The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Saku Koivu

Kubby31

Yeah right, especially last year after the All-Star break this team looked so alive with Koivu in the lineup, I clearly remember how we where outshooting, outhustling, outworking and outscoring our opponents on a nightly basis. The icing on the cake was how we made the playoffs in such a convincing fashion, thanks to other teams losing while we just lost a little bit less. And the playoffs, how could I forget, how alive this team looked.

I respect Koivu a lot and he used to be one of my favorites on this team too but how about a reality check here? The Habs have been a mediocre hockey team for more than a decade with Koivu in the lineup. They've looked just a sluggish as the team looks right now with Koivu in the lineup. Other players besides Koivu gave 100 per cent and were exciting to watch too.

The Habs played bad hockey during the entire year of 2009 period, with and without Koivu in the lineup.

I didn't say he carried the team and single handedly won us games, I said he was exciting to watch. Even when the rest of the team played dead, he gave it his all. It may not have won us games, but it was more exciting than the snorefest Gainey's put on the ice today.

And with that said, the All-Star Break slump wasn't Koivu's fault, Price went into a bad slump and took the team down with him.

Like you said the Habs have been a mediocre hockey team for more than a decade, but Koivu was part of the team that finished first in the East not that long ago, which was our best finish in a long time.

Even without Koivu this team stinks. It's not like we traded him and improved.

We're worse this year than last.

I didn't say he carried the team and single handedly won us games, I said he was exciting to watch. Even when the rest of the team played dead, he gave it his all. It may not have won us games, but it was more exciting than the snorefest Gainey's put on the ice today.

And with that said, the All-Star Break slump wasn't Koivu's fault, Price went into a bad slump and took the team down with him.

Like you said the Habs have been a mediocre hockey team for more than a decade, but Koivu was part of the team that finished first in the East not that long ago, which was our best finish in a long time.

Even without Koivu this team stinks. It's not like we traded him and improved.

We're worse this year than last.

Well, I didn't say Koivu carried the team and single-handedly won us games either. I said he was part of a team that has been mediocre for decades.

As for the bolded part, I fail to see how Price's performance can be responsible for the team failing miserably at showing somewhat decent hockey for about 4 consecutive months. Price's performance was surely part of the problem but so were a lack of production by several players including Koivu, atrocious defensive play by Komisarek among others, and our vastly incompetent former head coach IMO.

Koivu was part of the team that finished first overall but I don't think he was the main reason for this accomplishment. Other players really stepped it up that year and our second line became our first line. You're right that we didn't trade Koivu, he signed with a different team after becoming a UFA. As for being a worse team than last year, I don't think so. All evidence suggests that last year's team build around Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay etc. was virtually incapable of winning a hockey game when Markov was injured. Comparing this year's team without Markov to last year's team with Markov is like comparing economic performance without taking the credit crunch into account.

Well, I didn't say Koivu carried the team and single-handedly won us games either. I said he was part of a team that has been mediocre for decades.

As for the bolded part, I fail to see how Price's performance can be responsible for the team failing miserably at showing somewhat decent hockey for about 4 consecutive months. Price's performance was surely part of the problem but so were a lack of production by several players including Koivu, atrocious defensive play by Komisarek among others, and our vastly incompetent former head coach IMO.

Koivu was part of the team that finished first overall but I don't think he was the main reason for this accomplishment. Other players really stepped it up that year and our second line became our first line. You're right that we didn't trade Koivu, he signed with a different team after becoming a UFA. As for being a worse team than last year, I don't think so. All evidence suggests that last year's team build around Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay etc. was virtually incapable of winning a hockey game when Markov was injured. Comparing this year's team without Markov to last year's team with Markov is like comparing economic performance without taking the credit crunch into account.

Strangely last years team was no much different from the team that finished in first the year before. The only differences were no pressure of centennial year, Kovalev playing with a lot of confidence on the powerplay, Plekanec/Andrei K/Sergei K playing great, and Streit on the powerplay. The team really shouldn't have been so bad but they seemed very fragile last year and everything fell apart.

Strangely last years team was no much different from the team that finished in first the year before. The only differences were no pressure of centennial year, Kovalev playing with a lot of confidence on the powerplay, Plekanec/Andrei K/Sergei K playing great, and Streit on the powerplay. The team really shouldn't have been so bad but they seemed very fragile last year and everything fell apart.

Agreed and nobody really saw it coming. We lost Streit and Ryder but acquired Lang, Tanguay and then traded for Schneider. Personally, I was absolutely convinced that last year's team was better than the one that finished first overall. It's unreal how the team has fallen apart, last year truly was a huge disappointment because we had great offensive talent and could actually roll 3 offensive lines when Sergei was still with the team. Now, we're having trouble finding a player that could fill the empty spot on our second line. Obviously, Bob didnt like what he saw when he coached the guys and made changes. I'm not saying all his moves were the right ones but he needed to do something after last year's team really stunk it up despite the firepower we had on offense. I mean Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Andrei, Sergei, Lang, Kovalev, Plekanec, Latendresse looks like decent personnel for filling your top 3 lines on paper. We all know how that turned out ...

