The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Are You Happy Or Disappointed With The New Canadiens?

Bourne

The more I think about it, the more i dislike Gionta's contract.. before i was just thinking about that 7.35 gomez number, now im past that.. but 5 years at 5 for gionta.. ouch

Oh well, thats a future problem. As for now i can't wait for the season to start!!

I'm happy with most of it. There is no question change was required. Sometimes the most difficult thing to change is how people on the team feel about the team. I think the guys last year had their mind in so many places, they had none left for the ice. Changing the key personnel on the team may be the only way to fix that. Say what you want about Kovalev, Koivu, Komi etc but the attitude they bring to the team, good and/or bad can only be changed with their departure. Now the young guys have a fresh perspective and fresh, new hard working influences. And the new guys have won...a lot! There is a ton of value in that in itself. This team now has speed, character, imagination, scoring and good puck moving ability up front as well as a fresh outlook. My concerns are the D and goaltending. I see a top 2 in Markov and a whole bunch of 5 and 6 dmen, although in fairness, some I don't know well. As for the goalies, there is certainly potential, which may be realized with further maturing, but it better happen soon. IMO, I'd still get rid of SK. I don't see him bringing anything positive to this team, but I am willing to see how he does this year and give him a chance to prove himself. For the past many years, I've been waiting for the old guard to reach it's potential and they rarely did. So, let's move on. I look forward to the new season.

I'm happy with most of it. There is no question change was required. Sometimes the most difficult thing to change is how people on the team feel about the team. I think the guys last year had their mind in so many places, they had none left for the ice. Changing the key personnel on the team may be the only way to fix that. Say what you want about Kovalev, Koivu, Komi etc but the attitude they bring to the team, good and/or bad can only be changed with their departure. Now the young guys have a fresh perspective and fresh, new hard working influences. And the new guys have won...a lot! There is a ton of value in that in itself. This team now has speed, character, imagination, scoring and good puck moving ability up front as well as a fresh outlook. My concerns are the D and goaltending. I see a top 2 in Markov and a whole bunch of 5 and 6 dmen, although in fairness, some I don't know well. As for the goalies, there is certainly potential, which may be realized with further maturing, but it better happen soon. IMO, I'd still get rid of SK. I don't see him bringing anything positive to this team, but I am willing to see how he does this year and give him a chance to prove himself. For the past many years, I've been waiting for the old guard to reach it's potential and they rarely did. So, let's move on. I look forward to the new season.

Not bad at all,I'm with ya...let's give this team a chance to prove itself,I for one am hoping for good things from our habs this season.....Hope we'll not disappointed. :D

GOHABSGO.

I am extremely happy about the signings of the Canadians organization. I think that they have done a great job on getting defence who can now help Carey stand out this upcoming season! The forwards are really good, i am happy we reunited the gionta&gomez duo. Cammalleri is a great goal scorer, We never had a 40+ goal scorer in a long time! I hope all goes good!

A guy I train was trying to convince me that the Leafs had a better team then the habs this year. He said because they have the best defense in the league that they will go far. I asked him who their number 1 Centre was and he couldn't even answer. When I told him John Mitchell was his team's number one centre he then said "well... Montreal signed a bunch of midgets" and when I gave him the list of lines to balance out size and scoring he seemed kinda upset... probably cause I trumped him.

Then he was talking about Price being inconsistent and overrated. I just said "and Toskala?" and he mumbled a bit trying to avert what I just said.

God I love messing with Leafs fans. They're so dellusional. I'm sure many of them still think they can win the cup this year.

A guy I train was trying to convince me that the Leafs had a better team then the habs this year. He said because they have the best defense in the league that they will go far. I asked him who their number 1 Centre was and he couldn't even answer. When I told him John Mitchell was his team's number one centre he then said "well... Montreal signed a bunch of midgets" and when I gave him the list of lines to balance out size and scoring he seemed kinda upset... probably cause I trumped him.

Then he was talking about Price being inconsistent and overrated. I just said "and Toskala?" and he mumbled a bit trying to avert what I just said.

God I love messing with Leafs fans. They're so dellusional. I'm sure many of them still think they can win the cup this year.

I thought Grabs was their No1 centre? Or was it Kuleman? Or was it Hagman? I can't remember.... :lol:

I don't know. I don't like that Koivu and Kovalev are both gone. But the team might be far better over the next 5 seasons with the moves made this summer by BG. Our team is a lot younger. I think that automatically with the new defenceman, new coach, and some defensively aware forwards that our team is significantly better defensively. Will our team be able to score? This is the big question. I think that Weber or Spacek will have to put up huge PP numbers to help our team PP. I also feel that our team will be three forward lines with minimal ice time for the 4th line. IMO this is how a good team should use its forward lines. I am currently disappointed that Koivu and Kovalev are gone from our team. I am not happy with the new team roster. But I am fully prepared to jump onto the bandwagon as I think that this team could be better then any of the "experts" think. I think Montreal could finish a strong 4th place in the East. Afterall I think Carbo was a huge reason for the failure called last season.

A guy I train was trying to convince me that the Leafs had a better team then the habs this year. He said because they have the best defense in the league that they will go far

You should have saved minutes you'll never get back, and stopped talking to him once he said the bolded part...

Best defense in the league?? They are actually considerably worse than their defense was 3 or 4 years ago & arguably worse than last year.

I think this is gonna be one of the best seasons we've had in a while. ;)

I couldn't disagree more, this will definitely NOT be one of our best seasons in a while, everyone is over-estimating Gomez and Gionta who have had horrible point productions in their past few seasons. Gomez (70 -> 60 -> 58) and Gionta (53 -> 60 -> 45). We have one forward who is progressing (Cammalleri 47 -> 80 -> 84). <Edit> Make your point without insulting other members. -weepingminotaur I believe we will make the playoffs, but we will definitely not get tops in our division, maybe 6th or 7th place.

P.S. Anyone who thinks i hate the habs is wrong, i love them, i just have "constructive criticism"

I couldn't disagree more, this will definitely NOT be one of our best seasons in a while, everyone is over-estimating Gomez and Gionta who have had horrible point productions in their past few seasons. Gomez (70 -> 60 -> 58) and Gionta (53 -> 60 -> 45). We have one forward who is progressing (Cammalleri 47 -> 80 -> 84). I believe we will make the playoffs, but we will definitely not get tops in our division, maybe 6th or 7th place.

P.S. Anyone who thinks i hate the habs is wrong, i love them, i just have "constructive criticism"

Point trends can be important in assessing a player, however, there is much more to evaluating a player's performance depending on the makeup of a team (coaching, linemates and support etc.). The team that BG has put together may surprise even you :D

I think biggest reason to win a cup is goalie.After Roy left us we dont have been any goalie who can win a cup.I hope that some period Price can to do the job,but i have my doubts.i hope we sign players like Fernandes to backup price and trade halak somewhere else.I also think we need to trade hamrlik away and but Subban or Weber replace him.I like hamrlik but its time to give a space our young players.Ithink this team is not ready to yet win a cup, but who knows! sorry my bls english

• 1 month later...

I'm Happy with what a see less the shots on net. Who knows, maybe price is one of those tenders that needs a lot of shots on net to stay hot. I miss Kovalev, but feel great about Gomez and Gionta. These guys are clutch players and there when you need them, they have proved that in the 1st two games. Also they are proven in the play offs, provided we get there. Not so sure about Gil, his size is nice but he is very slow, and with our new blue line injury this could be trouble for sure.

It would nice to se Suban or Weber come up for a while. I also think big George needs more ice time.

Archived