for every habs player last season is at an all time low so you choose to trade them for 3rd or 4th round draft picks? when they clearly ALL played poorly?

Ask yourself a simple and obvious question if a guy fails over five years how can he do it right in one day? If a team casts off five first round picks how can it compete. if a team trades three draft picks for pending ufa's and resigns none of them how does it recover? the mistakes are structural and will take more than five games to be noticed. look at how the team and the organization are structured, don't look at the individual players.

In the present: Not bad, could have been much worse. But I'm not happy, moreso less disappointed than I was expecting. However, I would have preferred we brought back Koivu and kept Higgins (combined probably would equal about Gomez's salary); and not lost a good prospect. Cammy replacing Tanguay is a good move in my opinion. Gionta over Kovalev is very debatable but there is some logic to it, particularly under Martin. Spacek and Gill are both good players, although our defense now lacks a #2 guy. We went from being overloaded with third pairing dmen to being overloaded with second pairing dmen: which is better, but we still lack someone to play 30 minutes alongside Markov and never really replaced Komisarek. Lang is also a loss that hurts, and we did lose some depth (although we probably have kids who can fill in).

In the future, this is absolutely awful unless the cap suddenly starts shooting up. One problem is we are once again in a situation where in 2 years all our dmen are UFAs and in 5 years our top 3 forwards are UFAs: could Gainey not space these guys out better? The other problem is we could have a lot of trouble re-signing our own guys when their contracts are up and they want raises. We have 18 million locked into 3 forwards (none of them elite) for the next 5 years: that is going to be a major hindrance if some of our young players start performing like they are capable of and then want a salary to match this performance. If the cap decreases, this will be even worse: we have very little salary coming off the books next season. In a way you almost have to hope Price doesn't do too well this season, otherwise he may start demanding 5 million or something and it will be painful to free that up.

Ask yourself a simple and obvious question if a guy fails over five years how can he do it right in one day? If a team casts off five first round picks how can it compete. if a team trades three draft picks for pending ufa's and resigns none of them how does it recover? the mistakes are structural and will take more than five games to be noticed. look at how the team and the organization are structured, don't look at the individual players.

true but please answer my questions how would you have done things? realistic trades etc etc not counting drafts because in drafts its all about luck and we have not truely tanked before. so we were always in the middle of the pack when come draft time. I do not see us being like detroit where they have good scouts and get lucky. It seems the only way to win a cup these days and to build a good franchise for years to come is to tank it for half a decade and try and get lucky with getting the first over all pick OR do what the St louis blues are doing with keith tkchuk sign him to one year deals and trade him come trade deadline. So we lost players not picks because we as a team did not PICK these players. As for what bob has done only time will tell and at the end of the 5 years we will have 5 more 1st round picks when their contracts are up. I see no serious problems we lost as you call them "1st round picks" but we also got some 1st round picks in the players we got. If that is what your trying to say when you say we lost kovy koivu etc etc.

Again i do agree bob failed in his plan but what would you rather he do? sign the same dang players he has signed the past couple seasons? Just to be bashed for doing so and not getting new players? because as i see it the players we did have did not what so ever attract any big name UFA's Gomez was the main link to getting gionta and cammi to sign with us which was a pretty good move. People were bashing gaining for getting gomez including me until it all came to play and i believe HE DID have a plan once vinny was no longer an option. He did the best he could for what he had and he did a pretty damn good job of it ON PAPER that is.

Archived