Agreed and nobody really saw it coming. We lost Streit and Ryder but acquired Lang, Tanguay and then traded for Schneider. Personally, I was absolutely convinced that last year's team was better than the one that finished first overall. It's unreal how the team has fallen apart, last year truly was a huge disappointment because we had great offensive talent and could actually roll 3 offensive lines when Sergei was still with the team. Now, we're having trouble finding a player that could fill the empty spot on our second line. Obviously, Bob didnt like what he saw when he coached the guys and made changes. I'm not saying all his moves were the right ones but he needed to do something after last year's team really stunk it up despite the firepower we had on offense. I mean Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Andrei, Sergei, Lang, Kovalev, Plekanec, Latendresse looks like decent personnel for filling your top 3 lines on paper. We all know how that turned out ...

I feel they made the change because their top players were getting older and Bob needed to try and save his job. Bob couldn't afford to take a chance that the players would rebound this year. He had to get younger replacements to try and revitalize hope in the teams ability to win. So far it's not working out, but he tried. Of course there is still a long way to go in the season. I'm following Kovy more then the Habs at the moment, but I never liked the Gomez trade. He is not the elite center the team was looking for and he is way overpriced. People always complained about Kovy being overpriced, but he is nothing compared to Gomez most years.

I caught the game vs. the Flames last night and Koivu looked pretty good. He didn't pick up any points but I read he was 65.2 per cent in the faceoff circle.

He also got a fair bit of ice time with 21:56 and had four shots.

He looked better than the last Ducks game I watched. He had bounce, speed and was seriously all over the place last night.

I just can't fathom why he wasn't signed...Urrggh it makes me mad. Who would you rather have on the second line? Koivu, or Pleks? It's no contest. No offense to Pleks, but Koivu is in another league.

I love Saku but there's no way he'd be playing any better than Plekanec has been for us this year. He's been our best player.

I just can't fathom why he wasn't signed...Urrggh it makes me mad. Who would you rather have on the second line? Koivu, or Pleks? It's no contest. No offense to Pleks, but Koivu is in another league.

Koivu:

2-8-10 in 19GP

Plekanec:

5-19-24 in 25GP

I want Pleks on my first line right now, so yeah, i'd like Koivu on my second ;)

No offence to Koivu, i love this guy and his leadership and determination are from another world but production wise the numbers speak for themselves. of course, pleky benefits from playing with cammy but koivu's playing alongside selanne for most of the ducks games as far as i know (who's 14-5-19 in 24).

EDIT: btw, koivu has a +/- of 0, whereas plekanec is +8...

Koivu:

2-8-10 in 19GP

Plekanec:

5-19-24 in 25GP

I want Pleks on my first line right now, so yeah, i'd like Koivu on my second ;)

No offence to Koivu, i love this guy and his leadership and determination are from another world but production wise the numbers speak for themselves. of course, pleky benefits from playing with cammy but koivu's playing alongside selanne for most of the ducks games as far as i know (who's 14-5-19 in 24).

EDIT: btw, koivu has a +/- of 0, whereas plekanec is +8...

The difference is Koivu is playing more of a second line role on the Ducks. That is probably where he belongs anyway. Who expected Plekanec to rebound with a strong season this years after he couldn't seem to do anything last year? Most people wanted him gone and there may still be some who would like it because he is considered to soft for the playoffs.

The difference is Koivu is playing more of a second line role on the Ducks. That is probably where he belongs anyway. Who expected Plekanec to rebound with a strong season this years after he couldn't seem to do anything last year? Most people wanted him gone and there may still be some who would like it because he is considered to soft for the playoffs.

up until gomez was injured pleky was playing a second line role too and he was hot right from the get go... about the play-offs and being soft... i wouldn't call pleky soft, i don't think he shies away from anything. it's just that he, like most of our top offensive guys, is too small to really dish it out and make bigger, stronger guys pay. so if you want to argue that he is to small, i'd have to agree but also mention the size of our other top six players. i strongly disagree about pleky being soft though. but that's off topic ;)

I love Saku but there's no way he'd be playing any better than Plekanec has been for us this year. He's been our best player.

You're right, but Koivu has a more consistant career than Pleks, who seems to only show up every now and again. This season Plek's has been way better than Koivu, but I expect Pleks will fade away by the end of the season, or if not, early next season.

I have not seen any Ducks games this year. How is he playing?

I've caught about a hand full of Ducks games.

He's not producing tons, but I don't think he's playing bad, from what I've seen.

He's not making stupid mistakes and he's made some nice passes.

He's playing a second line role, and his speed looks good.

You can always tell he's on the ice because he's ALL OVER the ice.

Sucks that his effort isn't resulting in more points, but the team as a whole is struggling right now anyway.

The question should be: Who would you rather have on our first line, Pleks or Gomez? I'll take Pleks, thankyouverymuch. Then I would be most delighted to have Koivu on our second line.

Unfortunately, if we hadn't traded for Gomez, would Cammalleri be here? Probably not. And Gionta? Unlikely. Would Higgins still be here? Probably. Would the Habs be a better team than last year? Ummmm...no.

• 4 years later...