The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I still believe that Saku is just being diplomatic about moving on. It's the right thing to say when you're on a new team. You don't want to give the impression that you had unfinished business with your old team. Also, that translation from the Finnish hockey magazine looks a little sketch, to be honest.

Agreed.

Prior to him signing with the Ducks and prior to BG stating that Koivu wasn't in the plans for the Habs he kept saying over and over that he'd love to stay here.

Like I said before, what's he supposed to say? "Well I really wanted to stay with the Habs, but since it didn't work out the Ducks will do."?

I don't know if some of you remember my theory of 2 years ago when i talked about the fact that UFA's didn't sign here because of Koivu, but you gotta admit that it's kinda weird that the day he left people started signing here.... yeah you guys are gonna tell me "we're offering them a bunch of money..." it's not like we didn't try to do that in the past either.

Anyway :)

Enjoy Anaheim Saku.

That's all it is, is your theory.

My theory is that the Habs will win the cup this year...

See a theory from a fan means nothing.

I can't find the link on youtube right now, but there was in interview Koivu did from his home and his kids and wife were also part of it. It aired during an intermission on CBC last season where he talked about how he wanted to remain in Montreal and that it was his home...

Sooo, obviously he hadn't decided to move on during last season if this aired mid-way through...

I dont' care if it's true or not true, either way I still love Koivu.

However, if it is true and he did want to leave I wouldn't hold it against him, this team is a dead end...

Awesome statement, very positive indeed! Can you explain what you meant by th Habs being a dead end?

Like I said before, what's he supposed to say? "Well I really wanted to stay with the Habs, but since it didn't work out the Ducks will do."?

By the same token what's he supposed to say before July 1st to the Montreal media "I can't wait to be a UFA so I can bolt on outta here." It's just as likely he was being diplomatic then as he is now so who knows. It's over and done with.

I still believe that Saku is just being diplomatic about moving on. It's the right thing to say when you're on a new team. You don't want to give the impression that you had unfinished business with your old team. Also, that translation from the Finnish hockey magazine looks a little sketch, to be honest.

Could be, it's tough to tell. I'd also like to know the context, there is a big difference between when someone volunteers information and someone giving a diplomatic response to a question.

Awesome statement, very positive indeed! Can you explain what you meant by th Habs being a dead end?

They haven't had a good team since Roy left, they have to overpay average to decent players to get them to play here - limiting what we can have on the team.

Every year is the same, "Ohh, the Habs are a fantastic team this year..."

Second round playoff exit.

THat's what I meant about the deadend comment.

We'be bascially been the same team since 1994.

1 G and 2 A in 10 games. -5

Is he playing better than his stats are showing?

Still think he will have his best offensive season? :unsure:

He'll turn it around.

The whole team is struggling right now, check the stats for the team.

It's not like he's underachieving an a team that's doing well, the team itself is struggling.

I think the Ducks will settle in and have a pretty good team come Christmas.

The facts are even simpler. Saku was a great leader. Not a great player. Longest reign as captain in Canadiens history to not win a cup, not to go to cup, not to be a real threat for the cup. Yeah I know they were a 1 seed 2 years ago did anyone really think they could win it all ?? Great leader valiant. not a great player

To suggest that Saku Koivu was responsible for Bob's failures as a GM is just plain disrespectful to Saku.

The only reason why i care about Saku is because he's making me money this year, my friend bet me 500$ that Saku would have a career high season with Anaheim this year.

:lol:

And i didn't put all the blame on Saku and Bob, im just saying, if i was a UFA myself a few years back (let's say a winger) why would i sign with a team who's first center is Koivu when i know for a fact that he's no first liner whatsoever?

I'm not even gonna go with Koivu diva attitude when he was in Montreal :)

Those were good reasons not to come here.

Edited by "Rocket"
Sigh. In the case of Briere and Hossa, our offers were not the best on the table. Therefore, we were unsuccessful.

To suggest that Saku Koivu was responsible for Bob's failures as a GM is just plain disrespectful to Saku.

Didn't we offer Briere something like 55 mill over I don't know 7 or 8 years....he turned it down and played for less in Philly

I can't find the link on youtube right now, but there was in interview Koivu did from his home and his kids and wife were also part of it. It aired during an intermission on CBC last season where he talked about how he wanted to remain in Montreal and that it was his home...

Sooo, obviously he hadn't decided to move on during last season if this aired mid-way through...

I dont' care if it's true or not true, either way I still love Koivu.

However, if it is true and he did want to leave I wouldn't hold it against him, this team is a dead end...

so you suggest keeping Kovy and Koivu and Tanguay and Komi ?.This team has a lot more up-side then if Gainey had stood pat ....I'm a big fan of Kovy and Saku but I'll take the new guys and a new direction in a heartbeat

so you suggest keeping Kovy and Koivu and Tanguay and Komi ?.This team has a lot more up-side then if Gainey had stood pat ....I'm a big fan of Kovy and Saku but I'll take the new guys and a new direction in a heartbeat

I would have kept Kovy and Koivu for sure.

Tanguay and Komi didn't really bring a whole lot.

I like some of the new players on the team. I love the addition of Cammy, not so much Gomez.

Everything that he's done for the great city of Montreal on his own time through his time there....and they will thank him by booing.....hummmm.

Yes...I realize that I'm not talking about him not winning no championships here,not even close.....but he's been so good to the people/fans of this hometown......really would be so unclassy ( as is the total opposite of Saku ) to boo him....just my thoughts.

I would never go as far as booing him.

He did some good stuff outside the ice rink that's for sure, but inside of it, it was another story lol.

That's such a horrid comment to make, because it shows that you haven't took the time to look at Koivu's stats with the Habs, or care to make a knowledgeable comment regarding his skill.

He's 10th on the list for all time points with the Habs, his name ranks with players like Boom Boom, Shutt, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Robinson, Maurice and Henri Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur. Some of which, played more games with the Habs than Saku. BTW he had 641 points.

He's sixth on the all time roster for assists, the only ones in front of him - Lemaire, Robinson, Henri Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur.

And for being a playmaker, not a goal scorer, he's 27th for goals - again, among some of the teams best players.

Also, he's 7th on the team with game winning goals - with 35 of them.

So really, you bash him for lack of skill you're bashing some of the greats with this team.

Again, research before you post - he's done a lot for the City of Montreal off the ice, but he's held his own on the ice, especially for being a smaller player, plagued with injury.

6 pts in 6 games....

I figured he'd pick it up, he's always been a pretty slow starter.

I would say our new "big line" isn't much of an improvement on Koivu and they come with a much larger price tag.

Gomez - 10 pts

Cammy - 14 pts

Gionta - 10 pts

And Koivu has 8 - with quit the pay drop from those three.

Just a thought.