The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Saku Koivu

Kubby31

1g, 1a! Go Saku! :D

Personally, I'm loving Saku as a Duck. I'm happy he was here for so long, but I was also happy that he was able to move on without much commotion to a competitive team where he can be bothered less. Anaheim has some good pieces in place to make a Cup run, and I hope Saku finally gets what he deserves with Anaheim... Lord Stanley's Cup! Or, well... Assuming Montreal doesn't have a chance. :lol:

1g, 1a! Go Saku! :D

Personally, I'm loving Saku as a Duck. I'm happy he was here for so long, but I was also happy that he was able to move on without much commotion to a competitive team where he can be bothered less. Anaheim has some good pieces in place to make a Cup run, and I hope Saku finally gets what he deserves with Anaheim... Lord Stanley's Cup! Or, well... Assuming Montreal doesn't have a chance. :lol:

I feel the same way if the Habs don't have a shot at the cup I'll be rooting for the Ducks in the playoffs.

:)

Neat story, Coach. :)

I too am happy to see Saku off to a good start in Anaheim, though it still makes me shudder to realize that he's a Duck, not a Hab. I mean, what the hell? :blink: :blink:

im not happy about it never will be, saku wanted to come back here waited and waited for an offer from Bob that never came. Gainey is the reason saku wont finish his career in the CH like he should have

All the UFA wanted to come back. :rolleyes:

The core was getting pretty old. The only guy I'm surprised he didn't bring back is Tanguay who was signed for really cheap. The rest of the players wanted to come back, but in reality Saku and Kovalev are both better off on their current teams at they don't have to be the number one/two offensive players and they don't have to be the leaders either. The Habs have a younger core to work with so it seemed to work out for everyone.

Well I think his point was that unlike a guy like Komisarek Saku didn't bolt for a few extra dollars and if we had made an offer he would have taken it.

Yes, I agree with you on that. But, think about.. Dandenault, or even Bouillon... They are not extra mega hot players, but they could've given us help ... And they wanted to stay too!

As a second center, yes of course. As a captain, no. But you know... I think it was time for a big clean up, and even Kovalev who I wanted so bad to see with us this year, it was time for them to go and time for us to have a new team.

Well Bob took over as coach and he definitely saw something he didn't like chemistry/room wise, that's obvious by the sheer number of players let go IMO. The problem you run into as an organization sometimes with a player of Koivu's stature is that it's hard to decrease their role, I'm sure Koivu would have been willing to take on a lesser role, but sometimes it's just harder for both parties that way. Definitely couldn't have had Koivu back without the C, he would have gotten eaten alive by the media and it would have caused all kind of needed tension.

When Bob signed Koivu to his last contract he broke his "no contracts during the season" rule for it and when asked why he said it was a special matter because it was his captain. Something happened between then and now to change Bob's opinion I suppose, or maybe he just felt it was time for a completely different voice like it was time to go in a different direction leadership wise, and he knew Saku couldn't be back without the C on his jersey. I really have no idea what happened behind closed doors. I loved Saku and hoped he would have retired in the CH but it's part of the business, being a Braves fan I watched Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz all walk away and play for other organizations and those are 3 future hall of famers so I'm used to it.

I just wanted to express a few thoughts as an Anaheim Ducks Fan. We here are well aware of the love you have for Saku Koivu. We know that if Koivu was allowed to stay with the Canadiens He would have resigned with the Organization in a minute. He loved the Habs and did not want to leave his team and his home of 13 years. When the Habs did not resign him, our message boards came alive with the possiblity that the Ducks might get lucky and sign him. For a month rumors abounded to that eventuality. We hoped our own revered Teemu would influence Saku into considering us for his next stop. The thought of those two together on our team was very exciting. We thought he might sign with the Wild and skate with his brother. He could have signed with any team. When the news came through that Koivu would give us a chance by signing a 1 year contract we were very excited. Teemu came through. Saku made an immediate impression with the guys in the locker room and with the Fans. The Coach made him an alternate Captain along with our Ryan Getzlaff.

I just want to say we are thrilled to have your beloved Koivu on the Ducks and we hope to get him a Stanley Cup Ring this year.

I just wanted to express a few thoughts as an Anaheim Ducks Fan. We here are well aware of the love you have for Saku Koivu. We know that if Koivu was allowed to stay with the Canadiens He would have resigned with the Organization in a minute. He loved the Habs and did not want to leave his team and his home of 13 years. When the Habs did not resign him, our message boards came alive with the possiblity that the Ducks might get lucky and sign him. For a month rumors abounded to that eventuality. We hoped our own revered Teemu would influence Saku into considering us for his next stop. The thought of those two together on our team was very exciting. We thought he might sign with the Wild and skate with his brother. He could have signed with any team. When the news came through that Koivu would give us a chance by signing a 1 year contract we were very excited. Teemu came through. Saku made an immediate impression with the guys in the locker room and with the Fans. The Coach made him an alternate Captain along with our Ryan Getzlaff.

I just want to say we are thrilled to have your beloved Koivu on the Ducks and we hope to get him a Stanley Cup Ring this year.

I find this post depressing. ;):lol: .....only because I miss #11 in a habs jersey,in a bad way.

Enjoy SAKU...and if he does contribute to your ducks in winning a stanley cup...I'd be as happy for him as you duck fans.

GO SAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Lol, very true.

And he's probably getting less ice time with the Ducks than he was with the Habs.

He's actually been getting 20 minutes per game, which is significantly more then he got in the last few years with the Habs. That number will probably go down though.

He's actually been getting 20 minutes per game, which is significantly more then he got in the last few years with the Habs. That number will probably go down though.

That's interesting.

I thought for sure he'd be getting less ice time with the Ducks - they're talent pool is far richer than ours.

Glad to see Koivu with such a great role with the Ducks.

Look at how much the Habs have improved without Koivu. :unsure:

That's interesting.

I thought for sure he'd be getting less ice time with the Ducks - they're talent pool is far richer than ours.

Glad to see Koivu with such a great role with the Ducks.

Look at how much the Habs have improved without Koivu. :unsure:

That's not really fair though. Same can be said for the ducks (5 points in 5 games) not that impressive.

That's not really fair though. Same can be said for the ducks (5 points in 5 games) not that impressive.

Yeah and they were the 8th seed last year too... The Ducks have a great first line but last season we had Pleks, Lang and Lapierre to go with Saku we had more depth down the middle so it limited his minutes a bit more. I hope Anaheim plans on reeling him back a bit more because at 20 per night Saku will definitely wear down.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/284095.html

Interesting. Apparently Koivu and his family came to the conclusion during last year's season that a change of scenery would be a good thing. He said he was also looking for a new challenge. When the organization actually told him that he wasn't being offered a new contract, leaving Montreal was less difficult. (paraphrasing)