The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guillaume Latendresse

Yep. I hope he heats up, we desperately need 15 or 20 from him this year, as it appears most games are going to be 1 goal dogfights.

It appears that you are right. Unfortunately Gui is off to a slow start, as is the whole team. He has only 1 goal, & no assists through 7 games. Last year he only scored once in the first 12 games, but did have 6 assists.

It appears that you are right. Unfortunately Gui is off to a slow start, as is the whole team. He has only 1 goal, & no assists through 7 games. Last year he only scored once in the first 12 games, but did have 6 assists.

I could be wrong, but I believe he may have been playing up on a line with Saku Koivu at this point last year, however I'm not sure.

He's got to be more of a presence on the PP. Just freaking park in front of the opponent's goalie and stir things up. Solid play along the boards and a few nice checks in the first two periods but he has to be a bigger factor on the PP to earn his spot on the special teams.

He's got to be more of a presence on the PP. Just freaking park in front of the opponent's goalie and stir things up. Solid play along the boards and a few nice checks in the first two periods but he has to be a bigger factor on the PP to earn his spot on the special teams.

he was exactly where he was supposed to be on the pp - in front of the net - but he had hands of stone. not to mention he blocked a shot for the thrashers...i want him off the pp, asap.

too bad sergei's a punk because i'd rather see him out there in that spot.

he was exactly where he was supposed to be on the pp - in front of the net - but he had hands of stone. not to mention he blocked a shot for the thrashers...i want him off the pp, asap.

[/qu Lat's doing his job well, the puck is bouncing the other way for alot of guys. Need that big screen.

IMO, there's a difference between hanging around in front of the net and actually being a distraction to the goalie and the opponent's D. Latendresse was in front of the net but he didn't create enough havoc for my liking.

IMO, there's a difference between hanging around in front of the net and actually being a distraction to the goalie and the opponent's D. Latendresse was in front of the net but he didn't create enough havoc for my liking.

He should go to the Laraque school of havoc for a few weeks true. Goals will come.

then we are in agreement. i was shocked enough to see him in the crease in the first place but i guess he thought standing there would be enough. :P

Guest Kovy-27

Latendresse sucks and always sucked...but if there was ever a chance for him to prove me wrong it's now or never.We don't have any more choice but to play him on the second line.So let's see if he really is the next big superstar that everybody bragged about and that was compared with the likes of Vincent Lecavalier.

It's now or never...I don't think he's going to have a impact but hopefully for the team,he's going to finally payoff!

1)Latendresse sucks and always sucked...2)but if there was ever a chance for him to prove me wrong it's now or never.3)We don't have any more choice but to play him on the second line. 4)So let's see if he really is the next big superstar that everybody bragged about and that was compared with the likes of Vincent Lecavalier.

5) It's now or never...I don't think he's going to have a impact but hopefully for the team,he's going to finally payoff!

1) :mellow:

2) I suppose, though he seems to be performing well in the role he was given, when compared to how the whole team is doing. His offensive production isn't amazing, but he's shown he can score. My main worry coming into the season was if he is put on the checking line, can he play decently defensively, and play a good physical game. If he isn't on the top two lines, I won't worry too much about his poor scoring, although 1 in 7 isn't good enough.

3) Why do you say that? Any news I'm missing?

4) Any sources comparing him to Lecs? At all? They play two different styles, he certainly won't be Vinny in term of production, and I don't think ANYONE expects him to be a superstar.

5) Of course he'll have an impact. Every player does. I think you should lower your expectations in terms of what that impact is.

Kane pushed Gui around. 18 year old kid pushed around one of our big young forwards. It would have been nice if Gui was as big and strong as Kane or Lucic. But the reality is that Gui not that level of player. However. If Gui puts himself in position to score then good things will happen. Gui is getting some PP time. Nothing to show for it yet. But when the screen results in a Montreal goal or when Gui deflects a puck for a goal. Or when Gui knocks in a rebound on the PP. Then just watch the bandwagon fill up. I am certainly not a leading the bandwagon. However I think I am more realistic. 15 to 25 goals per season. I don't care how Gui gets the goals I just want him to get them. Our team could use some scoring from the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit.

