The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guillaume Latendresse

How many years are the Habs going to sit around and wait for Latendresse to "develop"?

It seems to be the excuse year after year for this guy, with little to no improvement.

Develop into what? John Leclair? He's one of our better 5 on 5 scorers, he does throw some hits and has been getting better and better defensively so I don't see the problem. It's not as if he has a big contract or is being force fed 1st line minutes. Even if he's done developing he's fine in his role, at his price.

Also, despite the fact you say he hasn't developed his GPG and PPG has risen every year and he's still 22 so while he's not a star and I'm willing to bet he never will be he's perfectly fine in the role we have him in currently and actually deserves more PP time and should definitely be on a scoring line over the likes of Moen.

I think the intensity of Moen and Lapierre has had a positive impact on his game so I would prefer to see where he is at in 20-30 games before looking at that option.

I've posted it before, but I think it's worth posting again: Is Lats playing better with LaPierre (and now Moen) or is he just plain playing better?

I know that everyone's in love with Lats/Laps, and why not? They've been one of the most consistant lines since our slump started last year. But is it possible that maybe it's not some magical chemistry, that maybe they're just both young players who have started to come into their own around the same time? Lats played well with Koivu and Tanguay last year too, don't forget.

I just don't see how it makes sense to give Moen a top six winger position over Latendresse. Moen's a proven commodity in this league, and he's proven that he's great in a third line role. Why take him out of that? Lats has done well on the third line with LaPierre, yes, but there's nothing to say he couldn't also do well on the top line... or at least as well as anyone else we've got right now. The argument that splitting up Lats and Laps will hurt them doesn't hold any water, IMO, at least until we try it.

Develop into what? John Leclair? He's one of our better 5 on 5 scorers, he does throw some hits and has been getting better and better defensively so I don't see the problem. It's not as if he has a big contract or is being force fed 1st line minutes. Even if he's done developing he's fine in his role, at his price.

Also, despite the fact you say he hasn't developed his GPG and PPG has risen every year and he's still 22 so while he's not a star and I'm willing to bet he never will be he's perfectly fine in the role we have him in currently and actually deserves more PP time and should definitely be on a scoring line over the likes of Moen.

That's the most depressing thing I've read all week...

That's the most depressing thing I've read all week...

Why? Look at his ice time and line mates. I mean, in terms of even strength goal scoring he was better than Gionta last year and pretty much on par with Cammalleri in ESGPG. We're still talking about a kid who played 13:37 per game last year. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys, but he can score and he probably deserves a chance on the PP to try and see what he can do there.

Anyway, my point isn't that he's going to be great or score x numbers of goals just that you're saying he's never going to develop which isn't fair because he's already a useful part and it's not like he was a top 5 pick or anything we drafted him in the 2nd round and for his salary and role he's more than adequate and the fact that some in the media decided to over hype him shouldn't be held against him.

Why? Look at his ice time and line mates. I mean, in terms of even strength goal scoring he was better than Gionta last year and pretty much on par with Cammalleri in ESGPG. We're still talking about a kid who played 13:37 per game last year. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys, but he can score and he probably deserves a chance on the PP to try and see what he can do there.

Anyway, my point isn't that he's going to be great or score x numbers of goals just that you're saying he's never going to develop which isn't fair because he's already a useful part and it's not like he was a top 5 pick or anything we drafted him in the 2nd round and for his salary and role he's more than adequate and the fact that some in the media decided to over hype him shouldn't be held against him.

+1 :D

I still say let Cammalleri play with Gomez and Gionta and play Lats and Laps with Pleks... it would give them both second line minutes.

I agree with Moen playing third line...

You just wait and see.

It's the same thing year after year.

I'm sure I'll be able to make the same statement after 35 games - and I will.

for your reading pleasure:

"Was the Golden Boy listening?

