The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sergei Kostitsyn

• 1 month later...
I think he would fit in nice on the 3rd line with Lats and Laps, Although Moen might have that locked up. I really beleive that Sergei might have to dedicate himself a bit more or will be playing elsewhere come seasons end.

I agree. A line with Lapierre, Guillaume, and Sergei might make an excellent 3rd unit. However, you are probably right... Moen might have that spot locked up for now.

I think he would fit in nice on the 3rd line with Lats and Laps, Although Moen might have that locked up. I really beleive that Sergei might have to dedicate himself a bit more or will be playing elsewhere come seasons end.

I agree that Lats, Laps and Sergei would be a third line ranked up there with just about any in the league. Moen could probably work well on the fourth line, too, so I'm not too worried about that. The only downside, though, is that in my opinion Sergei and especially Latendresse are the leading contenders to fit into the second line winger position. I guess it depends on how much we want to hurt the second line in order to stack the third.

I agree that Lats, Laps and Sergei would be a third line ranked up there with just about any in the league. Moen could probably work well on the fourth line, too, so I'm not too worried about that. The only downside, though, is that in my opinion Sergei and especially Latendresse are the leading contenders to fit into the second line winger position. I guess it depends on how much we want to hurt the second line in order to stack the third.

Max could play the second line. He is big, fast and not has defensively oriented that the players you mentionned above

I'm gonna come out and say that I'm not a big fan of Sergei.

He comes with a bag of tools and tricks but fails at executing them. He also appears to lack the desire on the ice and has taken alot of stupid penalties last season. To me, he hasn't earned the right to play on the second line.

I'd like nothing more than to see Sergei jump on the ice, skate hard, make smart decisions and pass the puck. Some have compared his on ice vision and passing skills to Crosby's. It's obviously and exhageration but they're just trying to say he has very good on ice vision. Talent alone won't win you the spot, you have to earn it and to me Latendresse has earned it more than Sergei (and no it's not because he's french).

He is not physical but compensates with his speed and passing ability. Meaning he probably would play well with Latendresse who has good scoring ability and hits lots but he is a slow skater.

S.kostitsyn-Lapierre-Latendresse

I agree completely this line would be a wonderful 3rd line to have. It would be good to have sergei on the third line anyway so that he could really solidify himself as a defensively competent offensive player for the future.

Forget about last season..turn the page and show us what you got Sergei. It's now or never. ;)

Why is it now or never? He has yet to play a full NHL season, he's very young, and stats-wise he actually wasn't as bad last season as everyone is making him out to be, when you consider his ice time, lack of PP time, and the quality of his linemates. Sure, he took some undisciplined penalties early in the year, but so did lots of players. It just so happened that he became Carbonneau's personal whipping-boy in the same season as the ridiculous nontroversy surrounding the alleged but unproven criminal ties broke. That would play havoc with anyone's game, let alone a kid like Sergei.

I think this kid needs to be with his brother, they showed hints of excellence when he payed on the same line with him, personally they need to be together.

IMO it was more the case of Sergei plaing well with Lang as opposed to Sergei playing well with Andrei. When they played together with other centres it wasn't nearly as successful (although I admit it didn't happen as often, either).

I have nothing against having the KosBros playing together per se, but the problem is that it would bring Andrei off the top line. I think Andrei's more valuable with Gomez and Camm, and hopefully Sergei can have a good year in his own right with whoever he ends up playing with.

IMO it was more the case of Sergei plaing well with Lang as opposed to Sergei playing well with Andrei. When they played together with other centres it wasn't nearly as successful (although I admit it didn't happen as often, either).

I have nothing against having the KosBros playing together per se, but the problem is that it would bring Andrei off the top line. I think Andrei's more valuable with Gomez and Camm, and hopefully Sergei can have a good year in his own right with whoever he ends up playing with.

I still think Gomez is going to be with Gionta at the start of the season, its the ONLY reason i can see Gainy brining in Gionta, was to hopefully rekindle there chemistry together.

Why is it now or never? He has yet to play a full NHL season, he's very young, and stats-wise he actually wasn't as bad last season as everyone is making him out to be, when you consider his ice time, lack of PP time, and the quality of his linemates. Sure, he took some undisciplined penalties early in the year, but so did lots of players. It just so happened that he became Carbonneau's personal whipping-boy in the same season as the ridiculous nontroversy surrounding the alleged but unproven criminal ties broke. That would play havoc with anyone's game, let alone a kid like Sergei.

I meant now or never because if he doesn't show what he can do to earn his spot on one of the top lines (deserve to get PP time) I think he will never be what we expected him to be (at least not in this city)

I am a fan of his, but reading that he is out of shape (if it is true) and already injured( maybe this is why he isn't in shape). is frustrating. <_<

:P hockey season has officially begun in Montreal! ;)

Not too concerned about Sergei. Even if he is recovering from shoulder surgery... The season hasn't even started. When Sergei's ready to go, I'm sure he will work his way onto the Habs roster and play in the top-6 or the bottom-6. It's not like he hasn't played in either capacity before. Which, in my opinion, gives him the edge over the defensively abysmal D'Agostini, and the extremely raw Pacioretty.