JM needs to find someone to help the 3rd line. IMO Chips would be a good choice. Possibly Patches. Possibly Moen. Someone to provide what Kosto used to provide. I remember when Lapierre, Latendresse and Kosto where our best line last season for several weeks in a row. I actually hope that Gomez can provide true 1st line scoring. But it would be really nice if the 3rd line provided some goal scoring. Gui can land some nice body checks. And maybe most importantly Gui can be close to the net which is far better for a 15 to 25 goal player to get some goals. Scoring from the boards is not very likely. Scoring from behind the net is also not likely for Gui. But scoring within 10 feet of the net is possible.

Kane pushed Gui around. 18 year old kid pushed around one of our big young forwards. It would have been nice if Gui was as big and strong as Kane or Lucic. But the reality is that Gui not that level of player. However. If Gui puts himself in position to score then good things will happen. Gui is getting some PP time. Nothing to show for it yet. But when the screen results in a Montreal goal or when Gui deflects a puck for a goal. Or when Gui knocks in a rebound on the PP. Then just watch the bandwagon fill up. I am certainly not a leading the bandwagon. However I think I am more realistic. 15 to 25 goals per season. I don't care how Gui gets the goals I just want him to get them. Our team could use some scoring from the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit.

JM needs to find someone to help the 3rd line. IMO Chips would be a good choice. Possibly Patches. Possibly Moen. Someone to provide what Kosto used to provide. I remember when Lapierre, Latendresse and Kosto where our best line last season for several weeks in a row. I actually hope that Gomez can provide true 1st line scoring. But it would be really nice if the 3rd line provided some goal scoring. Gui can land some nice body checks. And maybe most importantly Gui can be close to the net which is far better for a 15 to 25 goal player to get some goals. Scoring from the boards is not very likely. Scoring from behind the net is also not likely for Gui. But scoring within 10 feet of the net is possible.

IMO, Latendresse needs better footwork he reaches, and extends and the they can push him around. Move his feet and his balance will improve and that battle will be won more often than not. That's how Crosby does what he does at that size. I was thinking that a speedster like SK would have had a big impact on the third line but I guess that isn't going to happen. Can we get Perezhogin to play and Patch to sit?

1) :mellow:

2) I suppose, though he seems to be performing well in the role he was given, when compared to how the whole team is doing. His offensive production isn't amazing, but he's shown he can score. My main worry coming into the season was if he is put on the checking line, can he play decently defensively, and play a good physical game. If he isn't on the top two lines, I won't worry too much about his poor scoring, although 1 in 7 isn't good enough.

3) Why do you say that? Any news I'm missing?

4) Any sources comparing him to Lecs? At all? They play two different styles, he certainly won't be Vinny in term of production, and I don't think ANYONE expects him to be a superstar.

5) Of course he'll have an impact. Every player does. I think you should lower your expectations in terms of what that impact is.

That is a joke I agree, i don't think there is anyone who thought he would be the next Lecavlier.

However there are alot of people in this fourum who thought he would become that big power forward who could dominate along the boards and score 30 to 35 plus goals a season.

There is no real big difference in his game since the day he was drafted. He has stints where it looks like he will be what most people wanted an then there are long long long periods where it looks like anyone can take his place.

Becuase they are exerimenting with patches without much success, even though i still think before mid season patches will start scoring and look more comfortable out there. I think they should maybe rotate Lats and Patches every ofther game..

I however don't think JM will move lats....He is a coach who is more about two player connections...

Gomez and Gionta

Pleks and AK

Lats and Laps...

I think that after that he will move wingers in and out...

That is a joke I agree, i don't think there is anyone who thought he would be the next Lecavlier.

1)However there are alot of people in this fourum who thought he would become that big power forward who could dominate along the boards and score 30 to 35 plus goals a season.