Seeing Travis Moen playing alongside Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta for much of Saturday night's loss in Edmonton was surprising, but within a game, and so early in the season, you couldn't blame Jacques Martin for trying to think outside the box a little.

But Tuesday, Moen was back on that line at practice, and my initial reaction was that this is not the mandate he was brought here to fill. Moen's greatest offensive season in the NHL was 21 points in 82 games with Anaheim in 2006-07, the same year they won the Cup. Even in junior, his best output was only 27 points.

But Martin's reasoning for the move Tuesday was actually a little glimpse into the possible hidden motivation behind it, at least in my eyes. Martin said Moen will be useful because of his willingness to go to the front of the net and create traffic, which will be an important factor in improving the team's even strength scoring.

Hmmm.

Isn't there a young player on the Canadiens with size and infinitely better hands than Moen who could have been called on to fill that role? Isn't there a young player who continuously talks about his need to go to the front of the net, yet never does? Isn't there a young player who openly lobbied for a top-six role on the team on the very first day of training camp, but then was passed over after showing little to justify such a promotion?

I wonder if Guillaume Latendresse was watching Martin's press conference, and since he most likely wasn't, hopefully he gets the message Martin is not-so-subtly sending him.

This is a job that was there for the taking for Latendresse, yet he lost it in camp to Max Pacioretty, and when he didn't work out Martin opted for a bruiser with no hands.

Latendresse has topped Moen's career high in points in each of his three NHL seasons, and no one will argue that Moen is the more offensively gifted player. But there are two areas of Moen's game where he excels: work and desire.

If rewarding those traits with a first line role isn't a message to Latendresse, I don't know what is. And if Latendresse doesn't get that message, it's entirely possible he never will. I remember clearly last pre-season when Latendresse spoke glowingly of the Red Wings' Tomas Holmstrom and how he would be a perfect player to pattern his own game after. It never happened. While Latendresse sometimes like setting up shop in front of the net, he never stays there very long, preferring to drift up to the slot or to the side of the net to be in a better position to shoot.

That is not very Holmstrom-like. In fact, it's not even very Moen-like, which is why Latendresse sees himself pigeon-holed into a third line role. It's something that will not change until he not only realizes what it is that's expected of him, but until he actually starts delivering on those expectations."

the daily hab-it

for your reading pleasure:

"Was the Golden Boy listening?

Seeing Travis Moen playing alongside Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta for much of Saturday night's loss in Edmonton was surprising, but within a game, and so early in the season, you couldn't blame Jacques Martin for trying to think outside the box a little.

But Tuesday, Moen was back on that line at practice, and my initial reaction was that this is not the mandate he was brought here to fill. Moen's greatest offensive season in the NHL was 21 points in 82 games with Anaheim in 2006-07, the same year they won the Cup. Even in junior, his best output was only 27 points.

But Martin's reasoning for the move Tuesday was actually a little glimpse into the possible hidden motivation behind it, at least in my eyes. Martin said Moen will be useful because of his willingness to go to the front of the net and create traffic, which will be an important factor in improving the team's even strength scoring.

Hmmm.

Isn't there a young player on the Canadiens with size and infinitely better hands than Moen who could have been called on to fill that role? Isn't there a young player who continuously talks about his need to go to the front of the net, yet never does? Isn't there a young player who openly lobbied for a top-six role on the team on the very first day of training camp, but then was passed over after showing little to justify such a promotion?

I wonder if Guillaume Latendresse was watching Martin's press conference, and since he most likely wasn't, hopefully he gets the message Martin is not-so-subtly sending him.

This is a job that was there for the taking for Latendresse, yet he lost it in camp to Max Pacioretty, and when he didn't work out Martin opted for a bruiser with no hands.

Latendresse has topped Moen's career high in points in each of his three NHL seasons, and no one will argue that Moen is the more offensively gifted player. But there are two areas of Moen's game where he excels: work and desire.

