The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kyle Chipchura

AK-1

oh that is great. go mr invisible! :unsure::mellow:

Way to give the guy a fair shake. Pfft.

I mean seriously - people wonder why no one wants to play in montreal. Its a new year & the guy hasnt even stepped on the ice but you've already got preconceived biases towards him.

Gook luck Kyle. This is your make or break year imho. I hope its the "make" :)

Oddly enough, while heading to work in hamilton this summer, i ran into Kyle.

He is really a down to earth guy. The one striking thing about him though, is that he's flippin huge. He looks more like a football player than a hockeyplayer.

Maybe this summer he decided to bulk up, so he could play a meaner style of game? If this is the case, great, he seemed to be able to handle himself for a few games, but never had the pizzaz to be worthy of a constant roster spot. If he can bring a Moen like game to the ice, theres no way he would give up the roster spot.

It would be fantastic to have Two, hard-checking, defensive lines that you would happily line up against any opposing line.

Good luck Kyle

Oddly enough, while heading to work in hamilton this summer, i ran into Kyle.

He is really a down to earth guy. The one striking thing about him though, is that he's flippin huge. He looks more like a football player than a hockeyplayer.

Maybe this summer he decided to bulk up, so he could play a meaner style of game? If this is the case, great, he seemed to be able to handle himself for a few games, but never had the pizzaz to be worthy of a constant roster spot. If he can bring a Moen like game to the ice, theres no way he would give up the roster spot.

It would be fantastic to have Two, hard-checking, defensive lines that you would happily line up against any opposing line.

Good luck Kyle

That is what we all want and are waiting to see if it happens

Last chance, Chips, make the best of it, it's going to be better for everyone; including you, the team, the fans, youppi...

Not that I can think he can steal Metropolit's job, as I don't remember Chips displaying anything remotely close to Metro's speed-grit-skill combination.

Chips can at least fight for the thirteenth forward job, as there will be competition for it 'till the end of the season as callups will happen.

Our team needs Chips to become a regular player. We do not have many 6'2" players in the system that are ready for the NHL. Not the same role. But it is only a matter of one to three games before Laraque pulls a groin, hurts his back, or has an upper body injury. We need some big forwards to fill roster spots. Chips can do the job. And unlike Metro he is not a small forward. Injuries and timing of the injuries has really hurt his progression with Montreal. IMHO.

Watch how Chips goes into the corners and gets the puck. Seriously. A lot of our players lack that skill.

Chips was his team captain in junior. Canadian World junior captain. Captain of the Bull Dogs.

Chips was drafted in the first round based primarily on his offensive skills. Several injuries and Chips is now a defensive player. It doesn't matter if the player is on the team for defensive or offensive reasons. So long as the player fills the role. I believe that Chips will fill the 3rd / 4th line defensive center role. Lapierre might be the biggest fan if this occurs as Lapierre could see time as the 2nd offensive center in the near future.

I agree that this is make or break for Chips. His waiver situation requires clearing waivers to or from the NHL based on his age. Solid play will guarantee Chips a job in Montreal, IMHO. Better then solid play on the PK or 5 on 5 will guarantee a contract renewal for Chips in 6 months.

Couple of other comments. I believe Chips is a faster skater then "some fans" think. Does anyone have proof that Chips is slow? IMO Latendresse is very slow, but this is his 4th season in Montreal. Hal Hill is a very slow skater based on a lot of fan opinions. Isn't this his 13th NHL season? Speed helps but playing positional hockey and a role within your limits has to be as important otherwise how do slow NHL players stay in the NHL?

Chips was drafted in the first round based primarily on his offensive skills. Several injuries and Chips is now a defensive player.

Actually, you're wrong.

He was never an offensive player. When he was drafted, people were comparing him to Carbo, Keane and Lehtinen. In fact, in the 2 years in junior before he was drafted, he scored just 30 and 48 points in 64 games. Most "offensive" players get well over 100pts in the WHL - many getting over 150.

Chips surprised people at the WJC by providing some offense, but initially it was thought he'd never score much more than 20 pts in a season.

Frankly, I dont care one bit about his scoring. if he can check the way he should be able to, he's going to be a regular on this squad. If not, well then this is probably the end of the road for him.

Actually, you're wrong.

He was never an offensive player. When he was drafted, people were comparing him to Carbo, Keane and Lehtinen. In fact, in the 2 years in junior before he was drafted, he scored just 30 and 48 points in 64 games. Most "offensive" players get well over 100pts in the WHL - many getting over 150.

Chips surprised people at the WJC by providing some offense, but initially it was thought he'd never score much more than 20 pts in a season.