There is no real big difference in his game since the day he was drafted. 2)He has stints where it looks like he will be what most people wanted an then there are long long long periods where it looks like anyone can take his place.

Becuase they are exerimenting with patches without much success, even though i still think before mid season patches will start scoring and look more comfortable out there. I think they should maybe rotate Lats and Patches every ofther game..

3)I however don't think JM will move lats....He is a coach who is more about two player connections...

Gomez and Gionta

Pleks and AK

Lats and Laps...

I think that after that he will move wingers in and out...

1) 30 to 35 goals? Hm. I guess I can see why people would think that initially, but to expect that at this point would be almost ridiculous. Almost. He has shown he has a bit of a scoring touch, and he plays a physical game, but I don't think he's ging to be that power forward everyone thought he'd be, scoring all the dirty goals. Although at the moment, he looks like he's going to develop into a quality third liner, I can't claim to know what'll come in his career.

2)Very true. At the start of last season, when he played with Saku, I saw some very good signs of a good player. I was looking forward to his season. Unfortunately, despite all the injuries we had, he wasn't really a factor for the rest of the season.

3) There isn't a bigger sign of this being true than Moen going on the top line instead of Gui. Refering to the season start I mentioned earlier, he has shown signs that he can perform on the top line. The possibility of him being an effective tough player on the top line has been done before, so when I saw Moen get time on the top minutes instead of Gui, I knew that unless injuries come to our wingers, he's likely to stay on the third line the rest of the season.

It is early. However I would put Latendresse in the press box for one game. Motivation. It has helped in the past. We cannot send him to the AHL. But the coach can send him to the 4th line or press box. I would pick one game in the press box. Montreal has two forwards in the press box. One of them will get a one game to provide energy to the 3rd or 4th line.

With Lapierre getting a goal tonight it is possible that Lapierre is going to start playing better offensively. After a one game break in the press box put Lats and Laps back together.

I don't think his 4th line duty was a result of the injury, he was practicing on that line before he got "hurt" it was likely a result of him doing nothing on 80 to 90% of his shifts so far this year. check out the Armstrong goal from the ATL game - and witness Lats standing there with his feet in concrete as the puck gets pounced on and buried.

I don't think his 4th line duty was a result of the injury, he was practicing on that line before he got "hurt" it was likely a result of him doing nothing on 80 to 90% of his shifts so far this year. check out the Armstrong goal from the ATL game - and witness Lats standing there with his feet in concrete as the puck gets pounced on and buried.

That could be true... will we ever know?

Lats will never become the player many aspire him to be. Personally I don't see it - but can he contribute - you bet! First off Lats himself has got to look at himself in the mirror and define his role on this team. All would be different if he would have speed - but when you turn a breakaway in to a goal mouth scramble - you gotta go with it. What Lats has is size and he should use it. He seems to be strong - he should use that too. The last thing he should do is turn away from the rough stuff because he thinks he's a scorer. Last night the commentators picked out a time where Lats had someone line-up and didn't crush him into the boards - why not? Lats should use his size to finish his checks - stand in front of the net and 'wait' and be there if need be when the going gets rough. Wether he likes it or not I think he'd be much more effective playing that role.

I could be wrong, but I believe he may have been playing up on a line with Saku Koivu at this point last year, however I'm not sure.

your right he was on a line with the captin and tangs another guy we let walk alex t was flying to start the season as was most of the team as we usually do. chris came back and was given his right full spot from the previous years numbers and his speed and two way play and gui went to the max line.

McGuire is an idiot with a clear bias against French-Canadian players and Russian-speaking players. Basically, you have to be Kovalchuk caliber in order for McGuire to praise you. If not, he ignores everything you do right and only focuses on what you do wrong. Sure, Lats missed a hit, but he did a lot of other things right in the Islanders game. But when Gomez turns the puck over, there's not a peep from Pierre. Sickening to listen to.

Lats had himself a solid game against the Islanders.