If rewarding those traits with a first line role isn't a message to Latendresse, I don't know what is. And if Latendresse doesn't get that message, it's entirely possible he never will. I remember clearly last pre-season when Latendresse spoke glowingly of the Red Wings' Tomas Holmstrom and how he would be a perfect player to pattern his own game after. It never happened. While Latendresse sometimes like setting up shop in front of the net, he never stays there very long, preferring to drift up to the slot or to the side of the net to be in a better position to shoot.

That is not very Holmstrom-like. In fact, it's not even very Moen-like, which is why Latendresse sees himself pigeon-holed into a third line role. It's something that will not change until he not only realizes what it is that's expected of him, but until he actually starts delivering on those expectations."

the daily hab-it

Latendress has good skill and I will support his continued employment so long as he improves which he has, they can't all be Malkins or Crosbys, Krogs and Moens have their names on the cup too. I'd rather have 4 quality lines of 3rd line type checkers than 4 bad defensively offensive lines. I never thought Corson MacPhee, Carbonneau, were especially gifted but they won the cup too. Latendress is in good shape to be a well rounded player and that's good news yes?

Ya, and there is about fifty to a hundred other players that you could probably pull out of a hat and say that about also..actually i think Sk and Dags are a better point per game then Lats.

Just because lats numbers look pretty good playing against the other teams third and fourth lines does not make his numbers that great.

And for the overhype, this kid made the team at 18 years old. Yes the media and fans execpt more from him...And if he only develops into a third line winger who score 16 or 17 goals a year he is a wash. Because you can get players through free agency like the Moen who will score around ten, are better defensively and are in your face every shift and every night.

Yes his salary is low this year but it won't be next year when he is looking for 2 million plus.

I find it hard to believe anyone that is happy if Lats continues to be what he is currently which is a third line winger who may score 16 or 17goals.

I expect more from him, he is 6.2, 230 pounds, he has good hands?, I epect him to become a top two winger who score 30 plus goals a year anything less an i consider him a wash. Its not like he was a seven round pick and just started scoring 16 and 17 goals a year...he was a second round pick and won a spot at 18 on an NHL club...

Ya, and there is about fifty to a hundred other players that you could probably pull out of a hat and say that about also..actually i think Sk and Dags are a better point per game then Lats.

Just because lats numbers look pretty good playing against the other teams third and fourth lines does not make his numbers that great.

And for the overhype, this kid made the team at 18 years old. Yes the media and fans execpt more from him...And if he only develops into a third line winger who score 16 or 17 goals a year he is a wash. Because you can get players through free agency like the Moen who will score around ten, are better defensively and are in your face every shift and every night.

Yes his salary is low this year but it won't be next year when he is looking for 2 million plus.

I find it hard to believe anyone that is happy if Lats continues to be what he is currently which is a third line winger who may score 16 or 17goals.

I expect more from him, he is 6.2, 230 pounds, he has good hands?, I epect him to become a top two winger who score 30 plus goals a year anything less an i consider him a wash. Its not like he was a seven round pick and just started scoring 16 and 17 goals a year...he was a second round pick and won a spot at 18 on an NHL club...

He was sent back to junior at 18, made it at 19. The hype doesn't matter, the fact that you EXPECTED this kid to score x amount of goals is irrelevant. The only relevant questions are does he contribute something positive, which is yes and is he good value for his salary and right now the answer is yes. If he wants too much money his next contract then sure, that changes things but we can only deal with what's in front of us.

So because he doesn't live up to your personal expectations he's a wash? "Yeah, sure he can score 20 goals and hit but I expected him to score 30! Let's cut him." :lol:

As for going and signing guys like Moen, that's the problem with this organization, overpaying 4th line players. Moen may score 10, he's done it once, but averages 6-7 per year and is drastically overrated defensively likely because he played a bang and crash role with 2 shutdown players during 1 playoff run.

