Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kubby31

Saku Koivu

271 posts in this topic

Anyone else think we should make a trade for him?

Gomez for Koivu? lol.

That's not really fair though. Same can be said for the ducks (5 points in 5 games) not that impressive.

I think the Ducks will heat up a bit, they have legit players, and IMO more talent than MTL currently has.

Gomez for Koivu? lol.

I think the Ducks will heat up a bit, they have legit players, and IMO more talent than MTL currently has.

Niedermayer,Perry,Getzlaf,Selanne to name a few ya i guess you could say that lol

Niedermayer,Perry,Getzlaf,Selanne to name a few ya i guess you could say that lol

Lol, point well argued.

Saku has a far better team beside him this year, I think we'll see a bit more of what he could have done, given the right players to play with.

Higgins/Ryder weren't exactly a powerhouse first line to centre.

Not a bad start at all if you look at our best players' stats ! :lol:

That part is important, 2 points in 6 games is clearly not impressive; although still better bang for the buck than Gomez considering their salaries :P Of course you can't judge much after 6 games for either player.

Rough start for the Ducks this season too.

Hope they start to notch some wins and Koivu starts to pick up some pts.

Tonight's game for Koivu will mark his 800th career NHL game.

He also have 192 goals, very likely he'll reach the 200 plateau this year.

He's also narrowing in on 500 assists (currently has 451) and I think he has a pretty good chance this season to break the 700 point mark (he currently has 643).

Congrats on 800 amazing games Koivu.

Too bad he's not celebrating that great milestone at home.

Tonight's game for Koivu will mark his 800th career NHL game.

He also have 192 goals, very likely he'll reach the 200 plateau this year.

He's also narrowing in on 500 assists (currently has 451) and I think he has a pretty good chance this season to break the 700 point mark (he currently has 643).

Congrats on 800 amazing games Koivu.

Too bad he's not celebrating that great milestone at home.

sak1.jpg

Way to go Saku...

I was watching the Wilds-Avs game and after Mikko scored the game tying clutch goal late in the 3rd the announcer was like, "And Captain Koivu comes through!!!!"

Made me sad :(

Saku sure was a beauty. Its beyond me why he couldn't stay on as a second line center, our team would be much stronger and have a lot more leadership and character. Its all about intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheets and this guy contributed more than his share on a daily basis.

Saku sure was a beauty. Its beyond me why he couldn't stay on as a second line center, our team would be much stronger and have a lot more leadership and character. Its all about intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheets and this guy contributed more than his share on a daily basis.

You don't know how much I agree with you...

It still makes me shake my head to know we let him walk right out the door.

You don't know how much I agree with you...

It still makes me shake my head to know we let him walk right out the door.

Based on Saku's comments trying to resign him would have been fruitless anyway. He said he made up his mind that it was time to move on.

Based on Saku's comments trying to resign him would have been fruitless anyway. He said he made up his mind that it was time to move on.

I've never read anything about that.

The only thing I read and saw was interviews with him saying he would like to stay in MTL...

I've never read anything about that.

The only thing I read and saw was interviews with him saying he would like to stay in MTL...

It was pretty recently, last week or so he did an interview with RDS and he said basically that he had made his mind up during the season that it was time for him and his family to move on and that when Gainey told him the organization was moving in another direction it made it that much easier.

I can't find the link although I'm sure someone will post it.

Oh, I've seen that before.

This was after he was already a Duck and Gainey decided not to re-sign him. What else is he gunna say? Prior to the decision not to resign him, he did an interview with CBC about how he wanted to remain in Montreal, he loved it there and it was home.

It's totally different than him in negotiations with the Habs and him coming out and saying that he "wanted a change," which he never did prior to being not re-signed.

Oh, I've seen that before.

This was after he was already a Duck and Gainey decided not to re-sign him. What else is he gunna say? Prior to the decision not to resign him, he did an interview with CBC about how he wanted to remain in Montreal, he loved it there and it was home.