Frankly, I dont care one bit about his scoring. if he can check the way he should be able to, he's going to be a regular on this squad. If not, well then this is probably the end of the road for him.

Azuh? :blink:

This year only three players in the WHL got over 100 points and 6 over 90. One of whom was 4th overall pick Evander Kane (Brayden Schenn the 5th overall pick had 88 points).

In 07-08, only two got over 100 points and five over 90.

The WHL is known as a pretty dismal offensive league and a pretty defensive heavy one. I think you're thinking of the Q, but even they had only three players over 100 points, the leading scorer Yannick Riendeau had 126 but he was a overager free agent, later scooped up by the Bruins.

---------------------

I do agree though that Chips was not drafted with the prognosis of being a top 6 player, which begs the question of why use a first round pick onhim which I've been posing for years. Especially when names like Dustin Boyd, Dave Bolland and other centers who could've served that role.

IMO Chips intangibles were overrated, rather than his pure hockey abilities.

if he can bring a moen like game why not just use him on the wing. sub in for laraque. his main problem was faceoffs after all

And he was showing major improvements on this part of his game as he was 50% and up in 5 of his last 7 games in Montreal.

Azuh? :blink:

This year only three players in the WHL got over 100 points and 6 over 90. One of whom was 4th overall pick Evander Kane (Brayden Schenn the 5th overall pick had 88 points).

In 07-08, only two got over 100 points and five over 90.

The WHL is known as a pretty dismal offensive league and a pretty defensive heavy one. I think you're thinking of the Q, but even they had only three players over 100 points, the leading scorer Yannick Riendeau had 126 but he was a overager free agent, later scooped up by the Bruins.

---------------------

I do agree though that Chips was not drafted with the prognosis of being a top 6 player, which begs the question of why use a first round pick onhim which I've been posing for years. Especially when names like Dustin Boyd, Dave Bolland and other centers who could've served that role.

IMO Chips intangibles were overrated, rather than his pure hockey abilities.

I should have known the stats police would come in here!! lol. I just remember Ray Ferraro scoring like 110 goals in the W. I will admit I dont watch the W that much, but even still with his point totals Chips had to have been lowwww down on the offensive score sheets.

But yes, despite my stats being off, my point was that Chips was never considered a scorer. And I did always wonder why we picked a grinder up so high. I think Gainey had something to do with this, as I dont see Timmins wanting to use a 1st rounder on a guy who may never score goals in double digits.

I should have known the stats police would come in here!! lol. I just remember Ray Ferraro scoring like 110 goals in the W. I will admit I dont watch the W that much, but even still with his point totals Chips had to have been lowwww down on the offensive score sheets.

Hey don't diss the badge! :P:lol:

But yes, despite my stats being off, my point was that Chips was never considered a scorer. And I did always wonder why we picked a grinder up so high. I think Gainey had something to do with this, as I dont see Timmins wanting to use a 1st rounder on a guy who may never score goals in double digits.

Chipchura was actually high on many boards, I think CSS has him as the #4 or 5 NA skater during that year, albeit I didn't have him close to there.

Way to give the guy a fair shake. Pfft.

I mean seriously - people wonder why no one wants to play in montreal. Its a new year & the guy hasnt even stepped on the ice but you've already got preconceived biases towards him.

Gook luck Kyle. This is your make or break year imho. I hope its the "make" :)

"people wonder why no one wants to play in montreal". That's bull crap.The main issue is the taxes. This guy has not shown to be a top 12 forward for what's needed on our team so far.In a physical game vs.TO last year he turned into a perimeter player. He's not taking Metro's or Laps' place as a center.His only hope is for an injury or play some wing if D'ags or Pacs gets sent down.

Actually, you're wrong.

I hope your not referring to Guy Carboneua? He was a scoring wizard in Junior and that is exactly what he was drafted for, scoring...he learned to played a good defensive game in the AHL and that later translated to the NHL.

Also if that is Mike Keane he scored 153 points in his last 120 games in junior 60 of them were goals...so I don't think he was drafted for his defensive ability either.

Kyle Chipchura in his last 87 games he had 35 goals and 52 assits for a point per game player not bad considering the injury that was wrapped around that at the time. Before the sever injury he was one of the leading scorers in the western hockey league...I am sure he was set back a few years because of that.

No one exepected him to fill a top line center, but i am sure they figured him tp be a 15 to 20 goal scorer and an eliet defensive player and leadership that is why he was drafted and that he why he was captain of the junior team for canada.. It has not panned out yet...But i doubt Gainey has given up on this kid yet either.

I think some of you need to relax a little. This is a message board and we all have our opinions about players etc... I didn't say I dislike Chip. I am a fan and have been really disappointed in him so much so that I have nicknamed him MR INVISIBLE. MY Opinion!!! Hasn't done anything to prove me wrong so far. I hope he does this season though....in the meantime my opinion is just that,MY OPINION!

