The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sergei Kostitsyn

Agreed. But how long do you give said young person to conform to your definition of professionalism?

Sergei is still very young, has yet to play one full season in the NHL, and is coming off a horrible year personally (the fuss everyone made about ultimately unproven mob allegations, the feud with Grabovski, the fact that he was Carbonneau's whipping-boy) in which everything that could go wrong with the team did go wrong. At the very minimum, you have to give him at least one full season before arriving at any judgments IMO.

Do we really want to turn Sergei into yet another player who excels elsewhere because we didn't have the patience to develop him properly?

And now Plekanec is quoted as saying it's his attitude.

To be fair, according to Francois Gagnon (I always feel kinda nauseous when typing his name) Plekanec said his talent isn't the problem but rather his work ethic.

Not going to argue semantics on a forum but there's a difference between "attitude problems" and "work ethic". In my books, work ethic is something people learn over time, mostly through experience and imitating others. Some young kids have it, others don't. Personally, I'd say I was definitely lacking in this department until age 25 - at least. Attitude, however, is something you don't normally learn, it's more like a character trait in my eyes. On a side note, I could name about 10 people from my workplace who have a lot of commitment and work ethic, yet serious attitude problems.

All this to say that I'm convinced Sergei will be fine. The decision to send him down is the right one and JM sent out a clear cut message by doing so. Gorges summed it up best I feel. He basically said that if the organization feels they can do without Sergei's skill, they obviously may also feel the same way about a lot of other guys if they don't show what's expected from them. Lead by example, no *****. If that's going to be the general idea of JM's tenure in Habland, I will definitely be a happy man.

To be fair, according to Francois Gagnon (I always feel kinda nauseous when typing his name) Plekanec said his talent isn't the problem but rather his work ethic.

Not going to argue semantics on a forum but there's a difference between "attitude problems" and "work ethic". In my books, work ethic is something people learn over time, mostly through experience and imitating others. Some young kids have it, others don't. Personally, I'd say I was definitely lacking in this department until age 25 - at least. Attitude, however, is something you don't normally learn, it's more like a character trait in my eyes. On a side note, I could name about 10 people from my workplace who have a lot of commitment and work ethic, yet serious attitude problems.

All this to say that I'm convinced Sergei will be fine. The decision to send him down is the right one and JM sent out a clear cut message by doing so. Gorges summed it up best I feel. He basically said that if the organization feels they can do without Sergei's skill, they obviously may also feel the same way about a lot of other guys if they don't show what's expected from them. Lead by example, no *****. If that's going to be the general idea of JM's tenure in Habland, I will definitely be a happy man.

Awesome insight :D

SK74 will hopefully be back. He's got what it takes; just needs to channel it, and do so consistently.

I have to say I like Coach Martin's no-nonsense approach ... about time, IMHO. One tactic in these attitude/work ethic turnarounds is to make an example of someone, to send a 'clear message'. I would have thought BG's clean house would have sufficed ... this may just be "next stage", and also "coach's confirmation".

For SK's perspective, ideally he would have known to be on the lookout for this. E.g., you don't want to be last one on the bus, never mind miss the bus altogether. ;)

Finally, if the lineup had to pare a smallish forward, because the team is viewed as having a lot of then, well, then SK was ripe for the picking.

As I said, I hope to see him back. Its up to SK, more than anything. He is certainly young enough. Is he patient enough, and will he mature through this? Those are the questions.

I knew Sergei was going to play his way off the roster. This year's team is all about consistent effort and professionalism and his bus mishap hurt badly, although it could happen to virtually anyone. Don't think Gomez would be in Hamilton if the same happened to him but when you're a bubble player and the other guy hurts him himself making a defensive play while u miss a bus, it's not easy to make a good impression.

Hopefully, Sergei is mad and motivated rather than aloof about it. I'd expect him back up by end of December. If not, he'll get traded at the March trade deadline.

Yeah, what's expected of a professional can mean many things. Based on what Martin said on audio, it sounds like Sergei wasn't quite up to speed on absorbing the new system, but I'd hardly call that a character flaw, as he was injured, rehabbing his injury, and missed a good part of preseason action.

This is probably the right move just to let Sergei get big minutes in the AHL while he gets back to 100%. If someone gets injured or underperforms, expect to see SK right back in the mix.

I find it hilarious that people are writing Sergei off when Lapierre went through a similar phase at the beginning of last season. And look where Max is now.

sergei isnt someone we should be giving up on i can tell ya that, when he gets it going look out

Sergei is still very young, has yet to play one full season in the NHL, and is coming off a horrible year personally (the fuss everyone made about ultimately unproven mob allegations, the feud with Grabovski, the fact that he was Carbonneau's whipping-boy) in which everything that could go wrong with the team did go wrong. At the very minimum, you have to give him at least one full season before arriving at any judgments IMO.

