Saku Koivu

Kubby31

From the Ducks website

Koivu wastes no time fitting in with Ducks

His off-ice demeanor is serving notice.

By CURTIS ZUPKE

The Orange County Register

Comments | Recommend

ANAHEIM – There is no mistaking that new Finnish player for the Ducks.

Saku Koivu glides up ice with ease, his arms pumping in an exaggerated, fluid motion.

The former Montreal Canadiens captain undoubtedly has presence on the ice, but just four days into training camp, it's his off-ice demeanor that is serving notice.

"He fits in right away," teammate Ryan Carter said. "That says a lot about a guy when you come in and you feel like you know him already, even though it's only been (four) days."

Much of Koivu's time early on has been spent getting to know his teammates and getting settled into his new surroundings. Another aspect of his persona is Koivu is good in the locker room.

"Very professional," Bobby Ryan said. "He comes in the room, and he's got that 15-year swagger about him. He goes out of his way every day to talk to the guys. I think that's important for the young guys."

Koivu, considered to be more of a vocal leader, said he isn't shy about talking to some of those younger players.

"I always remember when I came to the league it felt good and made me feel a lot more comfortable when some of the older guys talked to me and gave me a couple of pointers," Koivu said before Thursday's exhibition game.

"I'm just trying to make things real comfortable, and if there's anything they want to ask or are not sure about and they feel comfortable enough to come and talk to us older guys, that always makes team chemistry better."

Teammates have picked up on how Koivu handles himself. Each day he is met by a small contingency of Finnish media, as well as out-of-town reporters, and he politely answers the same questions before beginning his post-practice workout.

Even on a team that already had veterans Scott Niedermayer, Teemu Selanne and Jean-Sebastien Gigure, his leadership is expected to go a long way.

"When young guys watch him (they) say, 'I need to do those little things. I need to pick up on how he carries himself and the preparation that he has to put in, not only for games but practices,'" Todd Marchant said. "Because of that, the culture that they're trying to create here will ultimately carry over to the young players."

DUCKS LOSE

Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider combined to make 28 saves as Vancouver shut out the Ducks, 3-0, at Honda Center on Thursday night. Todd Marchant was stopped by Schneider on a penalty shot early in third period.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere allowed two goals on 16 shots in almost 30 minutes of action before he was relieved by Justin Pogge. The Ducks play at Phoenix tonight.

Though I hate to see Koivu somewhere else, I'm glad it's with the Ducks.

I don't know much about them (though I have a feeling I'll get to know the Ducks a bit better this year), but I browse their forums a lot and the fans there seem mature, respectful and generally excited to have Koivu there.

It's unlike reading this board where negativity was always swirling in Koivu's thread during the pre-season, season and playoffs.

I haven't read one bad thing over there in regards to him.

Looks like he finally has the fans he deserves and it looks like he's finally getting the opportunity to play with some talent for a change.

With that said, in the game Vs. the Sharks he was sporting the "A" - looked good on him.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-saku-k...0,6749034.story

Saku Koivu follows his instincts to the Ducks

The long-time captain for the Montreal Canadiens, a cancer survivor, says embracing change has given him a spark and he looks forward to finding his place with his new team.

Another good link to a story posted on the Ducks board.

[quote name='habs_fan1160' date='Sep 22 2009, 05:00 PM' post='1541882'

The Ducks play at Phoenix tonight.

Since I cannot find this pre-season game on center ice...I'll have to settle for watching leafs/pens. ;) TSN.

Would have prefered to watch Sakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I haven't seen him play yet.

I almost passed out when I saw him in the Ducks jersey for the first time lol...

There hasn't been and Ducks pre-season games on where I'm at.

Though I can't wait to see him play, right now I'm leaving through the Ducks website/message boards.

Though I hate to see Koivu somewhere else, I'm glad it's with the Ducks.

I don't know much about them (though I have a feeling I'll get to know the Ducks a bit better this year), but I browse their forums a lot and the fans there seem mature, respectful and generally excited to have Koivu there.

It's unlike reading this board where negativity was always swirling in Koivu's thread during the pre-season, season and playoffs.

I haven't read one bad thing over there in regards to him.

Looks like he finally has the fans he deserves and it looks like he's finally getting the opportunity to play with some talent for a change.

With that said, in the game Vs. the Sharks he was sporting the "A" - looked good on him.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-saku-k...0,6749034.story

Saku Koivu follows his instincts to the Ducks

The long-time captain for the Montreal Canadiens, a cancer survivor, says embracing change has given him a spark and he looks forward to finding his place with his new team.

Another good link to a story posted on the Ducks board.

the city loved saku but there was always this contingent of people who hated saku for whatever ungodly and mind blowing reason, but you know what they missed out on appreciating a great human being who doesnt come along every day

I think if any team between the two don't make the playoffs this year it's going to be the Habs. The Ducks have legitiment talent, I get the feeling the Habs are just plugging holes.

Anyway, be bitter towards Saku all you want.

The Habs legends, such as the Pocket Rocket, Jean, Roy, Lafleur would disagree with you in a heartbeat.

Saku haters are getting old.

I hope both the Habs/Ducks do well this season.

If it comes between the Habs/Ducks then obviously the Habs.

But if the Habs don't make the playoffs (like I have a feeling they won't), then it's Ducks to the finals.

the city loved saku but there was always this contingent of people who hated saku for whatever ungodly and mind blowing reason, but you know what they missed out on appreciating a great human being who doesnt come along every day

Outside of our Habs winning the Cup, I couldn't think of a better end to the season than Saku hoisting Lord Stanley's mug. All the best for the coming season, Saks!

Agreed,too both posts.....I've made my views known in threads regarding us letting captain #11 walk...I'll leave it at that.

Again,much success to Sakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Good for Saku. It's really nice to see him establishing something as a Duck, even though it's also heart-breaking that he's playing in goddang Anaheim and not in Montreal, as God intended.

He seems to be quite popular there already, they have a few fan favourites already, so it's nice to see Saku move up into that too. From what I've read on the Ducks board they're all really excited to have him.

At least he has fans that'll treat him right.

Koivu had 2 assists tonight against the Canucks when Ducks beat Canucks 3-2 in OT @Vancouver

including setting up Teemu for the OT winner. Saku and Teemu are rekindling the chemistry they have had with the Finn national team. Finland is a dark horse in the Olympics but don't count them out of the medals.