The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kyle Chipchura

AK-1

Awesome fight Chips :D

Thats the way to stay up in the NHL

Good fight but a tough game for Chips... he does, however deserve a break considering it was his first game since his shoulder surgery this off-season. He did not have the benefit of the pre-season like almost everyone else did. Time will tell if he is given that chance.

I thought he played better than his -3 may indicate. He worked out those little details, breaking up some plays on the backend. Like you said brian, it was his first game in a looong while, so we'll see what happens from now on.

responsible for 3 of the flames goals, weak on Nystrom on the first goal then the other 2 brutal turnovers that ended in out net, that last turnover that led to the flames winner oh good lord ridiculous to lay the puck on the oppositions stick like that.

coming off an injury or not you cant be that weak, you think you would be fired up

responsible for 3 of the flames goals, weak on Nystrom on the first goal then the other 2 brutal turnovers that ended in out net, that last turnover that led to the flames winner oh good lord ridiculous to lay the puck on the oppositions stick like that.

coming off an injury or not you cant be that weak, you think you would be fired up

I'd give him another chance,but I can't understand over the last year how our younger players don't seem fired up to keep their jobs and seem too comfortable and/or entitled to be here.SK 74 is the extreme case,but not the only one. Lats,Pacs,Dags,Stew and even Laps have had to be sent to the pressbox for motivation.

Responsible for three goals?

Whatever, now you're splitting hairs. 16, 17, 18 - it doesnt matter. My point was that when Chips was drafted, he was being compared, by more than one anaylist to Mike Keane & Guy Carbonneau. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in Junior. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in the minors. Not Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau in their senior leagues.

Mike Keane and Guy Carbonneau during their time in the NHL - as in, when they were checkers with a bit of offensive upside.

Is this a clearer description? Sheesh, you guys are just all over one missed word these days! Talk about tension since Markov went down!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ahh thats better, clearer and precise....

It makes it easier when we don't have to read your mind. ;)

hardly the case..if you want to pick one player of that line - you should look at gregory stewart..

he did not play that bad...he did not play that good either...but i will give him some slack,,it was his first game since whenever.

Responsible for three goals?

He was almost singlehandedly repsonsible for the first one. You can't just lean on a guy who's standing in front of the net and hope he doesn't score, you've got to either move him or take the puck (or at least break up the pass or something). For someone who's defensive-minded, that was pretty brutal.

He was directly involved in the second goal too, when he and Stewart couldn't clear it. I'd put this more on Stewart, though, as while Chippy's pass was hard Stewart should have been able to handle it and get it out.

The third goal was IMO the result of a slightly bogus penalty and had nothing to do with Chips, and I missed the fourth when my RDS feed cut out but he was at least on the ice (so I don't know how involved he was).

Anyways, I'm just saying that fight or no fight, first game or no first game, he was really, really bad for a 'defensive' forward. He was alright in their zone, yeah, but that's not what we pay him for. His -3 (or at minimum 2 of those 3, since I didn't see the fourth goal) was completely deserved.

EDIT: I'm not saying he's a terrible player or anything, since yeah he's young etc., but if he ever wants to earn a regular roster spot it will not be with play like that.

He was almost singlehandedly repsonsible for the first one. You can't just lean on a guy who's standing in front of the net and hope he doesn't score, you've got to either move him or take the puck (or at least break up the pass or something). For someone who's defensive-minded, that was pretty brutal.

He was directly involved in the second goal too, when he and Stewart couldn't clear it. I'd put this more on Stewart, though, as while Chippy's pass was hard Stewart should have been able to handle it and get it out.

The third goal was IMO the result of a slightly bogus penalty and had nothing to do with Chips, and I missed the fourth when my RDS feed cut out but he was at least on the ice (so I don't know how involved he was).

Anyways, I'm just saying that fight or no fight, first game or no first game, he was really, really bad for a 'defensive' forward. He was alright in their zone, yeah, but that's not what we pay him for. His -3 (or at minimum 2 of those 3, since I didn't see the fourth goal) was completely deserved.

EDIT: I'm not saying he's a terrible player or anything, since yeah he's young etc., but if he ever wants to earn a regular roster spot it will not be with play like that.

Mental errors to be sure... but again he didn't have the benefit of playing at all during the pre-season because he had undergone shoulder surgery. It is more than just the first game of the season.

Mental errors to be sure... but again he didn't have the benefit of playing at all during the pre-season because he had undergone shoulder surgery. It is more than just the first game of the season.

Yeah, I get that, and like I said I don't think he's a terrible player based on this game. But whether he played in preseason or not, the team is currently in the regular season and whatever his reasons are he needs to be too if he wants to play.

It's one thing to have a slow start, but he actually cost his team goals and possibly even points in the standings. There are reasons for this (shoulder surgery, etc) but it's not good enough just to have excuses.

Yeah, I get that, and like I said I don't think he's a terrible player based on this game. But whether he played in preseason or not, the team is currently in the regular season and whatever his reasons are he needs to be too if he wants to play.

It's one thing to have a slow start, but he actually cost his team goals and possibly even points in the standings. There are reasons for this (shoulder surgery, etc) but it's not good enough just to have excuses.

And I thought I was tough on the players :P Hopefully he will get better eh ;)

was just nice to see him out there tonight. he gives it his all. with no preseason to get him going he'll shake the rust off soon enough. mmw he'll only get stronger!

I thought this guy was supposed to be slow? Didn't look slow to me out there last night... he will stay with the team IMO. He's already shown me more of what I'd like to see with the Habs than any of, Pacioretty, D'Agostini and A.Kostitsyn :P

I thought this guy was supposed to be slow? Didn't look slow to me out there last night... he will stay with the team IMO. He's already shown me more of what I'd like to see with the Habs than any of, Pacioretty, D'Agostini and A.Kostitsyn :P

His slowness is way over exaggerated.

For those who were always mentioning his face-offs before, he's been 55% and up for his first three games.

I think we have to give him at least 15 games so he can show the coaches he is NHL ready and yes Chips might look lost or do something stupid once in a while as he learns but thats life.

Two years ago I thought he looked ready but Carbo went more with his vets except Sergei and Price and we all know what happened to them last year.

I kinda wish we had Martin back then too.

I'm cutting him some slack since he did not get a preseason and has played 0 hockey games since that debacle in Vancouver. If he continues to improve over the next couple games I wouldn't mind seeing him stay on in Stewart's spot for a while when Metro returns. Either he or Metro can play center depending on who is more effective. (Face off % obviously being a key factor).

I'm cutting him some slack since he did not get a preseason and has played 0 hockey games since that debacle in Vancouver. If he continues to improve over the next couple games I wouldn't mind seeing him stay on in Stewart's spot for a while when Metro returns. Either he or Metro can play center depending on who is more effective. (Face off % obviously being a key factor).

Playing behind a vet like Metro is no shame, Stewart doesn't add much at this point.

so far in the games he has played he has looked good. I think that there are too many people on here looking for every excuse for him to fail. He has got to be one of the best players on the team along the boards more often than not he comes out with the puck. but that is where the problem usually starts... he has not much to pass to. BGL is terrible. stewart had a hard time as well. max has been playing better there on that line, definatley brings skill but sometimes out of position. When metro comes back if either him or chip shifts to the wing along with max and BGL sees some press box time we will definatley have a much stronger 4th line that won't feel like a liability everytime there on the ice