Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
franck5890

Curtis Sanford

48 posts in this topic

I am beginning to wonder with the number of games he has been playing if Jaroslav is going to be traded.

Is possible.

I am beginning to wonder with the number of games he has been playing if Jaroslav is going to be traded.

Or Price?

Sanford was a capable backup when he played for the Canucks two years ago backing Luongo, so if worse came to worst the Habs can always call Sanford up.

I believe he would have to clear waivers (again!) which would probably happen - yes if he is needed he certainly would be very capable.

I don't see that happening though.

I believe he would have to clear waivers (again!) which would probably happen - yes if he is needed he certainly would be very capable.

I don't see that happening though.

I imagine that would be a case of re entry waivers,, meaning he could get picked up at half his NHL salary ( is that correct???). If the Habs were to do this,, they would have to be very cautious and aware of another team needing a roster goaltender. It would suck to lose him in that manner. Is there an emergency call up rule that would exclude him from having to be put on re entry waivers???

Sanford would be an adequate backup for Price if Auld gets injured.

Sanford played his first game of the season tonight beating the Manitoba Moose 3-1, it really should have been a shutout as his D hung him out to dry on the lone goal - considering he hadn't played in many months he looked sharp - good news for the Bulldogs AND the Habs! :D

Sanford played his first game of the season tonight beating the Manitoba Moose 3-1, it really should have been a shutout as his D hung him out to dry on the lone goal - considering he hadn't played in many months he looked sharp - good news for the Bulldogs AND the Habs! :D

Well Sanford pretty much stole the game for Hamilton another shutout.If need be I'm sure he would make a great backup for Carey.

Well Sanford pretty much stole the game for Hamilton another shutout.If need be I'm sure he would make a great backup for Carey.

I'm not a huge Auld fan, he's never been a stand-out goalie his whole career, so to me whether it's Sanford or Auld isn't a huge difference, and the main difference is that Auld makes a bit more money which could have been spent elsewhere...

Either way, as a backup neither will be playing more than 10-15 games and as a replacement in the event Price gets injured, neither is a desirable option, so to me it's six one way and half a dozen the other.

He's currently the best goalie in the AHL

27 Games played

1.72 GAA

939 Save Percentage

He's currently the best goalie in the AHL

27 Games played

1.72 GAA

939 Save Percentage

The question is whether he could do the same job as Auld for less money... I was personally a little disappointed to see the Habs sign Auld, when I didn't think Sanford or Desjardins were much of a drop-off and would have been cheaper. Auld's done a decent job, save for his last outing, but if you're paying a guy to play 8-10 games a year, would we really have been any worse off giving that job to Sanford instead and spending the extra few K's on upgrading somewhere else?

I don't know. I'm sure in pure ability there isn't much of a drop off, if any, between Auld and a guy like Sandford or Desjardin. But Auld seems to have the ability to play a pretty decent game when he goes long stretches without playing. I don't know if the other two would be as effective in that scenario. Also being a veteran and the support he can provide to a starter probably has some value, though who knows.

I've been happy and feel Auld has done what he's needed to do this year.

Auld seems to have the ability to play a pretty decent game when he goes long stretches without playing.

This

Also being a veteran and the support he can provide to a starter probably has some value, though who knows.

And this.

I've been happy and feel Auld has done what he's needed to do this year.

Agreed. Its no slight on sandford, but I think Auld is still the better choice in the bigs. Its not like $1m is a ton of money for a backup or anything.

This

And this.

Agreed. Its no slight on sandford, but I think Auld is still the better choice in the bigs. Its not like $1m is a ton of money for a backup or anything.

This. Besides, I don't think Sanford can currently carry the load of playing in the NHL as a back-up he seems to be close to retiring, likely after this season if you ask me.

This. Besides, I don't think Sanford can currently carry the load of playing in the NHL as a back-up he seems to be close to retiring, likely after this season if you ask me.

Why would Sanford retire? He's 31. He's one of the top goalies in the AHL. I think he could easily be a back-up in the NHL and I don't see why he couldn't play 15 games a year for us, especially when he'd be cheaper than Auld. Sanford's been a back-up before, I'm sure he could handle playing sparingly. He even shared time with Desjardins last year and he'll do the same going forward with Mayer this year. I just think to save 400k under the cap, he's not that much of a drop-off from Auld.

Why would Sanford retire? He's 31. He's one of the top goalies in the AHL. I think he could easily be a back-up in the NHL and I don't see why he couldn't play 15 games a year for us, especially when he'd be cheaper than Auld. Sanford's been a back-up before, I'm sure he could handle playing sparingly. He even shared time with Desjardins last year and he'll do the same going forward with Mayer this year. I just think to save 400k under the cap, he's not that much of a drop-off from Auld.

In interviews I've seen that is clearly not his intention - he seems to still want another shot at the NHL, albeit as a backup - he is comfortable with his role in the AHL but would be happy at one more shot in the Bigs. I think he is certainly capable of it based on his performance here - only doubt might be he has had a few bouts of injuries.

In interviews I've seen that is clearly not his intention - he seems to still want another shot at the NHL, albeit as a backup - he is comfortable with his role in the AHL but would be happy at one more shot in the Bigs. I think he is certainly capable of it based on his performance here - only doubt might be he has had a few bouts of injuries.

Sanford is a better goalie than Auld in my opinion,it's good to know the Habs can always call him up if there are injuries.Knock on Wood!

Not sure what point you were debating here, but I was also saying that I think Sanford can play in the NHL and that he could possibly do what Auld does for cheaper. I'd have no problem seeing him as the back-up in Auld's place if we could save 400k and spend that to upgrade somewhere else.

Not sure what point you were debating here, but I was also saying that I think Sanford can play in the NHL and that he could possibly do what Auld does for cheaper. I'd have no problem seeing him as the back-up in Auld's place if we could save 400k and spend that to upgrade somewhere else.

The person who said he was close to retirement and was winding down his career - from what Sanford said that is inaccurate

Signed with Columbus. Good luck.

Class act all the way.

I guess were going with Big mac now for Hamilton. I like him a bit better.

Good luck Curtis, maybe in Columbus you will crack the NHL line up once more!

I guess were going with Big mac now for Hamilton. I like him a bit better.

Good luck Curtis, maybe in Columbus you will crack the NHL line up once more!

Not entirely sure yet. He can sign with any team, as a UFA.

Not entirely sure yet. He can sign with any team, as a UFA.

Well I was wrong,

Good luck to both of them