We're still talking about a 22 year old kid, who last year scored at a 20+ goal pace. As of right now, he's a contributor, one of our best 5 on 5 scorers and the fact that you or the French media expected more doesn't mean he should be traded or waived. A guy who's capable of potting 20 at 22 is actually still probably a potential 30 goal scorer anyway. Then he will meet your expectations and we can all breathe a sign of relief.

He was sent back to junior at 18, made it at 19. The hype doesn't matter, the fact that you EXPECTED this kid to score x amount of goals is irrelevant. The only relevant questions are does he contribute something positive, which is yes and is he good value for his salary and right now the answer is yes. If he wants too much money his next contract then sure, that changes things but we can only deal with what's in front of us.

====== well let me apologize for not gettting the age correct. This is still his 4th year at the NHL level....The fact that I -- how about the organization feel he has not grown to where he should be . Do, you really think that if they were as satisfied as you are with Lats development after 3 full seasons in the NHL they would not have offered him a long term contract worth some money? They gave Ak a contract because he has shown he can score 20 plus goals against the best lines other teams throw at him. He has also shown that he can possibly can score 30 plus goals. Lats has shown that he can score aginast the other teams 3rd and 4 line and he does not use his physical frame in front of the net enough.

So because he doesn't live up to your personal expectations he's a wash? "Yeah, sure he can score 20 goals and hit but I expected him to score 30! Let's cut him." :lol:

======= yes if he doesn't live up to his exepctaions he is a wash...you don't invest in a young kid for for 4 or 5 years to have him play on your third and fourth line, unles you though he was going to be a third line defesive player..and make no mistake Lats was drafted fr scoring and size no other reason...Explanation see contract offered aboved!

As for going and signing guys like Moen, that's the problem with this organization, overpaying 4th line players. Moen may score 10, he's done it once, but averages 6-7 per year and is drastically overrated defensively likely because he played a bang and crash role with 2 shutdown players during 1 playoff run.

======= 1.5 million is not overpaying for the little intangibles that moen brings to the table, now if you pay that for 6 or 7 moens that is a waste. but you can look at any winning team they have players like moen and player like that help you win a cup...see anaheim

We're still talking about a 22 year old kid, who last year scored at a 20+ goal pace. As of right now, he's a contributor, one of our best 5 on 5 scorers and the fact that you or the French media expected more doesn't mean he should be traded or waived. A guy who's capable of potting 20 at 22 is actually still probably a potential 30 goal scorer anyway. Then he will meet your expectations and we can all breathe a sign of relief.

======= I -- how about the organization does feel he has not grown to where he should be ====see contract offered as explanation that its not just I

Well the contract argument is weak. There are 2 sides to contract negotiations and in fact, I read it was the Latendresse side who wanted the 1 year deal, coming off an injury he wanted to improve his value before considering a long term deal. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. The same for Plekanec though, he signed 1 year coming off a down year and it could be as much about his side not wanting to commit to a long term deal when his value is low as anything.

They play Latendresse, so they obviously think he's capable of contributing.

As for your argument of expectations/wash, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. If a guy doesn't live up to lofty expectations but is still contributing you ignore that fact and gas him? It's fair to say they expected Carey to be a star goalie, so let's say he becomes good, not great we unload him because he didn't live up to expectations? Andrei K hasn't lived up to expectations, time to get rid of him.

Gui is one of our better 5 on 5 scorers, he's 22 with room to improve. Sure, he's not a first line player but if he still contributes at a fair dollar I'm more then happy and I doubt see why the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round has any impact on that. In fact, I know it doesn't, NHL teams definitely don't look at it like this, not with a 2nd round pick. They have to be happy Gui is an NHL caliber player at 22.

I swear at my TV everytime he gets rid of the puck too soon or takes a quick shot at a waiting golatender. Patience Gui, patience! Gui could've had two goals last night if he would have held on to the puck a little longer and waited for the goalie to make a move! If you can't score on Craig Anderson, you won't score at all! Come on boys! Time to wake up, the season has started!