The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nba, Nhl Soften Stance On Jersey Ads

Bourne

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-07-28-jersey-ads_N.htm

NHL chief operating officer John Collins says the league might put ads on game jerseys for the right price.

Please for the love of god tell me this is complete nonsense. The day I see teams like Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, New York; all historic franchises covered with embarrassing McDonald's, Starbucks or Wal*Mart while be a day I'm going to need a vomit bag. Ugh even on Phoenix, Tampa or Nashville... it is just horrid.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-07-28-jersey-ads_N.htm

NHL chief operating officer John Collins says the league might put ads on game jerseys for the right price.

Please for the love of god tell me this is complete nonsense. The day I see teams like Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, New York; all historic franchises covered with embarrassing McDonald's, Starbucks or Wal*Mart while be a day I'm going to need a vomit bag. Ugh even on Phoenix, Tampa or Nashville... it is just horrid.

What if it was a beer ad... Molson's for example.

I know ...let's go back to no helmets and have players cut their hair in the Nike Swish ....or better yet ...shave it all off and get Coca Cola tatooed on the back of their heads... bettman is an American Businessmen in charge of OUR game and he doesn't care one way or another what is good for it ....as long as HE get to make all the decissions..as if it hasn't become corporate enough.... this would be the final ruin of the league.

God NO.

This would be another stake into an already wounded heart (--> commercial breaks).

Personally, I'd much rather have jersey ads if that actually meant the end of commercial breaks and other silly in-game ads in the arena.

That's just me though ...

Why is everyone batterring Bettman when it clearly says Collier is the one announcing this idea?

Because it may be someone else's idea but this just stinks of Bettman and something he might approve of. It's bad enough that they turned arena names into ads but this idea just blows.

Because it may be someone else's idea but this just stinks of Bettman and something he might approve of. It's bad enough that they turned arena names into ads but this idea just blows.

Thats a rather absurb presumption since this is clearly a promotion idea and thats Collin's department. Bettman does not need to approve.

John Collins is the NHL’s chief operating officer, providing strategic direction and oversight for all of the League’s business, media and communications operations.

http://johnmichaelcollins.com/

The day the Habs jersey is desecrated with ads is the day Bettman absolutely needs to go!

they will be advertising bettman bobbleheads on the habs jerseys :P

Does anyone remember when Bettman first came into the league and wanted to change the game from periods to halves.

bettman makes it so difficult to obey forum rules...

:lol: Bettman's fan base

Why is everyone batterring Bettman when it clearly says Collier is the one announcing this idea?

Well,being the league's chief operating office,wouldn't you suppose that he ran this idea across Bettman's desk?

And the approval if granted would come from Bettman?

Well,being the league's chief operating office,wouldn't you suppose that he ran this idea across Bettman's desk?

And the approval if granted would come from Bettman?

Not really, thats not CBA or an intrical league-related issue. I'm sure he can veto it, but I don't think he has to approve it, its not his main area of work.

I'm not saying its not possible they ever talked about it, but to say this is Bettman's last call is wrong because this is strictly Collin's field.

Personally, I'd much rather have jersey ads if that actually meant the end of commercial breaks and other silly in-game ads in the arena.

That's just me though ...

I personally don't mind the commercial breaks, gives me time to get another beer without missing anything. :lol:

As for adds on jersey's... Leave that to the minor's and the European league. The boards are already littered with adds, the players are not walking (skating) billboards.

Archived