The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guillaume Latendresse

I imagine Gionata and Pleks will be back on the ice tonight.

Because Laps and Pacs played last night, I think you will see a line of Lats, Gionta and Pleks this evening.

That might not be a bad thing to get a look at in the pre-season...If lats can be that; in the corners digging for the puck and throw his weight around type player on that line, then he could potentially be utilized on a scoring line in the regular season...

Welcome to another season of: As the world turns around Guilliaume Latendresse...His pundits will tell you that the only reason he has a roster spot in the first place is because he's French...And the reason he was only signed to a 1-year deal is because he's most likely gone at the end of this year.

If this is the case, BG did a poor job of setting up to trade Lats...He made the team smaller thus putting more of a sense of urgency to have bigger bodies like Lats in the line up...And if being french is the only reason to give him a spot in the line up; Then why did we bother signing Gionta, Camelleri, Gomez and Spacek; When we could have simply brought in Leblanc, Desharnais, Masse and Carle?

The reason why Lats has a place in the line up isn't bacause he fills a cultural void, but because he fill a physical void...This team likes size and hitting and Gui does both very well...And who knows, maybe with the new WINNING culture in the locker room, he'll finally have that break out season his pundits claim he's incapable of.

Either way, I will wait until the puck drops for real for any deeper analysis or criticism.

Very well said Mojo.

I imagine Gionata and Pleks will be back on the ice tonight.

Because Laps and Pacs played last night, I think you will see a line of Lats, Gionta and Pleks this evening.

According to HabsI/O, they'll be our top line for tonight. I'm curious to see how he does in an offensive role under Martin.

I wish Latendresse would start using a shorter stick. I don't know if it's just me, but I think Latendresse actually has pretty serviceable hockey sense. He crashes the crease at the right times and has gotten a lot better at cycling the puck...he just has absolutely atrocious puck control when he's pressured. He needs to keep the puck close to his body and skates and push through traffic. Take a page out of Kovalev's book, he uses a really short stick.

I wish Latendresse would start using a shorter stick. I don't know if it's just me, but I think Latendresse actually has pretty serviceable hockey sense. He crashes the crease at the right times and has gotten a lot better at cycling the puck...he just has absolutely atrocious puck control when he's pressured. He needs to keep the puck close to his body and skates and push through traffic. Take a page out of Kovalev's book, he uses a really short stick.

Short sticks have nothing to do with it... Its all about a players comfort with that stick... You can't compare Kovalevs puck handling to anyones, he is absolutely above everyone... Guys can stick handle with long sticks as well... plus i would rather not have Lats looking to his feet only to be hammered with his head down.... In my opinion this guy is earning his spot this year and I personally was extremely happy to see a player finally willing to stand in front of the net

Welcome to another season of: As the world turns around Guilliaume Latendresse...His pundits will tell you that the only reason he has a roster spot in the first place is because he's French...And the reason he was only signed to a 1-year deal is because he's most likely gone at the end of this year.

If this is the case, BG did a poor job of setting up to trade Lats...He made the team smaller thus putting more of a sense of urgency to have bigger bodies like Lats in the line up...And if being french is the only reason to give him a spot in the line up; Then why did we bother signing Gionta, Camelleri, Gomez and Spacek; When we could have simply brought in Leblanc, Desharnais, Masse and Carle?

The reason why Lats has a place in the line up isn't bacause he fills a cultural void, but because he fill a physical void...This team likes size and hitting and Gui does both very well...And who knows, maybe with the new WINNING culture in the locker room, he'll finally have that break out season his pundits claim he's incapable of.

Either way, I will wait until the puck drops for real for any deeper analysis or criticism.

There is a lot of substance to what you say. He is also on the team because we have so many smurfs, even though he is actually quite soft, lazy, and has 0 NATURAL AGGRESSION.

No doubt we will again fill up the pages and give him far more space than he deserves.

I was not very impressed with Latendresse's effort last night. A few nice hits yes, but everyone can do that. We are looking to fill up our number 6 spot on the top 2 lines, we need him to barry the chances he gets, and he did not.

glad you mentioned this. I didn't watch the whole game, but the part I did, wasn't impressed with Lats. It is way too early in the season (preseason) and I try to give him a break, but still find he is way too slow.

we will see what the season has in store for him.

I was not very impressed with Latendresse's effort last night. A few nice hits yes, but everyone can do that. We are looking to fill up our number 6 spot on the top 2 lines, we need him to barry the chances he gets, and he did not.

Really? I had the exact opposite impression of Lats last night, TBH. I agree with you, there were two or three times that he had great scoring chances but didn't quite have the dexterity to bury his shot. That sort of timing issue is not completely uncommon in pre-season, though, and you'd have to think that once he gets back into the swing of things his timing will improve.

What's harder to do, though, is to get into position to have those chances to begin with. Lats did that all last night, something that (as much as I like him) I can't really say about Patches when he had his shot with the top line. I particularly liked one play in the third last night when Gionta stripped the puck off one of the Bruins defensemen at our blue line. He and Pleky sped up the right side and got a decent shot off. Now obviously Guillaume wasn't fast enough to be right with them on the initial rush, but he skated like crazy and ended up in perfect position as a trailer to bang home the rebound. He missed the shot yesterday, but again... in my opinion having the sense to put himself in such a good scoring position is more important at the stage in the pre-season.

What i didn't like about his game last night was that he was trying to play Plecks and Giontas game not his own. He doesn't realize he is there to stick up for them and make space for them. And when they were getting pushed around after the whistle he just skated away. When Gui got pushed around after a whistle both Gionta and Placks came right in to help him, then when there both are in choke holds from trying to protect him he just skates away again leaving them there.

I know its like he is scared to go strait to the net so he has to sneak up from behind.

I don't know if it's that he's "Scared" to take it straight to the net, but I think he feels he's pretty sly sneaking around the back. He should simplify and take it to the house more often, though. Eventually goaltenders will just stay deep, and wait for the wrap-around. Maybe it work better if he could find a trailer coming down the middle, but his passing isn't as good as Gomez's.

I don't know if it's that he's "Scared" to take it straight to the net, but I think he feels he's pretty sly sneaking around the back. He should simplify and take it to the house more often, though. Eventually goaltenders will just stay deep, and wait for the wrap-around. Maybe it work better if he could find a trailer coming down the middle, but his passing isn't as good as Gomez's.

Martin won't put up with his crap like carbo did.He was scared of komi,and wouldn't drive the net. He'll have to do better than a 16 goal season to stay here this year

I remember that... Komisarek got sooky and retaliated. Nice hit by Gui.

Sure,and then Gomez had to stick up for his team after a Komi cheapshot,wjile Lats just stood there.He's on very thin ice ,like I said,with Martin.Thats's why he was benched late in the 3rd and in the OT

In OT, the play is four on four, so I don't think it was a serious benching. Martin was simply trying to roll his top-six forwards more frequently in OT (Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, AK, Cammalleri).

Thats 5 :blink:

I don't think he was one of the faves thats for sure ...only 3 players with less ice time

dags 10:32

moen 9:53

laraque 5:46

That would put him in the number 9 spot of the 12 forwards.