Do we really want to turn Sergei into yet another player who excels elsewhere because we didn't have the patience to develop him properly?

IMO Sergei should be on the habs team, he'd make a great fit on the 3rd or 2nd line. I don't think putting Sergei up and down like this is developing him, he showed last year he could average roughly a point per game in the AHL and with the experience he has in the NHL there is no reason he should be back in Hamilton. Pacioretti is the one that should be sent down, he is just too raw. Considering the few games a college season gives a player he should definetly be spending a full year in the AHL.

I was really looking forward to seeing sergei play this year, He'd make one of the best 3rd lines in the nhl with max and lats. But now he;s back in hamilton, these "attitude"allegations are all balognie, just stupid! Like attitude to me is talking back to your elders. This kid doesnt talk back! He got yelled at by coach.... did u see him yelling back at him?, NO! He almost was late for practice once... ALMOST! Who cares!

If the habs organization sent Sergei down based on "attitude" problems (which he doesn't have) then this organization the one I've been cheering for all my life is really starting to get my goat. First we rid ourselves of Koivu and gut the rest of our beloved habs, now this junk. The only plausible reason to send sergei down would be to get cap space for trade/signing...BUT oh wait Pacioretti makes the same money as Sergei....I guess there is no reason for S. KOST's demotions after all....

(feels good to get that off my chest)

We had better win this year...I dont know how long I can put up with this team... :angry:

Yes he has got some work ethic issues and Hamilton is the place were he can work them out playing 19-20 minutes a night were in Mtl he will be jucky to play 12 minutes on the third line. SK74 has the talent I believe to be a more complete player then his brother. Could be a top six foreward. If he plays like we all know he is capable of Gainey is going to have a nice option because he will be able to trade someone that is currently on the team.

Are you guys for real? He asked for a trade, he does not want to be on this team any more. And yes, his bro is not happy about this ***** at all. He is gonna follow him. And then we'll see who is gonna score for this "team". One line is not gonna get you cup, boys. And goaltendering, is gonna be a big problem again this year.

I think people are over reacting. What do we really know about what happened in the locker room besides what the press tells us? Bottom line is Sergei was inconsistent and at times lazy. I don't think this is the result of just being late for one practice and being yelled at.

This stems from bad work ethic and bad habits from last season. Some time in the minors won't hurt the kid and if his brother is upset that's too damn bad. This is a team first, if the players we have can't get on board its obvious now that JM won't stand for it. I for one find it refreshing and think its exactly what this team needs, A coach isn't there to be your friend he's there to maximize your potential.

Plekanec should just be quite and focus on his own game

Not a bad idea.

Bottom line is Sergei was inconsistent and at times lazy.

According to coach JM,this was the case at camp.

This stems from bad work ethic and bad habits from last season. Some time in the minors won't hurt the kid and if his brother is upset that's too damn bad. This is a team first, if the players we have can't get on board its obvious now that JM won't stand for it. I for one find it refreshing and think its exactly what this team needs, A coach isn't there to be your friend he's there to maximize your potential.

+1

Are you guys for real? He asked for a trade, he does not want to be on this team any more. And yes, his bro is not happy about this ***** at all. He is gonna follow him.

Please don't make assertions like these without providing legitimate sources to back them up. And using acronyms to indicate swear words is not acceptable.

Are you guys for real? He asked for a trade, he does not want to be on this team any more. And yes, his bro is not happy about this

While I would say that if true, it would prove there is an attitude/maturity problem, this trade rumor is still just a rumor, and given the Montreal media, wouldn't be a surprising fabrication if it were untrue.

I think people are over reacting. What do we really know about what happened in the locker room besides what the press tells us? Bottom line is Sergei was inconsistent and at times lazy. I don't think this is the result of just being late for one practice and being yelled at.

From what I've seen of Andrei this pre-season, I don't think he has a right to be upset and the message could easily apply to him and a few others too.

One thing is certain regarding Sergei... there has to be a legitimate reason for why Martin sent him to Hamilton prior to the current bonding session.

Martin: « Il faut passer à l’action à un certain moment, tranche l’entraîneur-chef du Canadien. On l’a rétrogradé à Hamilton mais ça ne veut pas dire qu’il ne reviendra pas avec notre équipe. Dans le moment, ça éclaircit certaines situations.» « Le temps va nous indiquer sa compréhension, a poursuivi Martin. Avec plusieurs athlètes, on doit naviguer avec un niveau de maturité. Dans son cas, on espère qu’il comprenne et qu’il se mette au travail. »

Basically... action was required... he could return... for now, sending him to Hamilton clears up certain situations... and his maturity has to be navigated (could mean 'considered') and the hope is he'll understand and needs some work.