The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Saku Koivu

Kubby31

Guest mrsmarkov

Will not be offered a contract by the Ducks. Would you offer him a contract if you were MB?

Holy moly, that's a tough one. I honestly don't know if I could make my decision using my brain. My heart says absolutely! Signing him certainly wouldn't make sense considering that it looks like MB is leaning towards youth next season, but then again it would probably only be a one year deal. He can definitely still contribute in a way, so it's not a horrible idea..but I don't know. I think the money should be spent elsewhere, but it would be fitting to see him retire as a Hab. Status..undecided. :lol: I see the good and bad in bringing back Koivu.

Will not be offered a contract by the Ducks. Would you offer him a contract if you were MB?

1 year at 1 or 2 million wouldn't be overly risky if you feel there's room for him

But I didn't see many Anaheim games this year, so not sure if he has anything left in the tank. Clearly at best a 3rd or 4th liner at this point.

If we don't re-sign Gionta, it's an interesting possibility.

My heart says a big resounding YES, but my brain might not agree. If he could help us, then by all means,, but i'm pretty sure there are better options out there for the team.

My heart says a big resounding YES, but my brain might not agree. If he could help us, then by all means,, but i'm pretty sure there are better options out there for the team.

I think Koivu can be a decent third-line center and I think he'd love to come back. My worry is that it might be a distraction to the team to be moving back in history. I think there would also be questions about who the team's leader is... is it the guy with the history here or is it someone whose been in the room the past couple of seasons?

I think Koivu can be a decent third-line center and I think he'd love to come back. My worry is that it might be a distraction to the team to be moving back in history. I think there would also be questions about who the team's leader is... is it the guy with the history here or is it someone whose been in the room the past couple of seasons?

I'm less worried about that side of things, there can be more than one leader on the team. Plus, keep in mind when Koivu went to Anaheim (similar situation: experienced player, no history with team) he was immediately given an "A" on his ches.

The main questions are if he wants to keep playing, if he wants to come back to Montreal, and if we have room for him?

I'm less worried about it being disruptive, him not playing well, or things like that

I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand, Habs fans (IMO) love him. He loves the Habs (methinks). He (maybe) would like to retire here. He does provide leadership, by the way he plays. Has anyone seen him take a game off,,,let alone a shift off?

On the other hand,,,, what would we do with our centers that we have now? We have DD,,, Pleks,,,and Eller on the 1st 3 lines, and Gally-A waiting in the wings. Who would we move?

#cunundrum

I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand, Habs fans (IMO) love him. He loves the Habs (methinks). He (maybe) would like to retire here. He does provide leadership, by the way he plays. Has anyone seen him take a game off,,,let alone a shift off?

On the other hand,,,, what would we do with our centers that we have now? We have DD,,, Pleks,,,and Eller on the 1st 3 lines, and Gally-A waiting in the wings. Who would we move?

#cunundrum

Desharnais. That's not really a conundrum at all.

Guest archey

Bringing him back would be so European don't you think?

I don't know. I live next to a music festival (Ravinia) and I know maybe one group (Chicago). I'm so out of it.

It would send a message though no doubt. A message that I would like to hear, but as far as impressing players in the NHL to perform like Gaborik did in LA or anyone of that ilk I'd have to take everyone else's word on it. As i indidcated I only deal with crowds, not individuals.

As much as I love Saku, that ship has sailed imho.

If Bergevin was to make a couple of moves (ie ship of DD to move up in the draft or as a package to land a top 4 dman AND ship off Plekanec to fill our #1RW slot) then maybe you bring in Koivu to play 3rd line checking role. Right now our centre depth (in terms of what they bring - and what they potentially could bring) is like this:

1. Galchenyuk (assuming we move him to centre, he's probably got the goods to be our best player at that position since the early 90s)

2. Plekanec (is arguably our best centre right now, but falls back to 2 or 3 based on the performance of our 2 youngsters)

3. Eller (could be #2 if he can continue his strong playoff performance)

4. Desharnais (offensively he's got great vision but beyond that, there isnt much.)

5. Briere (is what he is at this stage in his career)

Saku would slot in somewhere between 4 and 5 imho... i just dont think we need that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest habs1952
John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl ·
#Habs announce they will honour Saku Koivu before the game against the Anaheim Ducks on December 18.

Get ready for a loooooonnnnnngggggggggg standing ovation and get your kleenex ready!