It's totally different than him in negotiations with the Habs and him coming out and saying that he "wanted a change," which he never did prior to being not re-signed.

So you're implying he makes up a story about him and his family having decided to move on during last season before he even talked to Gainey? Seriously, I don't see why Koivu would do that :blink:

He just doesn't strike me as that kind of person, you know.

Edited by ChiLla

Here are some extracts from a finnish hockey magazine.

The Canadiens announced last summer that the icon who served nine years as captain is leaving. At first this sounds kinda harsh but Koivu is only happy with the change.

"I think its a fair game", says Koivu. "It was only a good thing because now I didn't have to take the ***** for making the decision. I would've felt bitter, if Montreal had made a ridiculous offer at this point."

"The thought of leaving came to me during last season. I knew that if I would stay in Montreal, at winter I would be wondering, what the f**k I'm doing here."

"I had to get somewhere where I could breathe and I needed a new challenge."

"I've never seen him so excited", says Selänne

He was ready leave, no question about that.

Oh boy, it was a mutual breakup? This certainly makes those "how dare the Habs treat their heart and soul like a fourth line goon" comments seem out of line. Enjoy the new scenery in Quackville, and thanks for all the memories!

Oh boy, it was a mutual breakup? This certainly makes those "how dare the Habs treat their heart and soul like a fourth line goon" comments seem out of line. Enjoy the new scenery in Quackville, and thanks for all the memories!

I am not one of THOSE that made those remarks in bold above...

Buttttttt,I am one that still feels the lose of Captain #11...still wishing he was here,in a habs jersey.

And yes...like Koivu,I have managed to move on & go on with my daily life :D

Saku,all the best as a duck....not forgotten here dude....#11 in Anaheim.

So you're implying he makes up a story about him and his family having decided to move on during last season before he even talked to Gainey? Seriously, I don't see why Koivu would do that :blink:

He just doesn't strike me as that kind of person, you know.

I can't find the link on youtube right now, but there was in interview Koivu did from his home and his kids and wife were also part of it. It aired during an intermission on CBC last season where he talked about how he wanted to remain in Montreal and that it was his home...

Sooo, obviously he hadn't decided to move on during last season if this aired mid-way through...

Here are some extracts from a finnish hockey magazine.

The Canadiens announced last summer that the icon who served nine years as captain is leaving. At first this sounds kinda harsh but Koivu is only happy with the change.

"I think its a fair game", says Koivu. "It was only a good thing because now I didn't have to take the ***** for making the decision. I would've felt bitter, if Montreal had made a ridiculous offer at this point."

"The thought of leaving came to me during last season. I knew that if I would stay in Montreal, at winter I would be wondering, what the f**k I'm doing here."

"I had to get somewhere where I could breathe and I needed a new challenge."

"I've never seen him so excited", says Selänne

He was ready leave, no question about that.

I dont' care if it's true or not true, either way I still love Koivu.

However, if it is true and he did want to leave I wouldn't hold it against him, this team is a dead end...

I can't find the link on youtube right now, but there was in interview Koivu did from his home and his kids and wife were also part of it. It aired during an intermission on CBC last season where he talked about how he wanted to remain in Montreal and that it was his home...

Sooo, obviously he hadn't decided to move on during last season if this aired mid-way through...

I've seen sufficient evidence not to believe into the "Koivu has been forced out of town" tale and I take Koivu's word for it.

I suggest we agree to disagree and leave it at that. :)

I still believe that Saku is just being diplomatic about moving on. It's the right thing to say when you're on a new team. You don't want to give the impression that you had unfinished business with your old team. Also, that translation from the Finnish hockey magazine looks a little sketch, to be honest.

I don't know if some of you remember my theory of 2 years ago when i talked about the fact that UFA's didn't sign here because of Koivu, but you gotta admit that it's kinda weird that the day he left people started signing here.... yeah you guys are gonna tell me "we're offering them a bunch of money..." it's not like we didn't try to do that in the past either.

Anyway :)

Enjoy Anaheim Saku.

Edited by "Rocket"