Our team needs Chips to become a regular player. We do not have many 6'2" players in the system that are ready for the NHL. Not the same role. But it is only a matter of one to three games before Laraque pulls a groin, hurts his back, or has an upper body injury. We need some big forwards to fill roster spots. Chips can do the job. And unlike Metro he is not a small forward. Injuries and timing of the injuries has really hurt his progression with Montreal. IMHO.

Watch how Chips goes into the corners and gets the puck. Seriously. A lot of our players lack that skill.

Chips was his team captain in junior. Canadian World junior captain. Captain of the Bull Dogs.

Chips was drafted in the first round based primarily on his offensive skills. Several injuries and Chips is now a defensive player. It doesn't matter if the player is on the team for defensive or offensive reasons. So long as the player fills the role. I believe that Chips will fill the 3rd / 4th line defensive center role. Lapierre might be the biggest fan if this occurs as Lapierre could see time as the 2nd offensive center in the near future.

I agree that this is make or break for Chips. His waiver situation requires clearing waivers to or from the NHL based on his age. Solid play will guarantee Chips a job in Montreal, IMHO. Better then solid play on the PK or 5 on 5 will guarantee a contract renewal for Chips in 6 months.

Couple of other comments. I believe Chips is a faster skater then "some fans" think. Does anyone have proof that Chips is slow? IMO Latendresse is very slow, but this is his 4th season in Montreal. Hal Hill is a very slow skater based on a lot of fan opinions. Isn't this his 13th NHL season? Speed helps but playing positional hockey and a role within your limits has to be as important otherwise how do slow NHL players stay in the NHL?

I agree with what you are saying but I kind of laugh when you ask for proof that Chip is slow. Proof is watching him play and reading the expert reports. Like Chretien once said "the proof is the proof" He is below average in speed. That does not mean he cannot be a good player in the Habs organization. Like you said, he brings a lot to the table.

I hope your not referring to Guy Carboneua? He was a scoring wizard in Junior and that is exactly what he was drafted for, scoring...he learned to played a good defensive game in the AHL and that later translated to the NHL.

Also if that is Mike Keane he scored 153 points in his last 120 games in junior 60 of them were goals...so I don't think he was drafted for his defensive ability either.

No, you missed the point.

Of course they were both scorers in junior, but when Chips was drafted he wasnt being compared to what they were in junior (because he himself wasnt a scorer) he was being compared to what they were as NHL players.

Who compares someone to what they did as a 16 year old?

I think some of you need to relax a little. This is a message board and we all have our opinions about players etc... I didn't say I dislike Chip. I am a fan and have been really disappointed in him so much so that I have nicknamed him MR INVISIBLE. MY Opinion!!! Hasn't done anything to prove me wrong so far. I hope he does this season though....in the meantime my opinion is just that,MY OPINION!

LOL. You're the one using caps, perhaps you need to 'relax a little'

yes, you're fully welcome to state your opinion. And Im fully welcome to say that judging a guy before he's even stepped on to the ice this year is just one of the many reasons why Montreal fans & media are known around the league as overly critical and judgemental.

"people wonder why no one wants to play in montreal". That's bull crap.The main issue is the taxes.

Your opinion.

Taxes are one issue, yes but listen to guys who have left the team. Overly judgmental "fans" are one of the bigger issues. Having a mostly crap team for the last 15 years is another.

No, you missed the point.

Of course they were both scorers in junior, but when Chips was drafted he wasnt being compared to what they were in junior (because he himself wasnt a scorer) he was being compared to what they were as NHL players.

Who compares someone to what they did as a 16 year old?

Maybe I missed some of the earlier posts. Certainly using 16 is really stretching it though...when you talk about junior days usually 18 or 19 for most players --17 for the true elite players. Most 16 year olds don't even get to play Junior triple a---alot end up playing tier two somewhere...

Maybe I missed some of the earlier posts. Certainly using 16 is really stretching it though...when you talk about junior days usually 18 or 19 for most players --17 for the true elite players. Most 16 year olds don't even get to play Junior triple a---alot end up playing tier two somewhere...

Whatever, now you're splitting hairs. 16, 17, 18 - it doesnt matter. My point was that when Chips was drafted, he was being compared, by more than one anaylist to Mike Keane & Guy Carbonneau. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in Junior. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in the minors. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in their senior leagues.

Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau during their time in the NHL - as in, when they were checkers with a bit of offensive upside.

Is this a clearer description? Sheesh, you guys are just all over one missed word these days! Talk about tension since Markov went down!! :lol: :lol: :lol: