The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tv Worth Watching?

Wayne-1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Other than a few select series that I borrow from the library, I don't watch much television.

I find myself checking out Fawlty Towers, Fishing with John, early Simpsons, Freaks & Geeks (mostly for nostalgia), Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 1 of Home Movies, uh...that's about it.

Other than a few select series that I borrow from the library, I don't watch much television.

I find myself checking out Fawlty Towers, Fishing with John, early Simpsons, Freaks & Geeks (mostly for nostalgia), Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 1 of Home Movies, uh...that's about it.

Love these.

Love these.

I could watch Fawlty Towers probably every day, and that's saying a lot since there are only 12 episodes!

I am watching "Missing" very well made, good story line and "Touch" with Kieffer Sutherland,really good programs,a lot of you like old English comedies,most of them I don't like but one of the funniest ever was a sit com called "Porridge" some of you older people might remember Ronnie Barker of the Two Ronnies he wrote and starred in this one,one of the cleverest writers of all time,it is so funny look it up some time, and Waiting for God, I have seen this here.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
200px-TBBT_logo.svg.png

• 2 months later...

Just downloaded season one of The X-Files. I'm going to run through the whole thing with the girlfriend.

I remember catching it from the first season in the early 90's. Use to play in the "late" primetime spot, not an 8pm airing. As it grew in popularity, I found the series changed some.

I forget exactly which season it was, but I started to lose interest after a while. Carter (the creator) had good story lines. My main issue was that it was an ongoing story from one episode to another, never ended. I was busy taking my mechanics courses, with gf and my band, so I would miss the odd episode. When the season became one long episode, I couldn't follow anymore. I preferred the old format where the case they were investigating started and finished in the same episode. That way if I missed the odd one I wasn't completely lost.

I eventually saw the complete series on DVD. Great series, but still was a tad "meh" around the 4-6th season for some reason.

As a series it was great, one of my all-time favorites. But as I mentioned before, there were a few season I didn't particularly like as much-the ongoing saga about his sister became old after a while.

Another great show by Chris Carter, came out prior to or just around 2000 was "Millennium". Had the typical Chris Carter feel, the typing font at the bottom of screen to tell you location/date/time. Didn't last as long and didn't seem to be as popular. I really liked it, it was darker than the x-files, dealing with even darker issues. A mix between "Criminal Minds" and "X-Files".

Similar type show, government investigating abnormal, odd even horrible crimes and supernatural type stuff.

Rewatching the Ken Burns: Jazz documentary. Recommended for fans of the music, though take it with a grain of salt as it brushes over some key musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember catching it from the first season in the early 90's. Use to play in the "late" primetime spot, not an 8pm airing. As it grew in popularity, I found the series changed some.

I forget exactly which season it was, but I started to lose interest after a while. Carter (the creator) had good story lines. My main issue was that it was an ongoing story from one episode to another, never ended. I was busy taking my mechanics courses, with gf and my band, so I would miss the odd episode. When the season became one long episode, I couldn't follow anymore. I preferred the old format where the case they were investigating started and finished in the same episode. That way if I missed the odd one I wasn't completely lost.

I eventually saw the complete series on DVD. Great series, but still was a tad "meh" around the 4-6th season for some reason.

As a series it was great, one of my all-time favorites. But as I mentioned before, there were a few season I didn't particularly like as much-the ongoing saga about his sister became old after a while.

Another great show by Chris Carter, came out prior to or just around 2000 was "Millennium". Had the typical Chris Carter feel, the typing font at the bottom of screen to tell you location/date/time. Didn't last as long and didn't seem to be as popular. I really liked it, it was darker than the x-files, dealing with even darker issues. A mix between "Criminal Minds" and "X-Files".

Similar type show, government investigating abnormal, odd even horrible crimes and supernatural type stuff.

I remember Millennium too. Although I can barely remember a thing about it. :lol:

Currently on season 5 of The X-Files. The girlfriend has already totally lost interest because of a lack of focus on dealing with the continuous story threads. Every time Alex Krycek shows up it makes little to no sense. I, too, prefer the "one-off" type episodes that deal with a contained story. Those are the most fun!

I am into the 5th season now ( god bless netflex) and i have noticed since the 4th season a change in the overall quality/ tone. Dont get me wrong, there are some good episodes, but nothing like the first 2 seasons. I don't mind the tongue in cheek humor but now it is starting to feel strained.

Millennium was a victim of the right show at the wrong time. If that showed aired now on say A& E along with criminal mines it would be a huge hit. Back then? no one knew what to do with it.

• 2 months later...

Nothing with commercials (which is 33% of air time).

Only on Netflix, or on the web.

I excuse some live sports of course, including all Habs games!

I can recommend the following series / serials:

• Justified
  • Sherlock
  • Life on Mars
  • Elementary (although some episodes miss)
  • CH24 ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since, I do the recording in our household, I record The walking dead and Under the Dome, for my lady B) Anything, towards horror or sci fi, she likes. I like them to, but not while eating pizza or popcorn, while it is on. I prefer any or classic hockey and sometimes martial art movies. She watch's Grim, sometimes, and when their faces, change, I am up for part of the night, with a cold one :o and looking for sports, to calm down :wub: